The Student Room Group

Edexcel Official Chemistry Paper1:Core Inorganic and Physical Chemistry - 27th of May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
I forgot to mention lattice structure! But wrote all about the bonding and electrical conductivity and high melting pint, this okay?

As long as you mentioned the fact that the boiling and melting point is affected by the strength of the electrostatic attatction between the delocalised electrons and the metal atoms, and the fact that there are delocalised electrons which can carry the charge, then you're fine :smile:
Ah that makes sense, as last year they had some coursework so it was less per written exam
How many marks do you reckon for at least a C?
Yeah I did exactly that! Thank you :smile:
Original post by Glparker123
How many marks do you reckon for at least a C?

I'd guess about 47 marks. It's hard to know because it's a new specification.
For the polar bonds question - Q1, 2nd page- were they asking about the polar bonds in CLF3 or CIF3?

I read it as the latter, and so talked about the C-I non-polar bond, and the C-F polar bond, but I've heard from friends that what I mistook to be an 'I' (for iodine) is actually an 'L' (for chlorine).

Just wondering if I was blind and completely misread the compound, and, if I talked correctly about the polarity of the bonds with a reason, whether I should be able to salvage a mark? Thanks
I misread it as Chlorine :frown: so upset and hope I get some marks still :frown: it was probably CI
Original post by clairebear101
I misread it as Chlorine :frown: so upset and hope I get some marks still :frown: it was probably CI

I'm pretty sure it was chlorine
I am pretty sure it is chlorine because it was an inorganic paper and a compound with carbon is organic. Furthermore, compounds with carbon are not commonly referred to using molecular formulae and it would be called iodotrifluoromethane. I don't think edexcel are trying to trick us by using similar symbols. Chlorine triflouride does exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agh that's playing on my mind now- I read it as Cl (chlorine) bonded to F3. However it could have been C I F3 (carbon iodine and flourine). The problem is that lower case L and upper case i look the same. Not very clever from edexcel, should have tried to avoid any confusion.

I expect that there will be about a 50/50 split in those who read it 1 way or the other. When things like this happen, the chief examiner will often amend the marking criteria if lots of people write correct answers, but couldn't identify what the question was asking.
Original post by Cryptokyo
I am pretty sure it is chlorine because it was an inorganic paper and a compound with carbon is organic. Furthermore, compounds with carbon are not commonly referred to using molecular formulae and it would be called iodotrifluoromethane. I don't think edexcel are trying to trick us by using similar symbols. Chlorine triflouride does exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was still stupid of them though, but I also did it as chlorine trifluoride. Wasn't the question asking about the bond polarities? What did you put? I said that the bonds would be polar due to electronegativity difference, and that Cl would be delta positive as it is less electronegative. I also quoted the Pauling values from the data book.
Original post by richpanda
It was still stupid of them though, but I also did it as chlorine trifluoride. Wasn't the question asking about the bond polarities? What did you put? I said that the bonds would be polar due to electronegativity difference, and that Cl would be delta positive as it is less electronegative. I also quoted the Pauling values from the data book.

The question was about bond polarities and I did the same as you and compared electronegativity to show that it was a polar bond.
It was definitely Chlorine. It was an inter-halogen of Cl and F, which formed a Distorted T shape if you drew it out (but that bits not important) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke about it being an unsymmetrical shape, therefore the bond polarities wouldn't cancel out, so it is a polar molecule. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
I dont think the question was about the overall molecule polarity just about the individual bond polarity
Original post by Florent venhari
I spoke about it being an unsymmetrical shape, therefore the bond polarities wouldn't cancel out, so it is a polar molecule. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shk
I dont think the question was about the overall molecule polarity just about the individual bond polarity

Well, the question was 3 marks, so two would be for the definition, so I could get the last mark if it is accepted in the mark scheme, but if not, oh well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Has anyone made or started making an unofficial mark scheme for this paper ?
Agh that's playing on my mind now- I read it as Cl (chlorine) bonded to F3. However it could have been C I F3 (carbon iodine and flourine). The problem is that lower case L and upper case i look the same. Not very clever from edexcel, should have tried to avoid any confusion.

I expect that there will be about a 50/50 split in those who read it 1 way or the other. When things like this happen, the chief examiner will often amend the marking criteria if lots of people write correct answers, but couldn't identify what the question was asking.

They said it was "Chlorine triflouride"
This is exactly what I put hahah
Original post by loveire&song
They said it was "Chlorine triflouride"

Really!! I thought I messed it up? Who did??

Quick Reply

Latest