The Student Room Group

The EU has spoiled my speakers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plstudent
How do you know? You don't even know what product we are talking about. Many products won't even target a European market which is why EU regulations would be far more unnecessary.

How do you know it would be possible for an SME to run two lines of production for each of their products? 44% of trade goes to the EU, we're not going to suddenly cut it off and begin trading with somewhere like the Americans

See, more speculation from a brexiter.
Original post by offhegoes
My speakers don't do this. That tells me that either:

1) Gigaworks are applying the directive incorrectly

2) Gigaworks simply didn't make their speakers energy-efficient enough to enable them to be always-on

3) Gigaworks haven't managed a low-power solution to the time it takes for the speakers to turn on

no no no no no no no! dont blame the company we must blame the EU!
Reply 22
Original post by lolatmaths

Sorry I forgot!
Reply 23
How do you know it would be possible for an SME to run two lines of production for each of their products?

You don't need two lines of production. You can have a simpler version and modify it to comply to EU standards. Creative certainly has a simpler version of these speakers in the US.
44% of trade goes to the EU, we're not going to suddenly cut it off and begin trading with somewhere like the Americans
That means that 56% of trade doesn't. Do you seriously believe every company exports to the EU? The UK and the Americas already trade...
Reply 24
My speakers don't do this. That tells me that either:

1) Gigaworks are applying the directive incorrectly

2) Gigaworks simply didn't make their speakers energy-efficient enough to enable them to be always-on

3) Gigaworks haven't managed a low-power solution to the time it takes for the speakers to turn on

2 and 3 are simply blaming the victim. They can make perfectly functional speakers for the US but have to go through loops to sell in Europe. That is not their fault. That is the bureaucrats in Brussels telling them what to do and deciding what is efficient enough.
You don't need two lines of production. You can have a simpler version and modify it to comply to EU standards. Creative certainly has a simpler version of these speakers in the US.

It's more complex than just "create a simpler version".
That means that 56% of trade doesn't. Do you seriously believe every company exports to the EU? The UK and the Americas already trade...
Yes, we already trade. What makes you so confident than out of spite of the EU we're going to cut off all trade links and suddenly increase trade links with non EU countries? 44% is HUGE. Seriously, this just shows how reckless you are.I can see that the way you argue is by simplifying the issue right down to the point where its no longer arguable and suits your agenda. Suit yourself, im not bothered to argue with you, especially since you have blamed the EU for your speakers (you look like an idiot, btw)
Reply 26

It was Creative that (rightly) pointed to the EU on this. Unless you are suggesting they are closet Brexiteers, your claim is just nonsense.
God, this is easily the most cringe-worthy post I have seen in a long time.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Because of the EU, we have to make do with shoddy speakers that are only trying to save power and energy. Oh wait, I'm in the EU, and my speakers are as energy efficient as they are working just fine.

Is this why you're voting leave, bro? The biggest disgrace is not that we import two thirds of our cheese, or that foreigners are coming over and forcing us to learn Polski in order to speak to our builders, but that one person in the sixty million that make up Britain's population is getting malfunctioning speakers?

Thanks for making us all laugh, kiddo. Oh, sorry, DJ Farage.
Reply 28
It was Creative that (rightly) pointed to the EU on this. Unless you are suggesting they are closet Brexiteers, your claim is just nonsense.

I'm suggesting that they are passing on the blame. There are many companies don't have this feature/issue with their speakers.

We ought to make things more enegery-efficient where possible, in my opinion. If you find that this effort to make things energy-efficient compromises the use of the speakers to you, return them and get some that don't have this "issue".
Reply 29
44% is HUGE. Seriously, this just shows how reckless you are.I can see that the way you argue is by simplifying the issue right down to the point where its no longer arguable and suits your agenda. Suit yourself, im not bothered to argue with you, especially since you have blamed the EU for your speakers (you look like an idiot, btw)

You clearly do not understand trade in the slightest. Have you read the data? No, of course you haven't. I have attached the data to this post - read it and look at our exports. You will see our goods are expensive, price inelastic, income elastic, high quality goods. Of course about half of our exports will go to about half of the worlds richest economic command.

The company manufactured it. They're responsible for it. If they were efficiently made then it would turn on the moment the speakers started to play music. You realise we got this issue bigger than the EU which is global warming right? Dont blame the incompetence of the company for the failure of the speakers.

So many other companies have perfectly working speakers, why has this one caused an issue? If it was an issue felt by all companies then fine, the EU is to blame but this is just one example.

yeah, i think they saw you as a simpleton and you just bought their ******** EU story. I wonder why all the other speakers dont have the same issue eh? They should have modified it properly to suit EU standards.

Funnily enough, the EU protectionist policies are also what is keeping our trade deficit controllable, if we leave that would spiral out of control.
Reply 31
I'm suggesting that they are passing on the blame. There are many companies don't have this feature/issue with their speakers.

The first would be believable if they didn't have a similar version in the US that works just fine. Their product sucks because they have to comply to EU rules. If they didn't, it wouldn't suck. Can it get any clearer than that?

There are many companies don't have this feature/issue with their speakers.
We would need to look at the products and determine why. Maybe it is because they are less powerful and use less energy.
2 and 3 are simply blaming the victim. They can make perfectly functional speakers for the US but have to go through loops to sell in Europe. That is not their fault. That is the bureaucrats in Brussels telling them what to do and deciding what is efficient enough.

Its up to creative to find a way to make the directive work.
If they dont want to comply with the directive they can just trade outside the EU.
Whether we are in or outside the EU, creative will send you the EU version because it makes more sense cost wise.

If its really impairing your life so much then find a work around or if you cant cope with it, then sell the speakers on ebay and get some others without the power saving feature.
Original post by Anno007
You clearly do not understand trade in the slightest. Have you read the data? No, of course you haven't. I have attached the data to this post - read it and look at our exports. You will see our goods are expensive, price inelastic, income elastic, high quality goods. Of course about half of our exports will go to about half of the worlds richest economic command.

Are you disputing the 44% figure? I dont see how what types of goods we export have any relevance. (great work btw, shoving in all your a level economics knowledge to make yourself look like some expert)
Reply 34
Original post by 999tigger
Its up to creative to find a way to make the directive work..

It's up to European countries to be rid of EU regulations.

If they dont want to comply with the directive they can just trade outside the EU.

And if the British don't want the EU, they can just vote LEAVE in the referendum. :wink:
Whether we are in or outside the EU, creative will send you the EU version because it makes more sense cost wise.

Why can't Creative ship the US version to the UK and the EU version to Germany? I see no problem in them doing that.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Nope and Nope, about to get a bbq on the go (Hopefully the directives on my bbq allow me to summon a flame) :redface:. Not trawling google for it, feel free to do so yourself

HERE YOU GO :

In particular, as set out in the Decision, the following aspects are to be dealt with in asatisfactory manner with respect to all relevant types of personal music players, includingthe performance of earphones and headphones that are intended to be used with personalmusic players :

(1) Exposure to sound levels shall be limited to avoid hearing damage. At 80dB(A) exposure shall be limited to 40 hours/week, whereas at 89 dB(A)exposure shall be limited to 5 hours/week. For other exposure levels a linearintra- and extrapolation applies. Account shall be taken of the dynamic rangeof sound and the reasonably foreseeable use of these devices; and

(2) Adequate warnings on the risks involved in using the device and to the waysof avoiding them and information to users in cases exposure poses a risk ofhearing damage. Information should also be provided when the original set ofearphones is replaced with another type and this causes higher unsafe soundlevels.

http://www.etsi.org/images/files/ECMandates/m452%20EN.pdf

So you're annoyed at the EU from preventing us being subject to potentially deafening noises?
Okay then.

The desperation is laughable.
Reply 36
The company manufactured it. They're responsible for it. If they were efficiently made then it would turn on the moment the speakers started to play music. You realise we got this issue bigger than the EU which is global warming right? Dont blame the incompetence of the company for the failure of the speakers.

So many other companies have perfectly working speakers, why has this one caused an issue? If it was an issue felt by all companies then fine, the EU is to blame but this is just one example.

yeah, i think they saw you as a simpleton and you just bought their ******** EU story. I wonder why all the other speakers dont have the same issue eh? They should have modified it properly to suit EU standards.

Funnily enough, the EU protectionist policies are also what is keeping our trade deficit controllable, if we leave that would spiral out of control.

You are seriously calling Creative incompetent? They are among the best companies in the world for PC multimedia devices. Stop trying to stuff global warming everywhere.

The rest of your post simply shows that you haven't read the links in the OP. It is many models that are affected.
Reply 37
Are you disputing the 44% figure? I dont see how what types of goods we export have any relevance. (great work btw, shoving in all your a level economics knowledge to make yourself look like some expert)

Right, so just because part of Marshall economics is taught at A level in the UK, his work is somehow irrelevant. Get out you economic ignoramus. He was one of the most important economists of all time and his work is still very relevant today.

The types of goods we export are one of the most important determinants of the value of our exports and who it goes to. Of course we aren't exporting a large proportion of the value of our exports to the poor ASEAN countries, India, China, or poor countries in Africa and Latin America. They don't demand the nuclear reactors, advanced machinery, advanced electronics, expensive motor vehicles, and pharmaceuticals etc. that we produce.
You are seriously calling Creative incompetent? They are among the best companies in the world for PC multimedia devices. Stop trying to stuff global warming everywhere.

The rest of your post simply shows that you haven't read the links in the OP. It is many models that are affected.

You've ignored my post. Btw, the links prove that only Creative is facing an issue.

he company manufactured it. They're responsible for it. If they were efficiently made then it would turn on the moment the speakers started to play music.
Original post by Anno007
Right, so just because part of Marshall economics is taught at A level in the UK, his work is somehow irrelevant. Get out you economic ignoramus. He was one of the most important economists of all time and his work is still very relevant today.

The types of goods we export are one of the most important determinants of the value of our exports and who it goes to. Of course we aren't exporting a large proportion of the value of our exports to the poor ASEAN countries, India, China, or poor countries in Africa and Latin America. They don't demand the nuclear reactors, advanced machinery, advanced electronics, expensive motor vehicles, and pharmaceuticals etc. that we produce.

Well done, you do A level economics you wanna medal?

44% of our trade goes to the EU. There's already a large market of 500 million people that we actively trade to.

Now idek what your problem is, you've just been spitting out what you've learnt at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending