The Student Room Group

Taking the supposedly 4 hardest A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
Surely what matters more is how hard you find the subject than the average person?

E.g. I would have found 4 essay based subjects 10 x harder than four science subjects. Saying Further Maths is the hardest A Level doesn't really mean much if you're good at maths and bad at say English.

Exactly this. I did Maths and Physics and found them easier than Psychology (which I only did to AS) because that's the way my brain works. The difficultly of a subject is not an objective thing, it depends on the person.

Also, doing related subjects can make A levels overall easier (e.g. lots of sciences and maths) rather than doing say two sciences and two essay-based subjects, as the style of question is similar and there may be some overlap in content.
Reply 121
I might do chemistry for a level..is it hard?
Options:
Maths
Economics
Chemistry
Are these hard?
Reply 122
Original post by moshe015
People saying Biology is just memerising havent done the new course. Its much harder now just like all the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is different about the new specification that makes it more difficult?
Theres no ISA, instead theres practical questions in the exam which are difficult and hard to prepare for. Theyve also moved A2 content down to AS in every science and theyre asking many more application questions especially in biology so just memerising is not enought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, some would say that they are doing harder A levels, or just as hard subjects. But, at A Level, all subjects would seem hard at first, because of the big jump from GCSE to A level. A lot of hard work can help make those subjects easier for sure.

I'm sure a lot of people are doing the same subjects, or similar subjects next year, so you will get a lot of support in terms of the workload. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics next year. I'm sure that if you work hard, have interest in lessons and stuff, you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 125
Original post by moshe015
Theres no ISA, instead theres practical questions in the exam which are difficult and hard to prepare for. Theyve also moved A2 content down to AS in every science and theyre asking many more application questions especially in biology so just memerising is not enought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find that I am better at understanding and applying rather than memorising so perhaps the changes are better for me. Also what do you mean by practical questions?
(edited 7 years ago)
I said memerising isnt enough, it still has to be done. Look Im sure youll be able to manage as thousands of students taking similar A levels do. All Im saying is just be sure theyre what you want to do before you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Samii123
It's good to hear that you coped well with it, what did you get for your grades at the end of A2?

I managed to get A*A*A*A with the A being my Mathematics (found the statistics module extremely confusing). A combo of Math, Physics, Chemistry and Biology isnt really the most difficult A-Level combination. (They work coherently and you'd find a handful of Chemistry topics over at Biology)

So if you're all set in taking the triple sciences and math, look at it as a challenge and not a burden. Taking four subjects doesnt neccessarily mean you'd have no social life, i thoroughly enjoyed my time at A-Levels and im sure you would too!
Reply 128
I find that I am better at understanding and applying rather than memorising so perhaps the changes are better for me. Also what do you mean by practical questions?

Some questions from Practical papers are asked in written exams, so you essentially have to really imagine whats going on and apply your knowledge from there.
Reply 129
In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

I'm doing that too but if you like it and you get it, then for you its a better option than anything else. Surely if these are the subjects you enjoy and are good at then for you they will be the easiest. The idea of 'hardest a levels' is actually a very personal opinion because everyone struggles with different things
Original post by surina16
Yeah aha I'm a bit apprehensive about Bio because of all the plant crap that they throw in there but I want to do something like medicine or biochem lmao :biggrin:
How do you find the other 3 subjects?

Math and Futher are awesome. I do MEI which I actually like. Chem is hard. Much harder than Maths for me.
It's also quite interesting though. You get to learn some cool stuff. In the end, it all depends on what way you're inclined.
Original post by Anon_98
I think you just need to be doing work throughout the year. Do half an hour a day. You'll be fine as long as you attend all your lessons, do your homework etc. I don't even think extra reading in every second of your free time is requried tbh. Of course you can have a social life. If you just keep on top of your class work then you'll manage fine. Don't be silly about anything. If you don't understand something, address it until you understand. Make sure you do this for everything + anything you don't understand. Talk to your teachers, they are there to help you. Don't leave it till the week before your exams.

Hm.

Well, Chemistry is by far the easiest. No memorisation is really required, it's more about understanding concepts and once you do- it feels pretty simple. I thought it was my easiest A-level by a long way.

Maths just requires practice. Practice whenever you can + you'll find it manageable.

Biology is horrible. Too much memorisation. Too much application. Ew.

Physics is also horrible. Double ew.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you keep on top of things. That is the most important thing. Obviously you might prefer Biology over Maths + whatnot but that's just how I found it. Try not to get wrapped up in what everyone says about your subject choices bc otherwise you'll go in with a mind set that it'll be difficult before you even begin and that might subconsciously hinder your progress, if that makes sense. Anyway, good luck!

By no way is chemistry the easiest what a joke, especially if you are doing ocr b salters
Original post by CDMagu98
By no way is chemistry the easiest what a joke, especially if you are doing ocr b salters

It's just my opinion, wasn't expecting everyone to agree. I'm on AQA.
In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?

I do all 4 and thought it would be very hard - especially chemistry , but it turns out chemistry is the easiest of the 4 and you just have to put in a bit of work for the rest, at the end of they day it is mostly about how many facts you can be bothered to learn :smile:
Dude I did very well at GCSE, took 3 of the hardest a levels ( Maths, Physics and computer science) and then i took a BTEC, it was a mistake i promise. PHYSICS IS AIDS. but if you feel like you can manage try it. Unlike me you can always drop one, it's not the end of the world.
Original post by Chembio123
Out of curiosity can I ask why you would be doing AS chemistry when you are what, 14, 15? Lmao

Ahead of everyone else and having nothing more to learn for GCSE Chemistry, they decided they could start me on it, since I'm planning on taking it for A-Level.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got myself a 99p A*/A grade revision guide/notes of ebay and it covered my entire AS and A2 subjects and it was in note form so it was so easy to revise which made the courses so easy for me. The ebay sellers name is bargaindealsdev if you interested, you can enter it into google and it will come up and all their notes for a ton of subjects are all 99p. They also have other subjects which are good too :smile: Hope that helps
I'm doing A2 Biology and Maths this year.. Personally I've found Maths pretty straight forwards but Biology is a killer. I love learning about it but the AQA exams are a joke. Good luck :smile:
Reply 138
I did Maths Physics and Bio.

All I can say is R.I.P.
I chose 3 essay based subjects, gonna need a miracle lol plus Bio AS

Quick Reply

Latest