The Student Room Group

The EU has spoiled my speakers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plstudent
It's up to European countries to be rid of EU regulations.

Except this one they created for a reason, which was power saving. They appear to be ok with the regulation, so no need to remove it.

And if the British don't want the EU, they can just vote LEAVE in the referendum. :wink:

They can, but its not looking good for the Brexit campaign. If Creative want to sell in the EU then they have to comply.

Why can't Creative ship the US version to the UK and the EU version to Germany? I see no problem in them doing that.

Because companies like to economise. Less hassle just to send all EU stock to Europe. It wouldnt make it illegal to sell in the UK.
Reply 41
Original post by 999tigger
Except this one they created for a reason, which was power saving. They appear to be ok with the regulation, so no need to remove it.

Well, I am not OK and most people have no idea about it.
They can, but its not looking good for the Brexit campaign.
Even if Brexit doesn't happen, we will continue to push until the UK gains independence.
Because companies like to economise. Less hassle just to send all EU stock to Europe. It wouldnt make it illegal to sell in the UK.

Less hassle? How much more difficult is it? Product sorting in Europe is needed anyway because different European countries usually speak different languages.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by lolatmaths
Well done, you do A level economics you wanna medal?

44% of our trade goes to the EU. There's already a large market of 500 million people that we actively trade to.

Now idek what your problem is, you've just been spitting out what you've learnt at school.

I never did A levels, I was schooled in the US. My problem is that your argument doesn't make sense.

Your argument is that the UK exports 44% of the value of its exports to the EU - therefore it should remain in the EU. This is not a substantive argument in economic terms.

We don't need to use degree-level+ economics to address this problem. There are minute liquidity-trap implications, etc. (+ for he UK btw), but what is relevant is 100+ year-old trade theory.
Reply 43
Original post by Betelgeuse-
OHH MY GAWWD A VISA!! YOU WOULD NEED A VISAA!

You poor poor thing! ... How do the millions of people worldwide outside the EU ever summon the strength and fortitude to travel to other countries with a Visa!? I heard a Visa is worse than child birth! Those brave brave non EU globetrotters

That's why they have to plan ahead! :biggrin: You, sure are not spontaneous.

One day I woke up and bought a ticket to Italy. Just because... why not?

But hey, I won't vote in the Referendum.
Whatever side wins the result will be the same.

Just like Boaty McBoatFace :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Anno007
Someone doesn't understand tariffs and trading blocs. Go and do econ 101 before you vote, please.

Sorry, I know what I am talking as I have a degree in Finance, 1 in Marketing and a Masters in Marketing Analytics. :smile:

EDIT: in case you say I had bad grades, well I finished with a 1st, had a prize for internationalization project! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
You've ignored my post. Btw, the links prove that only Creative is facing an issue.

Wrong. The link shows that Creative is having a problem with it. It doesn't tell us whether other companies are having a problem.

Yhe company manufactured it. They're responsible for it. If they were efficiently made then it would turn on the moment the speakers started to play music.
I assume you are an audio engineer with several years of experience so you can assure us it would be easy to come up with such a solution? Many powerful speakers take time to turn on. I doubt this can be solved easily.
Reply 46
Original post by JCampos
Sorry, I know what I am talking as I have a degree in Finance, 1 in Marketing and a Masters in Marketing Analytics. :smile:

EDIT: in case you say I had bad grades, well I finished with a 1st, had a prize for internationalization project! :smile:

You need to boost your macro game then mate.
Well, I am not OK and most people have no idea about it.

Stop whining and go and find a real world solition as suggested before. There will be other people who appreciate a power saving feature. It seems that Creative have just implemented a solution poorly.

Even if Brexit doesn't happen, we will continue to push until the UK gains independence.

Your first answer was illogical, but yes am sure your response will be to carry on trying, even if you lose.

Less hassle? How much more difficult is it? Product sorting in Europe is needed anyway because different European countries usually speak different languages.

Thats why you see most manufacturers produce a single set of packaging and instructions, which contain all the languages once. It saves them money rather than having a different one for each country.
Reply 48
Original post by Anno007
You need to boost your macro game then mate.

Anyway, I am Portuguese, I won't vote.

But many people remember of the arguments England used against Scotland leaving UK? - well all EU are in the same boat, for better or for worst. It's like a marriage.

Anyway, I love UK. I think it's a wonderful country and I hope people will have some conscience and do some research before voting.
Reply 49
Stop whining and go and find a real world solition as suggested before. There will be other people who appreciate a power saving feature. It seems that Creative have just implemented a solution poorly.

Maybe there is no solution. And even if there was, I have a right to complain about the EU spoiling my PC audio experience.

Your first answer was illogical, but yes am sure your response will be to carry on trying, even if you lose.

No it wasn't. The point was that EU law is not natural law. We can change it and it is often wrong.

Thats why you see most manufacturers produce a single set of packaging and instructions, which contain all the languages once. It saves them money rather than having a different one for each country.

And many others have only one single language on the boxes. Once again: do you honestly believe it would be much of a hassle to have a different version for the UK, Switzerland, etc and another for the EU? I don't buy that for a second. In a case like this, it could decide whether the product succeeds or fails.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by JCampos
Anyway, I am Portuguese, I won't vote.

But many people remember of the arguments England used against Scotland leaving UK? - well all EU are in the same boat, for better or for worst. It's like a marriage.

Anyway, I love UK. I think it's a wonderful country and I hope people will have some conscience and do some research before voting.

I can't vote either as a US citizen.

I don't have faith in the general public to research before voting. There is no evidence to suggest that they will. They will vote based on what opinion they have formed from viewing and reading mass media and what their friends, family, and co-workers, etc. say.

That is why the UK will vote to remain. It is also why Hillary will be the next president in the US. It's the reason why I hate politics at the moment. Predicting things correctly is just far too easy. The only major call in the past 5 years that was difficult was the last outcome of the UK general election. I was right however, but it makes perfect sense now that campaign spending information has been released.
Wrong. The link shows that Creative is having a problem with it. It doesn't tell us whether other companies are having a problem.

So? You cant make a claim that other companies are suffering too. My Bose speakers work fine, and my cheap bluetooth speakers work fine too.

I assume you are an audio engineer with several years of experience so you can assure us it would be easy to come up with such a solution? Many powerful speakers take time to turn on. I doubt this can be solved easily.
As i said, this is an issue that isnt felt by other speakers. It seems pretty easily solvable if other companies seem unaffected.
Original post by Anno007
I never did A levels, I was schooled in the US. My problem is that your argument doesn't make sense.

Your argument is that the UK exports 44% of the value of its exports to the EU - therefore it should remain in the EU. This is not a substantive argument in economic terms.

We don't need to use degree-level+ economics to address this problem. There are minute liquidity-trap implications, etc. (+ for he UK btw), but what is relevant is 100+ year-old trade theory.

Good for you mate but there are 16 yr olds who've learnt this stuff.

I didnt say that is my only reason. In economic terms, that is one aspect of it. This isnt a remain or leave argument thread.

your trade theory is irrelevant. It maybe price inelastic, high tech etc etc but how is that relevant when we already have trade deals with the EU that accumulate to 44% of our international trade? surely leaving would put this at risk, considering that all we can do is speculate?

Im sure we can sit here and argue about more complex issues like liquidity trap (hardly relevant but whatever) but ultimately the remain side has the economic argument as its strongpoint and when most respectable economists have said staying is better than leaving economically, it shows how leaving could be a reckless decison. For starters we can fall into a recession so bad that we may never recover from it and reach the levels of prosperity that we are experiencing now.
First our kettles, now this! When will the madness end???? :eek:
Reply 54
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
God, this is easily the most cringe-worthy post I have seen in a long time.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Because of the EU, we have to make do with shoddy speakers that are only trying to save power and energy. Oh wait, I'm in the EU, and my speakers are as energy efficient as they are working just fine.

Is this why you're voting leave, bro? The biggest disgrace is not that we import two thirds of our cheese, or that foreigners are coming over and forcing us to learn Polski in order to speak to our builders, but that one person in the sixty million that make up Britain's population is getting malfunctioning speakers?

Thanks for making us all laugh, kiddo. Oh, sorry, DJ Farage.

We want our laws back
We want our courts back
We want our borders back
We want our passports back
We want our powerful speakers back

I'll tell Nigel about the last part. It will win us the referendum. :wink:
Reply 55
The first would be believable if they didn't have a similar version in the US that works just fine. Their product sucks because they have to comply to EU rules. If they didn't, it wouldn't suck. Can it get any clearer than that?

Just because another country finds it acceptable doesn't mean we should. Plenty of countries around the world don't take any responsibility for the environment, the US included. I'm pleased the EU is doing such work.

We would need to look at the products and determine why. Maybe it is because they are less powerful and use less energy.

My 500W amp doesn't do this. My own Pc speakers, with a higher power rating than the Gigabyte ones, don't. I think this is a Gigabyte issue, either in terms of a lack of understanding or a lack of ability to sort it out.
Maybe there is no solution. And even if there was, I have a right to complain about the EU spoiling my PC audio experience.

Ofc you have a right just as others do to say you are whining rather than finidning a real life solution.

No it wasn't. The point was that EU law is not natural law. We can change it and it is often wrong.

Its man made just like other legal laws. EU law is as natural as those laws.

And many others have only one single language on the boxes. Once again: do you honestly believe it would be much of a hassle to have a different version for the UK, Switzerland, etc and another for the EU? I don't buy that for a second. In a case like this, it could decide whether the product succeeds or fails.

For a small company like creative it makes sense to have one product they cna just ship to the European region. If they find that the sale of their speakers is suffering, then they should look at the design and how other manufacturers arent letting the regulation hold them back from making sales.
So? You cant make a claim that other companies are suffering too. My Bose speakers work fine, and my cheap bluetooth speakers work fine too.

As i said, this is an issue that isnt felt by other speakers. It seems pretty easily solvable if other companies seem unaffected.

He would rather blame the EU than look at how other speaker manufacturers have dealt with the challenge.
Reply 58
Original post by SW19!
I only deal in facts. Not theories, beliefs or speculation. Some facts of the EU are as follows:

1. UK is now governed by non elected bureaucrats from Europe.

2. We cannot remove these people from their position of great power should the population of the UK decide they would like to.

3. The EU refused to 'allow' the UK Government to dredge our rivers to prevent flooding. Hundreds of our citizens lost their homes due to flooding. (there are loads of examples of absurd EU decision making similar to this)

4. The EU started as a Trade partnership only. (now look at what it's become)

5. The EU have never signed off their accounts. (where exactly is all the money going?)

6. The EU has taken over OUR Fishing industry to the detriment of UK fishermen.

7. The EU is playing a very dangerous game of encroaching upon the Russian border.

8. The UK was told to hand over 1.8 billion pounds of our tax payers money as a single payment over and above our usual daily membership rate....because we have a stronger economy than other EU countries. (could be interpreted as a form of Communism)

And so I could go on and on and on.........

VISA free travel, although I agree is a good thing to have, really isn't a huge argument to want to remain part of this. Thanks.

Brits, can elect their euro deputies that will make part of the European Parliament just as much as they elect their government.

Your 7th point is not exactly the EU but NATO.

Every membership has its fees obviously. You go to the gym you need to pay a fee. You want free trade in EU (and other perks) you have to pay a fee... cruel world
Original post by Bornblue
So you're annoyed at the EU from preventing us being subject to potentially deafening noises?
Okay then.

The desperation is laughable.

"Potentially" -

A food blender 3ft away is 90db - I dont hear many people becoming deaf thanks to their nutribullet - A rock band is about 110db yet i dont see support for people having THEIR CHOICE to attend rock concerts being taken away from them...

Yet we cant buy a pair of headphones that exceeds 80db. Like i said, treated like small impoverished children who cant and shouldnt be allowed to make decisions for ourselves. You might want that, most people do not. No thankyou
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply