The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into a top uni for Economics without FM or Econ at A Level?

Hi, I posted this on the A Level forum but feel it's more appropriate to post here:
I'm an AS student taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and I decided I want to study Economics at Uni.
I'm planning on dropping Biology and I'm predicting an A*AA for Maths,
Chemistry, and Philosophy respectively. I also have an A* in Persian, but as it's just a native language I assume it doesn't account for much.
I also got 6A*s 4As 2Bs for GCSE
Having not taken Further Maths or Economics, what are the chances of me getting into a uni such as UCL or Warwick to study Econ, given that I achieve those grades and write a good PS? Thanks
Reply 1
bump
Original post by aminoff
Hi, I posted this on the A Level forum but feel it's more appropriate to post here:
I'm an AS student taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and I decided I want to study Economics at Uni.
I'm planning on dropping Biology and I'm predicting an A*AA for Maths,
Chemistry, and Philosophy respectively. I also have an A* in Persian, but as it's just a native language I assume it doesn't account for much.
I also got 6A*s 4As 2Bs for GCSE
Having not taken Further Maths or Economics, what are the chances of me getting into a uni such as UCL or Warwick to study Econ, given that I achieve those grades and write a good PS? Thanks

you should be fine! due to you having studied mathematics for A-Level it is unlikely that they will turn you down, additionally the A* in Persian will count substantially and you should definitely not exclude this in your personal statement. Im in a similar position however when i was at the Oxford Summer School last year they advised me that they will set another exam judging your math/english skills so you should be okay! sorry that probably made no sense but anyway..
Reply 3
Original post by connormc199
you should be fine! due to you having studied mathematics for A-Level it is unlikely that they will turn you down, additionally the A* in Persian will count substantially and you should definitely not exclude this in your personal statement. Im in a similar position however when i was at the Oxford Summer School last year they advised me that they will set another exam judging your math/english skills so you should be okay! sorry that probably made no sense but anyway..

Hi, thanks for the reply! And thanks for the advice regarding the personal statement too.
And oh right what was the Oxford Summer School like? Was it Economics related or just general for applying to Oxford? I missed out by not thinking a lot about university courses last year aha
I won a scholarship to study Law and PPE (politics, philosophy and Economics) and i received information on both - what the course entailed and what the application process into oxbridge is like.
I thought the course was very good and it gave me an insight into what life at uni was like and specifically what oxford was like
Reply 5
I won a scholarship to study Law and PPE (politics, philosophy and Economics) and i received information on both - what the course entailed and what the application process into oxbridge is like.
I thought the course was very good and it gave me an insight into what life at uni was like and specifically what oxford was like

Damn that's amazing. Will you be starting in 2017? And what did you decide to study? Congrats man!
Original post by aminoff
Damn that's amazing. Will you be starting in 2017? And what did you decide to study? Congrats man!

yeah but i dont think il be getting into oxbridge:frown: I studied both while i was on the course and im now leaning more towards PPE rather than law!
Reply 7
yeah but i dont think il be getting into oxbridge:frown: I studied both while i was on the course and im now leaning more towards PPE rather than law!

Ah there's always a hope I guess, and good choice ahaha. I was trying to choose between Law and Economics at the beginning of the year and went with the latter as well
Original post by aminoff
Ah there's always a hope I guess, and good choice ahaha. I was trying to choose between Law and Economics at the beginning of the year and went with the latter as well

Yeah law as a career looks good but as a student it looks horrible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending