The Student Room Group

Shares portfolio for new investor

Hi,

I am soon to begin investing, which will be with a 10 year goal in mind of increasing value. I will start with £100 a month and as my career progresses I hope to increase this.

I was wondering what people's though are on good shares to buy.

I was thinking:
-Google (huge gains already made but I see this continuing)
-Amazon (as before, I think online shopping will increase, and they dominate the market)
-Nuclear Power, I think this will be the future of energy. I was thinking EDF but perhaps a less well-known provider would be better. I have no expertise here.
-Robotics. This I believe is a huge area for growth but I do not know who to invest in.
-ASOS. Big gains made already but have dipped somewhat. I think ASOS will do really well over the next few years as they are the best online fashion retailer (also a third of my uni's post seems to come from ASOS)

I also discovered Marlborough UK Micro Cap Growth which invests in smaller UK companies (less than £250m) which is of course riskier but they have a decent track record, and have a very diverse portfolio. I believe the UK economy has a strong future and now may be a good time to buy due to brexit uncertainty.

What do you think? Would these make a decent portfoilio for growth over 10 years? Ant particular robotics or nuclear companies that could be a good choice?

Thanks
Original post by number23
Hi,

I am soon to begin investing, which will be with a 10 year goal in mind of increasing value. I will start with £100 a month and as my career progresses I hope to increase this.

I was thinking:
-Amazon (as before, I think online shopping will increase, and they dominate the market)
-Nuclear Power, I think this will be the future of energy. I was thinking EDF but perhaps a less well-known provider would be better. I have no expertise here.
-Robotics. This I believe is a huge area for growth but I do not know who to invest in.
-ASOS. Big gains made already but have dipped somewhat. I think ASOS will do really well over the next few years as they are the best online fashion retailer (also a third of my uni's post seems to come from ASOS)

I also discovered Marlborough UK Micro Cap Growth which invests in smaller UK companies (less than £250m) which is of course riskier but they have a decent track record, and have a very diverse portfolio. I believe the UK economy has a strong future and now may be a good time to buy due to brexit uncertainty.

What do you think? Would these make a decent portfoilio for growth over 10 years? Ant particular robotics or nuclear companies that could be a good choice?

Thanks

at the moment oil could be worth a bet as it sitting so low and will grow soon
another risky way is to directly investing start up and small businesses some will return the cash with a large percentage (10-50% returns in a year) or with equity that can potentially grow exponentially

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by jamesthehustler
at the moment oil could be worth a bet as it sitting so low and will grow soon
another risky way is to directly investing start up and small businesses some will return the cash with a large percentage (10-50% returns in a year) or with equity that can potentially grow exponentially

Spoiler

OK thanks. I agree oil is good to buy. Obviously it will run out in the medium/long term, but probably a good investment for a year or so.

What would be a good share to invest in to make the most of the low oil price?

I saw this article http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/020916/5-stocks-buy-oil-rebounds.asp

Shall I just pick one of them?

I am thinking of also going for natural/organic food and nuclear energy sectors... going by what I believe are growing industries
Reply 3
Hi,

I was thinking:

Thanks

I would check if holding foreign shares (Google/Amazon) will have costs.

Whilst i think neither pays dividends( some brokers have fees for foreign dividends) given very small initial holdings buying shares directly in either might have cost issues in proportion to the holdings, thus impairing performance.

Given initially very limited funds you might consider collective investments initially (not all eggs in one basket) and purchase more individual stocks when your portfolio has a bit more critical mass.

At least with regular investment (and you want to work out an efficient minimum purchase size) pound cost averaging should temper initial risks.
Reply 4
Original post by DJKL
I would check if holding foreign shares (Google/Amazon) will have costs.

Whilst i think neither pays dividends( some brokers have fees for foreign dividends) given very small initial holdings buying shares directly in either might have cost issues in proportion to the holdings, thus impairing performance.

Given initially very limited funds you might consider collective investments initially (not all eggs in one basket) and purchase more individual stocks when your portfolio has a bit more critical mass.

At least with regular investment (and you want to work out an efficient minimum purchase size) pound cost averaging should temper initial risks.

Yes it will only be £100 a week, but this will be long term, so after 10 years I will have put in £12, 000. I want to start early due to compound interest, and I have a genuine interest in the stock market.

Would a better plan be to select around 5 UK-based stocks in emerging markets (nuclear, organic food, robotics...) that have had a decent track record?
OK thanks. I agree oil is good to buy. Obviously it will run out in the medium/long term, but probably a good investment for a year or so.

What would be a good share to invest in to make the most of the low oil price?

I saw this article http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/020916/5-stocks-buy-oil-rebounds.asp

Shall I just pick one of them?

I am thinking of also going for natural/organic food and nuclear energy sectors... going by what I believe are growing industries

i'd agree as you looking for long term investments
also look into what warren buffett says most of his cash was made from investing and he's the 3rd richest guy on the planet
he's said that he would never consider tobacco or alcohol company's long term for a start

Spoiler

Reply 6
ok thanks

so I need less stocks to override costs but enough to have a diverse portfolio.. given that it probably is best as you say to use a tracker. Would you recommend doing this with say Hargreaves Lansdown, or setting up a stocks and shares ISA with Lloyds, Virgin.. which have ready made tracker portfolios. Although I have heard the fees are high for these.

I am not just looking at past performanance, but also if there is a future demand for the industry

I think there are huge gains in say the robotics industry for the long term investment.

Would opening up an account with Hargreaves Lansdown and investing £100 a month into one company which has good potential and has positive recommendations upon doing research be a good first move? In a few months, when I have more to spare I can invest more money and select another stock after careful research.

The stock I am thinking of is Intuitive Surgical, one of the leading companies for robotic surgery, and I have read many articles recommending this stock. I think it has potential for growth..

My idea is to keep all stocks for at least 5 years, and every few months adding a new stock to my portfolio.

Could I do much better than this in my situation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending