The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

25/05/2016

Just done Core 2, seemed to go really well! Should get at the very minimum 90UMS, hopefully 95. Now I've got this afternoon and the whole of tomorrow to focus on my first Chemistry paper- yay! So today I'm going to be doing a spec review of 3/5 topics on this paper, and some practice questions. Will probably do some additional stuff too, maybe a past paper and new specimen paper.

Chemistry- Spent about 1 hour and 45 minutes doing another spec paper that I hadn't done before and got 73/80, so I'm really pleased because the paper on Friday will be like that one. Spent another hour doing Paper 1 style questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
Cheers, just completed it. The only place where I think I've dropped marks is a 4 marker where it gave 2 unknowns (A and B), and it wanted B in terms of A, but I did A in terms of B. I could get no marks, or I could get 3 marks, hard to say. So I'm looking at about 73 if the examiner sees my mistake.

That's not too bad, so congratulations!!
Reply 202
25/05/2016

Just done Core 2, seemed to go really well! Should get at the very minimum 90UMS, hopefully 95. Now I've got this afternoon and the whole of tomorrow to focus on my first Chemistry paper- yay! So today I'm going to be doing a spec review of 3/5 topics on this paper, and some practice questions. Will probably do some additional stuff too, maybe a past paper and new specimen paper.

Chemistry-

Dropped two marks for the silliest mistake ever, I did the difference between the sums and not the individual terms
Original post by Nowen
Dropped two marks for the silliest mistake ever, I did the difference between the sums and not the individual terms

I dropped 2 marks too. Oh well we'll settle for 95 UMS.
26/05/2016

Just going to be a big night of chemistry tonight, ahead of tomorrow's exam. I want to do between 4 and 5 hours tonight, having already done about 1 hour during study at school today. I've got a couple more specification reviews for the slightly longer, more fact-based units, and then learning some practicals, reviewing the 2 spec papers and probably doing another past paper.

I'm looking forward to coming out of that exam tomorrow (hopefully feeling happy) and just having the rest of the day free from revision. I'm going to do some sport then watch the England football match. Also, tomorrow I will force myself NOT to look at the discussions of the answers, as there is too much misinformation surrounding chemistry exams. I will however discuss with people in my class.

Chemistry- Completed. Done 1.5 hours on finishing off 1 of my spec reviews for a topic and completing and marking a past paper (74/80). Done another hour and 20 minutes reviewing the spec. Last 40 minutes spent just going over stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
27/05/2016

Wow what a past 2 weeks it's been. I've now done half of my exams, and they all seem to have gone pretty well so far (touch wood). I'm currently very drained, so I'll probably take tonight off to relax. I will just add the work I had to do tonight on to tomorrow's schedule.
28/05/2016

I'm back to my normal revision routine today. I've got a chemistry (AQA specimen) paper to do this morning, and some more chemistry Paper 2 style questions. Then later today I have 2 topic specific (collisions and kinematics) sets of M1 questions to do, and then a french past paper. Also got to start summarising some physics practicals for the next exam.

The Chemistry paper yesterday is the hardest to tell how well I've done. On the calculations, definitions, and short answer questions I'm pretty sure I got at least 55/60. Then there were 20 marks of long answer questions (two 6 markers, two 4 markers). I'm pretty confident of getting 4/4 on a 4 marker about thermal stability, and I can't remember the other one. For the first 6 marker on how to change an experiment, I really can't tell, but I think at least 3 marks, probably 4 or 5. For the second 6 marker, I also can't tell. Probably 5 marks, maybe 4 again. So maybe 14/15 marks out of 20 for the long answer questions? I think I got absolute minimum 60/80 marks, absolute maximum 75ish, most likely is 68/69/70.

Chemistry- Completed. Half-arsed attempt at the AQA paper. It seems very different in style to the edexcel one, so I really can't be bothered to do it. Seem pissed off right now, don't know why.

Maths- Completed. Spent an hour doing mechanics questions.

French- Completed. Did past paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
28/05/2016

I'm back to my normal revision routine today. I've got a chemistry (AQA specimen) paper to do this morning, and some more chemistry Paper 2 style questions. Then later today I have 2 topic specific (collisions and kinematics) sets of M1 questions to do, and then a french past paper. Also got to start summarising some physics practicals for the next exam.

The Chemistry paper yesterday is the hardest to tell how well I've done. On the calculations, definitions, and short answer questions I'm pretty sure I got at least 55/60. Then there were 20 marks of long answer questions (two 6 markers, two 4 markers). I'm pretty confident of getting 4/4 on a 4 marker about thermal stability, and I can't remember the other one. For the first 6 marker on how to change an experiment, I really can't tell, but I think at least 3 marks, probably 4 or 5. For the second 6 marker, I also can't tell. Probably 5 marks, maybe 4 again. So maybe 14/15 marks out of 20 for the long answer questions? I think I got absolute minimum 60/80 marks, absolute maximum 75ish, most likely is 68/69/70.

Chemistry-

Maths-

French-

Physics-

Hey what exam board did you do for chemistry ? Aqa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanniabir
Hey what exam board did you do for chemistry ? Aqa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

edexcel
29/05/2016

This morning I was actually doing yesterday's work. I did about 1.5 hours, which I'm happy with because it's hard to get back in to the swing after feeling like you've finished (which I most certainly haven't). Now this afternoon I can focus on today's which luckily isn't that much. In a bit I'm going to do an M1 paper, then some physics reviewing. I'll then have a break, and this evening I'm going to look at the physics practicals.

Maths- Completed. Did an M1 paper, got 73/75.
(edited 7 years ago)
Would you say that you should have and could have done further maths in order to better your uni application? Or do you think that it helps to have a non-stem subject such as french on the side?
Original post by kennethdcharles
Would you say that you should have and could have done further maths in order to better your uni application? Or do you think that it helps to have a non-stem subject such as french on the side?

I chose French because I wanted variety, and I find it quite easy. Although I'll be dropping it this year, it's something I'm going to continue learning once I leave school, along with 2 other languages.

Interestingly, I've been told by several people that I should have done further maths. I'm fairly certain I could have done it, but it's not as crucial for what I want to do as for what you want to do (physics at Oxford). However I'm considering either doing the AS next year, or if that would clash with other lessons, then doing it on my own with perhaps a weekly session with a teacher to check progress.
I chose French because I wanted variety, and I find it quite easy. Although I'll be dropping it this year, it's something I'm going to continue learning once I leave school, along with 2 other languages.

Interestingly, I've been told by several people that I should have done further maths. I'm fairly certain I could have done it, but it's not as crucial for what I want to do as for what you want to do (physics at Oxford). However I'm considering either doing the AS next year, or if that would clash with other lessons, then doing it on my own with perhaps a weekly session with a teacher to check progress.

Ahh yeah I understand. Even though I won't be doing A level french, I will be doing a modern language course, in which I will choose french, just to enhance my abilities in it. I guess the variety will be appealing to universities, especially if you decide to do a year abroad etc. Looking at your mocks/past papers etc, you seem more than capable of doing further maths AS :biggrin:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Ahh yeah I understand. Even though I won't be doing A level french, I will be doing a modern language course, in which I will choose french, just to enhance my abilities in it. I guess the variety will be appealing to universities, especially if you decide to do a year abroad etc. Looking at your mocks/past papers etc, you seem more than capable of doing further maths AS :biggrin:

Actually you'll find that if you want to go in to research physics, there will be a lot of international collaboration so a language such as French is very useful, even if most people speak decent english. Remember that French is spoken not just in France but in North and Sub-saharan africa, switzerland, canada, etc
30/05/2016

I've got 4 past papers to do today, so I'm going to be quite busy. I will update this post as the day progresses.

Chemistry- Done first paper paper in 1.5 hours, got 76/80. Done another hour of questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
31/05/2016

I've really been slacking the past 3 days, so today I am absolutely knuckling down on my revision. I can't let my standards slip and affect my results, especially after the months of work I've put in. Today I have quite a lot of things to do, but it's a manageable amount.

Physics- Spent 1.5 hours doing a hard past paper, got 75%. Spent 1.5 hours doing some more reviewing.

Maths- Completed. Spent half an hour doing some M1 questions.

Chemistry- Completed. Spent an hour doing an AQA spec paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
01/06/2016

June! (not that the weather would show it). That means I've been doing this study blog for about 3 months, and it's been great. I have only 9 more days of AS work left before I'll have finished all my summer exams for 2016, and can relax (although I will be starting A2 very soon after, I'll have just under a week completely off).

In addition to starting the more exciting A2 content, I'm going to be visiting universities on their open days and writing my personal statement and getting references etc.. It will be signalling the beginning of a whole new chapter of my life, although I've still got a way to go yet!

Today I've got another decent amount of work to do. I have a mechanics paper, chemistry specimen paper, some physics reviewing and I may finally get round to looking at the practicals.

Maths- Completed. Did 2015 M1 paper in 1 hour, got 75/75. I think I even impressed myself with this.

Chemistry- Completed. Did the second Paper 2 specimen, got 76/80. Took about 1 hour 40 minutes in total.

Physics- Done an hour (5 pages!) of reviewing.
(edited 7 years ago)
What are you planning on studying at university? And which universities are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by doculmc7171
What are you planning on studying at university? And which universities are you thinking of applying to?

Mechanical or Chemical engineering, not too sure yet. Not sure about unis either, that's why I'm going to open days.
02/06/2016

Today is going to be pretty physics-heavy, as I'm going to redo the 2 'Depth in Physics' specimen papers that I have, and then another past paper and looking at some practicals. I also have some french to do, and I'll probably try and do some extra maths (M1) too.

Physics- Completed. Spent 1.5 hours doing a paper, got 85%. Spent another hour doing a specimen paper again.

French- Completed. 30 minutes of reviewing some stuff.

Maths (Additional)- Done 30 minutes just on general calculus. Did an M1 paper, got 75/75.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending