The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawliettt
I see no problem with this (especially during a levels). But as atheist i don't understand why you'd still call yourself Muslim if you pick and choose which rules to follow. Like it's fine to practice as a Muslim (or not if that's what you prefer). But I'll never get why some muslims ignore half the rules yet still claim they're Muslim anyway.

Just say you're non religious ffs. I know so many 'Muslim' people that swear, eat pork, date girls, drink alcohol and do drugs. I swear technically I'm a better Muslim than them yet I've never prayed in my life.

If i was religious I'd try and do what my religion tells me lol

Because they're cultural Muslims who have been taught that "not being Muslim" is so incredibly bad that the thought should never cross their minds. On the other hand, I do understand the picking and choosing element which frustrates you but do you have to follow every single rule to be considered a Muslim?
As long as you pray 5-times a day your classified as a Muslim . Many people will fast and do good stuff but do not pray and by Islam there are like non Muslims .

Some one who does sins and prays has a chance to redeem him self in a scene,
Some one who does not commit as bad of sins and doesn't pray has no chance to redeem him self and is going against the most important thing as a Muslim.
Original post by NeoMarxist
Because they're cultural Muslims who have been taught that "not being Muslim" is so incredibly bad that the thought should never cross their minds. On the other hand, I do understand the picking and choosing element which frustrates you but do you have to follow every single rule to be considered a Muslim?

If I was Muslim, I'd follow the Qua'rans teachings. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't claim "this rule inconvinences me so i cba". What's the point of being in an organised religion of you basically make your own rules? That's just my thought on it.

Of course, no one is perfect. Sometimes at least one rule will be broken. But I'm referring to people who consciously break rules their holy book tells them to abide by and don't care. Using their logic, I could break as many rules as I wanted every day yet end the day with a 5 min prayer and still go to heaven.

So it's the same with fasting. I'd never do it. But if I was muslim and truly believed in muslim teachings, of course I'd do it. There's no point in praying if your actions don't back it up.
If I was Muslim, I'd follow the Qua'rans teachings. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't claim "this rule inconvinences me so i cba". What's the point of being in an organised religion of you basically make your own rules? That's just my thought on it.

Of course, no one is perfect. Sometimes at least one rule will be broken. But I'm referring to people who consciously break rules their holy book tells them to abide by and don't care. Using their logic, I could break as many rules as I wanted every day yet end the day with a 5 min prayer and still go to heaven.

So it's the same with fasting. I'd never do it. But if I was muslim and truly believed in muslim teachings, of course I'd do it. There's no point in praying if your actions don't back it up.

Praying is more complicated that that . Its all about what you truly feel. If you pray to repent and you truly mean it then yes you might go heaven and that is the beauty of Islam how merciful god is. If you pray without the right frame of mind then its pointless , you cant cheat the religion or God.

I'm not Muslim but was born into a Muslim family so whatever you're saying is irrelevant to me. But in regards to the rest of the population, I believe fasting in not mandatory, especially if it directly impacts your health. Also, there are many contradictions in the quran so how should one know what rule to follow and what not to?
I'm not Muslim but was born into a Muslim family so whatever you're saying is irrelevant to me. But in regards to the rest of the population, I believe fasting in not mandatory, especially if it directly impacts your health. Also, there are many contradictions in the quran so how should one know what rule to follow and what not to?

Well you have the wrong idea here , twice. Fasting is mandatory UNLESS you have a health issue, and even then they have feed the poor or give money in their name because they cant fast. The quran has no contradictions and that is the one of the reasons Islam is great. I'm sure you have your reasoning to say this and if so could you please tell me. I will do my best to correct you as i have searched for years in the quran and i know Arabic and not a single contradiction occurs.

1. According to Muslims themselves, it's mandatory unless you have health conditions.

2. what contradictions are you referring to?
1. According to Muslims themselves, it's mandatory unless you have health conditions.

2. what contradictions are you referring to?

1. A lot of things are mandatory e.g. sex after marriage and the prohibition of alcohol but people still refer to themselves as Muslims regardless of breaking these rules. Furthermore, it is mandatory for women to wear a hijab but not all do so but they are still somehow considered a Muslim. So why is fasting a more important requirement? Someone can still maintain that they are Muslim without following every single rule, not because they just don't feel like it but if they have genuine reasons like thinking the hijab is sexist or fasting is unhealthy and unecessary. Fasting is detrimental on health especially the aspect of starving oneself then suddenly eating a lot of food. Ask any doctor/nutritionist if that is good for health. And it's rather a gimmicky notion to starve to empathise with real suffers of starvation then eating a whole bunch of food right after. Many people who starve usually starve for much longer than that so are you really able to emphasise? I'm really curious as to why this bothers you as you're apparently "not Muslim".

2. There's thing thing called google, type in 'contradictions in the quran' and you will find many sources which support my claim, this is evident in society right now as there is a polarisation in Islam; the radical terrorists and the peaceful everyday Muslims. Do they not pick and choose what they want form the holy book?
Onalevel ya dikheds answer mans question innit

Will man get sins if man dont fast cuz of exams?

mans rah gettin pissed ya know answer the fokin question priks
Lol you're actually delusional

no because u cant answer that properly thats why i am a delusional
This is funny , Neo , you don't seem very smart do you. Firstly fasting has health benefits PROVEN by scientists . Yes its harmful to eat a lot after you haven't eaten and that's why its sunna , what the prophet did, to eat very slowly and calmly after fasting ( he did that anyway). Fasting is one of the pillars of Islam in English definition. It is very important because non-Muslims actually see their Muslim friends fasting. This refers to this argument. If a Muslim doesn't fast a non-Muslim will just be like 'so this is Islam' and get a negative image , vise versa if they fast. Ramadan is a month where we feel the pain of those who suffer and are are sins whip away , the amount depends on God. We don't fast for 2 days or 3 because we actually have food a blessing from God , the whole idea to REALLY starve your self would not make sense . Food is a blessing from God and secondly we need it to survive.

To finish this I can not tell you what the quran says about the hijab as I dont know. Fell interested? search it up I dont have time from this. Islam is a very logical religion and many non-muslims agree. The contradictions you say are all translated to English which is the main problem. Not the whole chapter is included causing things to be out of context and many more. Why is it priests and such religious figures convert to Islam but our scholars never convert to their religions?

This was to clear that persons misconceptions which i no longer care about . If you believe in God , fast. If your just an atheist who is faking to be Muslim , don't fast. The last thing Muslims need now is more negative views within the non-Muslims.
Original post by Itsme15
There is still a chance for you to educate yourself in islam and learn the hikmah (the wisdom) of its rulings and choose to come back to it. There is a chance for all of us aslong as we are alive. May allah guide us all.

why though, it literally adds nothing to my life
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Onalevel ya dikheds answer mans question innit

Will man get sins if man dont fast cuz of exams?

mans rah gettin pissed ya know answer the fokin question priks

Allah knows best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I was born into a muslim family, wouldn't consider myself a practicing Muslim at all. Last Ramadan i didn't fast i secretly ate when no one was around and i'm planning to do the same this year too as Ramadan approaches in a few weeks time. What are your thoughts on this? Do any fellow 'muslims' do this too? I know it's bad but i really don't see the point in fasting if i don't even practice the religion...? If you're a non muslims what are your thoughts on my decision? Just curious :smile:

Lol..why are you asking opinions from non muslims?? They have no idea about islam. How come you dont practice islam if you are born in a muslim family? Whats your religion? You should consider yourself blessed for being born in a muslim family..or maybe u just wont because u dont know the worth of islam. And if you dont see the point in fasting then read hadith and gain knowledge about islam. Its sad how you dont value islam:frown:
that is the exact same with me ,being born into a Muslim family but my mums white and when I go there I don't fast and at school(done this last year some times)but I might keep some fasts this year.I feel bad for doing it but I NEED FOOD. :smile:
Reply 456
Original post by Aliyah2016x
that is the exact same with me ,being born into a Muslim family but my mums white and when I go there I don't fast and at school(done this last year some times)but I might keep some fasts this year.I feel bad for doing it but I NEED FOOD. :smile:

Hopefully, once you have left Islam completely, you won't feel guilty for enjoying life.
Original post by Josb
Hopefully, once you have left Islam completely, you won't feel guilty for enjoying life.

yeah I want to leave being a Muslim when am 16 but don't want to see my dad upset
Reply 458
Original post by Aliyah2016x
yeah I want to leave being a Muslim when am 16 but don't want to see my dad upset

You don't have to tell him.
but he would know because I would go to my mums because she's white and she would tell him and he would still be upset

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending