The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Events during Fresher's week for students living at home

I've read that many events during Fresher's week are tailored to people living in the university halls. Sheffield is my firm choice and I'll be living at home during at least the first year. I wanted to get as involved as possible during Freshers week and I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to.
Original post by pineneedles
I've read that many events during Fresher's week are tailored to people living in the university halls. Sheffield is my firm choice and I'll be living at home during at least the first year. I wanted to get as involved as possible during Freshers week and I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/student/local

Sheffield does have a lot of information for local students on how to get involved and everything.

What made you want to commute if you don't mind me asking?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by super_kawaii
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/student/local

Sheffield does have a lot of information for local students on how to get involved and everything.

What made you want to commute if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to find that information. On the first link on the webpage, can I fill in that form now or should I wait until I've started my course?
A number of reasons, really. I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of Sheffield uni which I've visited plenty of times and like, so moving away would be a massive waste of money. Plus, I have a lot of issues with anxiety and going to university in itself is going to be difficult, let alone moving out at the same time. Though I feel I have good reasons for making this choice, it bothers me that so many of my friends are moving out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I wasn't sure where to find that information. On the first link on the webpage, can I fill in that form now or should I wait until I've started my course?
A number of reasons, really. I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of Sheffield uni which I've visited plenty of times and like, so moving away would be a massive waste of money. Plus, I have a lot of issues with anxiety and going to university in itself is going to be difficult, let alone moving out at the same time. Though I feel I have good reasons for making this choice, it bothers me that so many of my friends are moving out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starting university is the easiest thing in the world-I've suffered a variety of mental health issues including severe depression, anxiety and eating disorders and had absolutely no problem with moving over 100 miles to Sheffield for uni. Moving out has improved my quality of life immeasurably.

There's nothing stopping you filling out the form for commuting students now-it might help get you excited for uni and will make you realise that uni is infinitely better than that hell hole called school we're forced to endure
Starting university is the easiest thing in the world-I've suffered a variety of mental health issues including severe depression, anxiety and eating disorders and had absolutely no problem with moving over 100 miles to Sheffield for uni. Moving out has improved my quality of life immeasurably.

There's nothing stopping you filling out the form for commuting students now-it might help get you excited for uni and will make you realise that uni is infinitely better than that hell hole called school we're forced to endure

It's good to hear that moving out can be so positive. I want to take it in steps, I imagine I'll move out after my first year.
That's a good point, hahahah. I'll fill it in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's good to hear that moving out can be so positive. I want to take it in steps, I imagine I'll move out after my first year.
That's a good point, hahahah. I'll fill it in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speaking from experience, your anxiety will never get better unless you move out. In my second year I moved all the way to China for my year abroad and I succeeded despite throwing up everything I ate for the 5 months before I went due to anxiety and severe homesickness when I got out there. Now, I don't even consider where I come from as home, like a lot of people. You need to develop your own identity away from your family and that'll never happen so long as you stay at home
Speaking from experience, your anxiety will never get better unless you move out. In my second year I moved all the way to China for my year abroad and I succeeded despite throwing up everything I ate for the 5 months before I went due to anxiety and severe homesickness when I got out there. Now, I don't even consider where I come from as home, like a lot of people. You need to develop your own identity away from your family and that'll never happen so long as you stay at home

I'm not saying I'm never going to leave, I'm just saying that Im taking it in steps. And as I said, I have money to consider, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm commuting and also concerned about this, are all freshers events halls-specific???
Original post by Livvyxo
I'm commuting and also concerned about this, are all freshers events halls-specific???

No, there are no halls specific events. Anyone who is a student at the University of Sheffield is eligible to attend, although for some events there are discounts for those living in uni owned residences :smile:
Reply 9
No, there are no halls specific events. Anyone who is a student at the University of Sheffield is eligible to attend, although for some events there are discounts for those living in uni owned residences :smile:

What sort of events are they? Are they held at the student union or places in sheff city centre?
Original post by Livvyxo
What sort of events are they? Are they held at the student union or places in sheff city centre?

Events such as Activities Fair, Sports Fair, Give It A Go Sessions and Union club nights will take place at a variety of locations within the union and other uni owned buildings. There will also be popular club nights that happen in clubs in town :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending