The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aleksandrinaa
What do you guys reckon would be the likely question for aggression, eating behaviour and relationships?

they are all on loopa.co.uk on his blog page
Original post by Naveed Rahman
they are all on loopa.co.uk on his blog page

Can you link the loopa page please??
Original post by robtownsend123
Can you link the loopa page please??

http://www.loopa.co.uk/blog/ Just scroll down and look for the topics you are doing.
Reply 883
If its a research question, you outline the research study and evaluate with other research (contradictory or supportive) and IDA's such as simplistic etc
I wouldn't talk about the theory in research unless you use it to evaluate e.g The research supports the idea behind Social Learning Theory and seems creditable because etc

Thanks.
So something like this :
" The idea of of SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively is supported by Bandura's study of 72 children aged 3-5, where he made one of the groups watch an adult act aggressively towards toys, including a bobo doll, while the other group did not. Findings showed that those who watched the aggressive model were more likely to act aggressively compared to the group that did not. This therefore supports SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively as is shows how the group that observed the aggressive model imitated the aggressive behaviour. However, the study can be criticised for demand characteristics. This is because the study was conducted in a controlled and artificial surrounding which could mean that the children may have guessed from the cues in the environment of how to act towards the bobo doll. This is bad because as it reduces the internal validity of the findings and SLT as an explanation of aggression.

Additionally, the study has ethical issues. This is because due to changes to ethical guidelines, children cannot be exposed to aggressive behaviour. This means that studies like Bandura's cannot be repeated. This also means that it reduces the chances of conducting studies to support the theory. (IDA)

However, studies have refuted the idea of SLT as an explanation of aggressive behaviour. Charlton's study on the childrens from the Island of St Helena showed how even after the exposure of television, which was argued to have increased aggression, children however did not show changes to behaviour or act aggressively. This therfore refutes the idea of SLT as an explanation as it shows how even after observation of aggressive behaviour, children did not imitate it. The study however can be praised for high ecological validity. This is because the study was conducted in the children's natural environment. This is positive as it means that SLT as an explanation of aggressive behaviour can be generalised to other real life settings.

Overall, SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively has provided evidence of how observation of aggressive behaviour can increase the likelihood of the individual acting aggressively. However, this explanation ignores other factors; for example, it ignores the role of biology which has been associated with aggression. Studies have found that high levels of testosterone may be linked to aggressive behaviour in males and therfore SLT may not be the only explanation.

Sorry it's long, but would the amount of evaluation points that I have included be enough to access top marks, or should I include more? And are methodological points acceptable and will they earn credit in questions like these?
Reply 884
For aggression, I think it could be group display, though I hope not. I want it to be just plain evolution explanation question (maybe with sexual jealousy and infidelity). Also could be neural and hormonal mechanisms.

For gender, I reckon biosocial, or biological. Hopefully gender schema or Kholberg's theory make a surprise entry.

I wanted to ask everyone about the length of the essays.....I'm still confused. Most model essays I see on the internet are misleading because they're typed, and so are probably a lot more full in quantity than we can do in exams.

I tested myself and in about 10 minutes I can write 266 words. 10 minutes is how much I'd wanna spend on A01. I have the complete companion textbook and they say the total 24-mark essay should be around 600 words. Based on that, A01 should be 200 words. I hope it is so, but can others tell me how many words they tend to WRITE (not type) for A01?

And if we do follow the complete companion's 600 word guide, and you do 5 evaluation paragraphs, then that's 80 words per evaluation paragraph. Seems a bit too short considering I usually type 250-word paragraphs.

Can we discuss this? I really feel like knowing the correct quantity is important at this stage, so we can make good assessments of how to fit in all the important details within a limited number of words and a limited amount of time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Onica
Thanks.
So something like this :
" The idea of of SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively is supported by Bandura's study of 72 children aged 3-5, where he made one of the groups watch an adult act aggressively towards toys, including a bobo doll, while the other group did not. Findings showed that those who watched the aggressive model were more likely to act aggressively compared to the group that did not. This therefore supports SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively as is shows how the group that observed the aggressive model imitated the aggressive behaviour. However, the study can be criticised for demand characteristics. This is because the study was conducted in a controlled and artificial surrounding which could mean that the children may have guessed from the cues in the environment of how to act towards the bobo doll. This is bad because as it reduces the internal validity of the findings and SLT as an explanation of aggression.

Additionally, the study has ethical issues. This is because due to changes to ethical guidelines, children cannot be exposed to aggressive behaviour. This means that studies like Bandura's cannot be repeated. This also means that it reduces the chances of conducting studies to support the theory. (IDA)

However, studies have refuted the idea of SLT as an explanation of aggressive behaviour. Charlton's study on the childrens from the Island of St Helena showed how even after the exposure of television, which was argued to have increased aggression, children however did not show changes to behaviour or act aggressively. This therfore refutes the idea of SLT as an explanation as it shows how even after observation of aggressive behaviour, children did not imitate it. The study however can be praised for high ecological validity. This is because the study was conducted in the children's natural environment. This is positive as it means that SLT as an explanation of aggressive behaviour can be generalised to other real life settings.

Overall, SLT as an explanation of why people act aggressively has provided evidence of how observation of aggressive behaviour can increase the likelihood of the individual acting aggressively. However, this explanation ignores other factors; for example, it ignores the role of biology which has been associated with aggression. Studies have found that high levels of testosterone may be linked to aggressive behaviour in males and therfore SLT may not be the only explanation.

Sorry it's long, but would the amount of evaluation points that I have included be enough to access top marks, or should I include more? And are methodological points acceptable and will they earn credit in questions like these?

That is good, I was just confused as you said a research question, so i assumed you were talking about Media. The question would be Outline and Evaluate social psychological explanations into aggression. You would outline SLT and then evaluate with studies or IDA's as you did. Regarding marks, do you want to send me the whole essay as i cant see what you have got just from a few paragraphs. I'll mark it for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 886
That is good, I was just confused as you said a research question, so i assumed you were talking about Media. The question would be Outline and Evaluate social psychological explanations into aggression. You would outline SLT and then evaluate with studies or IDA's as you did. Regarding marks, do you want to send me the whole essay as i cant see what you have got just from a few paragraphs. I'll mark it for you.

Oh sorry I did mean Media, don't know why I wrote about aggression. I think it was because media has aggression in it so I ended up writing about that - how silly of me!:embarrassed: However, I guess I would need to use same format that I used in the aggression answer for media. I'll send the media one instead.
Original post by Onica
Oh sorry I did mean Media, don't know why I wrote about aggression. I think it was because media has aggression in it so I ended up writing about that - how silly of me!:embarrassed: However, I guess I would need to use same format that I used in the aggression answer for media. I'll send the media one instead.

For a research into the effects of antisocial media on behaviour, you could use Bandura Bobo doll study but you would HAVE to say prior to going into a room with a Bobo doll, they watched an adult on a film(media) violently kick and punch a Bobo Doll.
I wouldn't talk about SLT in the evaluation because the question is about about research so you criticise/support the study.
If you really wanted to use SLT you could say the study seems plausible as it demonstrates why children imitate antisocial media as the social learning theory explains it is done through a process of observation and imitation (modelling) which supports the Bobo Doll study as the behaviour seen seems to match the steps of SLT.
Reply 888
For a research into the effects of antisocial media on behaviour, you could use Bandura Bobo doll study but you would HAVE to say prior to going into a room with a Bobo doll, they watched an adult on a film(media) violently kick and punch a Bobo Doll.
I wouldn't talk about SLT in the evaluation because the question is about about research so you criticise/support the study.
If you really wanted to use SLT you could say the study seems plausible as it demonstrates why children imitate antisocial media as the social learning theory explains it is done through a process of observation and imitation (modelling) which supports the Bobo Doll study as the behaviour seen seems to match the steps of SLT.

Would methodological points of the study like demand characteristics be relevant? And what do you mean by not talking about SLT in the evaluation??
Media question don't need IDA points, so should I just leave them out??
Original post by Onica
Would methodological points of the study like demand characteristics be relevant? And what do you mean by not talking about SLT in the evaluation??
Media question don't need IDA points, so should I just leave them out??

IDA are relevant for media? I would definitely criticise the study with, artificial setting, generalisabilty flaw and even reductionist. Its a research question into antisocial media and the effects on behaviour, so you wouldn't talk about SLT as it is an explanation. If the question was discuss explanations into the effects of antisocial media on behaviour you would outline with SLT
Reply 890
IDA are relevant for media? I would definitely criticise the study with, artificial setting, generalisabilty flaw and even reductionist. Its a research question into antisocial media and the effects on behaviour, so you wouldn't talk about SLT as it is an explanation. If the question was discuss explanations into the effects of antisocial media on behaviour you would outline with SLT

No you don't need IDA points for media. I was just asking because my teacher said reductionist is an IDA point so that's why I was asking. But thanks, I get it now.
Reply 891
Is anyone only revising essays that are likely to come up?
Original post by mrgan
Is anyone only revising essays that are likely to come up?

I'm not revising the essays that came up last year for psya3 but for psya4 yes everything because after the stolen van it's hard to predict
Reply 893
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I'm not revising the essays that came up last year for psya3 but for psya4 yes everything because after the stolen van it's hard to predict

How certain can we be that they wont reuse last years psya3 questions?
Hey can someone help me out with AO2? not sure how to set it out, like how many paragraphs do i do in total and is there a particular structure like theory, evaluate and IDA? Also how many IDA's do we need to have?
Reply 895
Yeah, the most evil thing they could do is repeat the questions. It is possible for the questions to be separated and us have a 4 marker A01 question that is the same as last year. It's happened before. But a whole essay, or a 4+16 mark that's the same as the previous year hasn't happened yet
Reply 896
Original post by toetothunder
Hey can someone help me out with AO2? not sure how to set it out, like how many paragraphs do i do in total and is there a particular structure like theory, evaluate and IDA? Also how many IDA's do we need to have?

One of my teachers used to say 3 studies, 2 IDA's. The other said 4 studies but i don't remember how many IDA's.

(ignore the attached pic)
Original post by Im130
One of my teachers used to say 3 studies, 2 IDA's. The other said 4 studies but i don't remember how many IDA's.

(ignore the attached pic)

thank you! If I used the 3 studies 2 IDA's method for example, how many paragraphs would you do this over?
Reply 898
I used to write a paragraph for each point. I wasn't taught to include multiple studies in one point unless they were a rare case where the two studies' findings bring up a methodological concern for the theory. So, I'd probably do those 5 points over 5 paragraphs.

However, I think you should wait around to get other people's views. The more I look, the more I see so many people doing different stuff.

A textbook I have says you should dedicate 200 words for A01 and 400 for evaluation. 400/5=80 words, and I think most people usually write 70-90 words per paragraph during exams, so 5 paragraphs doesn't seem like it'd be wrong.
Original post by Im130
Yeah, the most evil thing they could do is repeat the questions. It is possible for the questions to be separated and us have a 4 marker A01 question that is the same as last year. It's happened before. But a whole essay, or a 4+16 mark that's the same as the previous year hasn't happened yet

I'm learning four marks worth of ao1 but that's it from previous years paper, I don't have the brain capacity to learn more really

Latest