The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GCSEstudentt
We can do this :biggrin:

How are you revising for the calculator then and how much? I'm just gonna do as many past questions as I can

At least 2 hrs a day now I just go through all topics (from grade D-A*) and practise questions on them or watch videos on them if I don't understand something. As you said, I also do lots of past papers and sometimes my teacher will give me a few a-level questions to do to try and push my thinking. That is by no means necessary but no harm done:smile:
Original post by senpyi
Lol I'll be retaking in November then, I've only got 25 marks so far from the unofficial mark scheme so I need like 45 marks on the calculator paper to make sure I pass:ashamed:

If you're stronger on the calculator paper, you can do it! I'm supposedly better at non-calc where I've counted 36 marks but on the mocks for the calculator papers I get about 19 marks so yeah I'm screwed :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll be okay, though!
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
At least 2 hrs a day now I just go through all topics (from grade D-A*) and practise questions on them or watch videos on them if I don't understand something. As you said, I also do lots of past papers and sometimes my teacher will give me a few a-level questions to do to try and push my thinking. That is by no means necessary but no harm done:smile:

I might try that actually, thank you!
Original post by GCSEstudentt
I might try that actually, thank you!

Np and good luck!
Can someone explain how you got 90 teachers
I can't believe I got stuck on question 4
Original post by aliyahh16

2/5 = 36 (amount of males)

Therefore 3/5 = amount of females

1/5 = 18

3/5 = 18*3 = 54

36+54 = 90
Original post by Mr M
This is what Edexcel told me last summer.

"A levels and GCSEs are taken all over the world by thousands of international students. Unfortunately, due to time zoning, it is not possible all students to sit the examinations at the exact time as our UK candidates, meaning they will sit later in the day. Technically, posting any content online is a copyright issue, but the primary concern for us is where a paper and answers are posted within 24 hours of an examination being sat. We ask all our teachers that they abide by the exam board's regulations in order to uphold the integrity of the examination.

As it causes a large number of complaints, may I ask that in future, you observe the 24 hour moratorium before posting the examination online?

Very kind thanks

Matthew Greenhalgh
Investigations Team
Business Improvement and Regulation
Pearson Education"

This really needs to be sorted out because the FULL answer paper that was published on here makes a mockery of the whole situation.

If this paper is sat in different time zones, why don't Edexcel produce regional-zone GCSE papers like with the IGCSE Edexcel maths?

OR

Why don't Edexcel make it compulsory that overseas schools sit IGCSE (if they haven't already done so).
The situation is only going to get worse in future years with improved technology and communications.

Come on Edexcel, clarify the situation !!!
Original post by aliyahh16
It tells you that 3/5th of the teachers are female, which means 2/5th are male, and it also tells you that there are 36 male teachers, which means that 2/5th of all the teachers=36. If you let x= the total amount of teachers, then 2/5th of x(male teachers)=36, then you can rearrange to get the value of x. 5*36=180, and 180/2=90, so x=90.

That's how I did it in the exam.:smile:
Original post by 34908seikj
2/5 = 36 (amount of males)

Therefore 3/5 = amount of females

1/5 = 18

3/5 = 18*3 = 54

36+54 = 90

woah that's so simple!
I hope I got that bc I changed my answer like 3 times
For Question 5 (Estimate 892 ÷ 18.9)
I got the answer 50 (lack of concentration) but now i know the real answer is 45. However because it is an estimate question would i get any marks since my answer was near the correct answer?
for the probability of the raining tennis match one (can't remember the exact wording) i put 4000/10000 which cancels out to the correct answer of 0.4 - would i still get the marks even though i put it as a fraction and not a decimal?
Original post by jessdstromberg
for the probability of the raining tennis match one (can't remember the exact wording) i put 4000/10000 which cancels out to the correct answer of 0.4 - would i still get the marks even though i put it as a fraction and not a decimal?

You would not get full marks as the answer was 0.04. They could knock down one mark for part b as long as your answer to part a was correct
Original post by Redcoats
YES!!!!!!!!

I did everything right for the rotation question other than the fact that I stupidly rotated it clockwise instead! Will I at least get 1mark out of the 2?
Hi Mr M, I just wanted some reassurance as I just crumbled under the pressure in the maths exam on thursday! I'm aiming for an A* but for some reason I just messed it all up and got around 78 harshly marked, for the rent question I for some stupid reason said 8x3 is 32 as I didn't re-check it and obviously that made my answer incorrect. If I still had the method completely right but with those wrong numbers and got 48 do i get at least 1 mark?
Original post by Mathspls
Hi Mr M, I just wanted some reassurance as I just crumbled under the pressure in the maths exam on thursday! I'm aiming for an A* but for some reason I just messed it all up and got around 78 harshly marked, for the rent question I for some stupid reason said 8x3 is 32 as I didn't re-check it and obviously that made my answer incorrect. If I still had the method completely right but with those wrong numbers and got 48 do i get at least 1 mark?

Yes you'll defo get 1 but maybe 2
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
I did everything right for the rotation question other than the fact that I stupidly rotated it clockwise instead! Will I at least get 1mark out of the 2?

I think so. Question 7 on this mark scheme explains the assigning of 1 mark for correct rotation regardless of direction
Would I get 1 mark for the rent question if I calculated the percentage of the two numbers?
Original post by Redcoats
I think so. Question 7 on this mark scheme explains the assigning of 1 mark for correct rotation regardless of direction

Okay, thanks for doing all that for me!
is there another exam for maths in november

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending