The Student Room Group

Best ways to revise for Geography?

I feel kind of screwed for geography.
Any tips for revising effectively for this subject?
Idk, I just read the textbook before the exam..

It's gotten me A* in all of my mocks. Doubt i can pull it off in the real thing.

Mixed feelings about the physical paper we just did.

I'm revising for geo rn.

A rep if you can figure out how :P
Original post by Federerr
Idk, I just read the textbook before the exam..

It's gotten me A* in all of my mocks. Doubt i can pull it off in the real thing.

Mixed feelings about the physical paper we just did.

I'm revising for geo rn.

A rep if you can figure out how :P

how you can get an a* from reading textbooks truly outstands me

are you a genius or what.

I hated the physical paper - I really expected it to be on rivers :^(
I'd print out the specification and go through it like a checklist. I write small notes or bullet points, maybe even drawing small diagrams (based on my knowledge) on the same paper next to every point the exam is looking for. It's really easy to keep track of what you know and all the information is in one place. :biggrin:
Reply 4
I create flashcards and ask people to test me. If I get that flashcard wrong, I would redo it at the end.
Original post by zaggalicious
I'd print out the specification and go through it like a checklist. I write small notes or bullet points, maybe even drawing small diagrams (based on my knowledge) on the same paper next to every point the exam is looking for. It's really easy to keep track of what you know and all the information is in one place. :biggrin:

Use the specification - got it

I'll try it out, thank you.

Loving the username, by the way :^)
Original post by k1234j
I create flashcards and ask people to test me. If I get that flashcard wrong, I would redo it at the end.

flashcards, ight

I'll give them a go.

Thanks.
Reply 7
mind maps save my life for case studies. Can easily distinguish between key info, causes, impacts, responses, management etc.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
I feel kind of screwed for geography.
Any tips for revising effectively for this subject?

I have made loaaddss of flashcards and then for the case studies I have written them up on my computer in detailed notes and as it gets closer to the exam I will keep writing the bits of the case studies that I don't know on some paper until I remember them. For the physical paper I did all the past papers, mainly just looking through them, the mark schemes and the examiners report. I found the mark scheme especially useful as they are usually quite strict with what they allow and the questions are often repeated so if you can remember what kind of thing is on the mark scheme it can be useful :smile:
Original post by izziehough
I have made loaaddss of flashcards and then for the case studies I have written them up on my computer in detailed notes and as it gets closer to the exam I will keep writing the bits of the case studies that I don't know on some paper until I remember them. For the physical paper I did all the past papers, mainly just looking through them, the mark schemes and the examiners report. I found the mark scheme especially useful as they are usually quite strict with what they allow and the questions are often repeated so if you can remember what kind of thing is on the mark scheme it can be useful :smile:

okay, i'll bear that in mind.

thank you c:
Play "pin the tail on the donkey" game with a globe after drinking a few shots of tequila.
In the run up to the themes exam, aside from going through the theory aspects on rivers, population etc, what I found really useful was answering questions on case studies. I would revise a case study for maybe half an hour or so, and then set myself questions on it, writing down all the details without the help of my notes. I found this to be a really effective method for remembering everything, you could probably apply a similar method towards other subjects.
have a look at a map
Reply 13
1. Revise. Read one SMALL section of class notes/text book or my website (igcsegeography.wordpress.com). A section will ideally take you around 30-60 seconds to read. Then summarise the concept in your own words. VIisualise processes to help you remember how they work. Go through as many new concepts as possible until you become tired (nkt bored) and feel like you can not remember anything new. Take a short break, then repeat these concepts to yourself again. Check you remember the next morning. Do not dwell too much on definitions or case studies ie. learn the theory first. After you have revised an entire topic eg. coasts, place a blank piece of paper in front of you and write down everything you remember. Then go over your notes to see what you missed.
2. Practise. Complete past paper questions for each topic from the syllabus, as a part of studying the topic and to track your progress. In the final week before your exam focus on exam technique. Complete past papers under exam conditions and check your answers with the mark scheme. Learn the mark scheme answers for questions you get wrong.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Mayhem™
have a look at a map

and the award for most useless answer goes to .. ^
Original post by astonky
1. Revise. Read one SMALL section of class notes/text book or my website (igcsegeography.wordpress.com). A section will ideally take you around 30-60 seconds to read. Then summarise the concept in your own words. VIisualise processes to help you remember how they work. Go through as many new concepts as possible until you become tired (nkt bored) and feel like you can not remember anything new. Take a short break, then repeat these concepts to yourself again. Check you remember the next morning. Do not dwell too much on definitions or case studies ie. learn the theory first. After you have revised an entire topic eg. coasts, place a blank piece of paper in front of you and write down everything you remember. Then go over your notes to see what you missed.
2. Practise. Complete past paper questions for each topic from the syllabus, as a part of studying the topic and to track your progress. In the final week before your exam focus on exam technique. Complete past papers under exam conditions and check your answers with the mark scheme. Learn the mark scheme answers for questions you get wrong.
Hope this helps :smile:

Okay this is a similar process to my science revision methods

I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending