The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiegan_hill
Unit 3: gender, relationships and aggression
Unit 4: schizophrenia, media psychology and research methods

anyone else doing these topics?

I'm doing those topics apart from relationships. Go on psych-bug if you need help. Its amazing and A grade essays written for each topic in booklet form. There are also presentations and revision notes.
Reply 901
lol so does anyone actually know how the examiners mark our work? Do they give a mark after every relevant key statement we make? the mark schemes make it seem like they look more at the whole thing, and give a rating, rather than numerically quantify the number of marks we hit
Original post by Im130
lol so does anyone actually know how the examiners mark our work? Do they give a mark after every relevant key statement we make? the mark schemes make it seem like they look more at the whole thing, and give a rating, rather than numerically quantify the number of marks we hit

Yeah they compare essays to decide which are the top band, middle band and lower band essays. However when going through the essays they will mark key points that will likely gain marks
I got a B at AS but can't quite remember what my UMS was. I did get an A in the unit 2 paper and a C in the unit 1 paper though. Approximately how many marks will I need to get on the unit 3 and 4 papers for an A overall?
do studies count as AO1 or AO2/3 marks?
Original post by toetothunder
I got a B at AS but can't quite remember what my UMS was. I did get an A in the unit 2 paper and a C in the unit 1 paper though. Approximately how many marks will I need to get on the unit 3 and 4 papers for an A overall?

You will need the marks equivalent of an A plus the remainder of the marks you we off the A grade last year, although for an A* you can get a B at AS and A* at a2
I need help on research methods. How do you guys revise for it?
Reply 907
Original post by loveleest
I need help on research methods. How do you guys revise for it?

I think textbooks and past paper question are the way to go, for research methods
Could somebody explain null hypothesis and how to read the chi squared/ man Whitney u tables because they confuse me
How many IDA's are people aiming to write about per essay?

At least 2-3 developed IDAs

It's recommended you do 1 or 2 per essay.
Original post by Mesosleepy
At least 2-3 developed IDAs

Is it a good idea to do this by putting IDA's on the end of an evaluation? for example for relationship formation I would talk about how Hay et al found that students place importance on giving and not just receiving rewards then link this to the rewards needs theory being simplistic and reductionist?
Original post by A-LJLB
It's recommended you do 1 or 2 per essay.

Is it a good idea to do this by putting IDA's on the end of an evaluation? for example for relationship formation I would talk about how Hay et al found that students place importance on giving and not just receiving rewards then link this to the rewards needs theory being simplistic and reductionist?
Reply 914
I was taught at college to do them at the end, since they do tend to sound like concluding points most of the time, especially if it's an alternative approach IDA. In my opinion that's almost the ultimate evaluation point you can make for the theories lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Im130
I was taught at college to do them at the end, since they do tend to sound like concluding points most of the time, especially if it's an alternative approach IDA. In my opinion that's almost the ultimate evaluation point you can make for the theories lol

so do you write them as separate paragraphs or integrate them into an existing evaluation paragraph?

Yeah, thats cool

If it's on one theory I place IDA at the end of the essay. If it's split e.g neural brain dysfunction of aggression and neurotransmitters, I'll put one at the end of brain dysfunction and one at the end of neurotransmitters.
Original post by Im130

Yeah, that's what I do
got a question on IDA points, would this be one?

So im evaluatng peer interactions in the influence of childhood on adult relationships,

One point i'd make is

One piece of evidence supporting the theory is from Suomi and Harlow who did a real life monkeys study. They looked at rhesus monkeys, and only allowed them to rear with adult monkeys, and denied them the chance to spend time with peers. They found as they grew older they displayed inappropriate sexual and social behaviour as adults, the longer this went on the more extreme it gets. This shows that the theory can be applied to real life and this supports the theory.

Latest

Trending

Trending