The Student Room Group

I feel so terrible

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stay.rad
Except that I haven't been achieving A* I've just been revising like my life depended on it, even 'sneaking' into the University library (I just walk in but like its cool). But yeah you're right it is the most terrible feeling. I absolutely did terribly today as well in my english literature exam but everyone in like the whole country is saying that they absolutely loved the paper. They'll most probably raise the grade boundaries and I won't be able to achieve an A in the exam unfortunately

I did rubbish on that first literature paper. I know exactly what you mean about revision. I have been revising everyday for a year, losing my social life resulting in less friends and then the final exams have been rubbish. I just feel like GCSE's Is my life!
Original post by eternalhinch
Don't think like that. You need to reinforce a proper mindset, trust me it's easy to think negatively especially during exams anything around you can affect your mindset SO FAST it's crazy. Be in control of your emotions and just work hard to get as much marks as you can rather than focusing on the grade at this stage.

Thanks a lot for the support. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by geek567
i know how you feel but keep working hard as GCSE'S do matter as you're more likely to get a good career if you have done good in your gcses.ALSO they determine what you study at A LEVEL,what sixthform you get into, unis will look at your gcse gradesBut it also depends on you as in a person who wants to become a mountaineer.i'm pretty sure gcse's are as important if you want to become a mountaineer.just keep calm as i am pretty sure you hav not done bad in any of your exams as you've been achieving A*S IN NEARLY EVERY SUBJECT.:smile:
good luck:smile:

Thanks for the support, one of my science papers I missed out like literally half the paper. :frown:
Original post by Matthew.bryant
Thanks a lot for the support. Good luck. :smile:

No problem, all the best for your exams :h:
You will be fine; lets just smash this calculator paper. :smile:

Do u hav an idea how much I would need on the calculator paper to secure a B
Original post by britishtf2
I did the same thing for my AS Further Pure 1 exam (likely getting high B, when can easily get straight A*s in further maths), and felt properly depressed. It'll pass, don't worry.

Find that thing you love doing and do it for a bit: it'll help.

*hugs*

Thanks
Thanks

No problem. PM any time you wanna talk, about anything :smile:

And good luck :smile:
Original post by Anmol_.
Do u hav an idea how much I would need on the calculator paper to secure a B

Personally, im not an expert but it will be in the 50's I would of thought. If they put the grade boundaries down however it could be less. That's why I Hope so I can get at least an A now. :smile:
I have been revising hours and hours on end all year 11, Achieving A*s in nearly every subject and my final exams have gone so terrible. Especially Maths Edexcel. Do GCSE's even matter? Btw I would like to be an mountaineer.

Perhaps you're putting too much stress on yourself? Because as you say, you've spent a lot of time revising, maybe you're not fully taking in the material you're revising because of the NEED to do well? I'd suggest changing it up a little, use revision cards, do a whole day of past paper and examiners reports, have a different day full of hands on activities like making mind maps, speaking aloud or explaining it to someone else.
Best of luck x
Original post by RipeAvogadros
Perhaps you're putting too much stress on yourself? Because as you say, you've spent a lot of time revising, maybe you're not fully taking in the material you're revising because of the NEED to do well? I'd suggest changing it up a little, use revision cards, do a whole day of past paper and examiners reports, have a different day full of hands on activities like making mind maps, speaking aloud or explaining it to someone else.
Best of luck x

I have done all of that, its just the unfortunate nerves which are killing me.
Luckily GCSEs dont matter. As long as you do well in A levels you're fine.
i am sure that you have done sooooo much better than what you think :smile:
good luck! don't stress, i am sure that you have done very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have done all of that, its just the unfortunate nerves which are killing me.

I have ALWAYS struggled terribly with nerves, but what I've been doing recently is taking about 5-10 minutes the night before the exam to really calm down. What always helps me to overcome nerves is all the hard work I've done. I think you need to have a more confident mindset, you've done everything you possibly could have, you know all of the content inside out, and there are also a limited number of things they can ask you in an exam. Plus even if you don't fully understand what is being asked of you in a question you've done all relevant revision to be able to still give a good enough go, so why the need for panic?

Some good advice I heard recently, 'Don't let yourself be the reason you don't succeed'
Reply 33
I wish I could think like that, I have marked my paper with that unofficial mark scheme achieving 61/100. I have never got that low in a paper. That's my A* down the drain and to be fair an A. :frown:

The same thing happened with me. I'm normally an A* student in maths, and I worked SO hard to get good at it, but in the exam I got stressed about time, the questions just everything and I ended up skipping questions and rushing them and letting the panic get the better of me, afterwards I felt so so awful, as if all those hours I put in were a waste- like I could never redeem myself. I used the mark scheme and got a similar result to you, I was absolutely gutted. But I realised that I know how hard I worked, and that I know what I'm capable of, and that I have another chance and I could still get an A* if I work hard enough. But most of all, at the end of the day it's just an exam, an exam that doesn't much matter to my future, merely a validation for others of my intelligence and how hard I can work. But even if I don't get the grade I want, I don't need that kind of validation, and my friends and family know that I did my best, so they shouldn't need the validation either.
I promise you I know how it feels, but please don't let it get the better of you, be proud of yourself for all your hard work and what you have achieved, and put your energy now into the working for what's important to you, whether that be the calculator paper coming up, or mountineering (I love rock climbing btw!).
Just remember what's really important to you after all the day and keep doing your best, dont let this one thing ruin your happiness.
Original post by Wimsett
The same thing happened with me. I'm normally an A* student in maths, and I worked SO hard to get good at it, but in the exam I got stressed about time, the questions just everything and I ended up skipping questions and rushing them and letting the panic get the better of me, afterwards I felt so so awful, as if all those hours I put in were a waste- like I could never redeem myself. I used the mark scheme and got a similar result to you, I was absolutely gutted. But I realised that I know how hard I worked, and that I know what I'm capable of, and that I have another chance and I could still get an A* if I work hard enough. But most of all, at the end of the day it's just an exam, an exam that doesn't much matter to my future, merely a validation for others of my intelligence and how hard I can work. But even if I don't get the grade I want, I don't need that kind of validation, and my friends and family know that I did my best, so they shouldn't need the validation either.
I promise you I know how it feels, but please don't let it get the better of you, be proud of yourself for all your hard work and what you have achieved, and put your energy now into the working for what's important to you, whether that be the calculator paper coming up, or mountineering (I love rock climbing btw!).
Just remember what's really important to you after all the day and keep doing your best, dont let this one thing ruin your happiness.

Thanks a lot for this, so can we still get A*'s if we do really well in the calculator paper?
Btw same rock climbing is so good!
Reply 35
Thanks a lot for this, so can we still get A*'s if we do really well in the calculator paper?
Btw same rock climbing is so good!

We could, with marks in the mid nineties, and I know it sounds far fetched (for me at least) but it is possible. And even if you get an A, that is wonderful, and most definitley something to be proud of.
And haha I know, where abouts do you normally climb?
Original post by Wimsett
We could, with marks in the mid nineties, and I know it sounds far fetched (for me at least) but it is possible. And even if you get an A, that is wonderful, and most definitley something to be proud of.
And haha I know, where abouts do you normally climb?

If the paper is not to hard that potentially could happen. (with a bit of luck)
I was waiting until I finished my GCSE's which then I am going to start my training but for now im just working on a good fitness. :smile:
Reply 37
If the paper is not to hard that potentially could happen. (with a bit of luck)
I was waiting until I finished my GCSE's which then I am going to start my training but for now im just working on a good fitness. :smile:

Yeah let's pray! And oh right well that's cool :smile:
Original post by Wimsett
Yeah let's pray! And oh right well that's cool :smile:

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest