The Student Room Group

Eu: In or out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plstudent
Educated people only learn about the positives of the EU, if at all. People online have been exposed to more diverse opinions.

Right. I forgot educated people don't use the internet.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
Original post by JordanL_
Right. I forgot educated people don't use the internet.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

They do, and they become even more educated (and eurosceptic) from their online interactions.
Leave campaigners' only argument is 'immigration.' That's why mostly pensioners are voting leave. The older generation is primarily more racist.
Original post by Save.Me
Leave campaigners' only argument is 'immigration.' That's why mostly pensioners are voting leave. The older generation is primarily more racist.

The main argument is to take back control of the country. MOST new laws come from the EU. How difficult is it to see that? People from all parties support leave: labor, lib dems, Tories. As to age, look at the poll above.
Reply 184
Original post by Save.Me

Would you like to explain how making immigration fairer on BME people from the commonwealth/elsewhere is racist?
Or are the other whites of Europe untermensch?
Original post by EuanF

Would you like to explain how making immigration fairer on BME people from the commonwealth/elsewhere is racist?
Or are the other whites of Europe untermensch?

Leaving the EU isn't going to change how immigration from commonwealth is handled. All it does is stop people from EU entering, which is pretty stupid anyway, considering they're not 'taking our jobs,' or anything like that.

What about if WE want to travel to other countries in Europe? Live there? It goes both ways. We won't be capable of easily travelling and relocating in Europe if we leave. People only think of people immigrating here, but in reality thousands of Brits work in other EU countries.
Reply 186
Original post by Save.Me
Leaving the EU isn't going to change how immigration from commonwealth is handled. All it does is stop people from EU entering, which is pretty stupid anyway, considering they're not 'taking our jobs,' or anything like that.

What about if WE want to travel to other countries in Europe? Live there? It goes both ways. We won't be capable of easily travelling and relocating in Europe if we leave. People only think of people immigrating here, but in reality thousands of Brits work in other EU countries.

We'll just get visas as everyone else will get visas to come here. It isn't a huge loss, and once we're inside Schengen it's fair game.
Original post by TSRFT8
Alot of people who are "Leave" only have one reason - "Less immigrants will take the job i do not want to do" Not saying all, however a vast amount have these views.

Im IN, but each to their own.

most successful country in the world, USA why as its a melting pot of immigrants and trade, face it people we need them, our economy needs them, without eu trade obama stated uk would be at the back of the line we would become a powerless island
Original post by EuanF
We'll just get visas as everyone else will get visas to come here. It isn't a huge loss, and once we're inside Schengen it's fair game.

It will make travelling and relocating extremely hard.

One of my close friends lives in the Czech Republic, and he's studying medicine and wants to move over here when he's finished. If we leave the EU that will be hard for him to do instantly. I don't understand how him living here, being more qualified than half of the people claiming benefits, is a bad thing.

I have another friend from Germany, who's dad used to be inthe army serving our country. His dad died, so he has no family over here, and if we leave the EU, he will be unable to immigrate permanently.

If you put faces to these 'immigrants,' it really isn't fair. Not one immigrant I know is abusing the benefit system, or doing anything that harms our country. Most of them have well-paying jobs, or do bottom of the barrel jobs that the rest of us refuse to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Save.Me

One of my close friends lives in the Czech Republic, and he's studying medicine and wants to move over here when he's finished. If we leave the EU that will be hard for him to do instantly. I don't understand how him living here, being more qualified than half of the people claiming benefits, is a bad thing.

I have another friend from Germany, who's dad used to be the army serving our country. His dad died, so he has no family over here, and if we leave the EU, he will be unable to immigrate permanently.

If you put faces to these 'immigrants,' it really isn't fair. Not one immigrant I know is abusing the benefit system, or doing anything that harms our country. Most of them have well-paying jobs, or do bottom of the barrel jobs that the rest of us refuse to do.

Now you're just resorting to anecdotes. Glad to know you agree that it's more racist to privilege white europeans over BME people simply for being born in the right patch of land.
Original post by Save.Me

I have another friend from Germany, who's dad used to be inthe army serving our country. His dad died, so he has no family over here, and if we leave the EU, he will be unable to immigrate permanently.

Not even Americans need visas to travel to Europe. Not even Argentinians to the UK...

Your post is a good example of how irrationality and propinquity lead people to foolish decisions. "Ohhh I know him who knows him *cry*cry*" pathetic.
Original post by rehmanator
most successful country in the world, USA why as its a melting pot of immigrants and trade, face it people we need them, our economy needs them, without eu trade obama stated uk would be at the back of the line we would become a powerless island

USA had actually the most strict immigration laws in the world from 1924-1965. Before that, it was a "melting pot" of Northern/Central Europeans. A true melting pot was Latin America.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Save.Me

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702493/Romanian-family-17-lied-house-live-three-bedroom-London-semi-home-55-000-year-benefits.html

Original post by Save.Me

Once again, people from Switzerland, Norway and many other countries travel easily to the EU.

I think it is apparent why many people back remain: ignorance and fear of uncertainty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EuanF
Now you're just resorting to anecdotes. Glad to know you agree that it's more racist to privilege white europeans over BME people simply for being born in the right patch of land.

I didn't mean that at all. I still stand by that if we leave EU the only thing that changes is people from other European countries not being allowed to come through. It won't change anything about other immigration laws, so I don't see why people are that angry about it. You proved the only argument is jealousy about people in the EU getting more privileges. Why vote leave when nothing will change, besides people from the EU not being allowed entry? I don't get it at all. By now some Europeans are basically UK citizens.

Not even Americans need visas to travel to Europe. Not even Argentinians to the UK...

Your post is a good example of how irrationality and propinquity lead people to foolish decisions. "Ohhh I know him who knows him *cry*cry*" pathetic.

I was meaning more live there than travel, and that was just an example, that's only one of the reasons I'm voting stay.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702493/Romanian-family-17-lied-house-live-three-bedroom-London-semi-home-55-000-year-benefits.html

Once again, people from Switzerland, Norway and many other countries travel easily to Europe.

I think it is apparent why many people back remain: ignorance and fear of uncertainty.

I'm talking about living more than travelling...Wow, one example, how about the hundreds of Brits that cheat the system every single day? Should they all be deported?
Original post by Save.Me

I was meaning more live there than travel, and that was just an example, that's only one of the reasons I'm voting stay.

No, you can't just move anywhere, anymore than you can't just live in any house in the world.
Original post by Save.Me
I'm talking about living more than travelling...Wow, one example, how about the hundreds of Brits that cheat the system every single day? Should they all be deported?

And where do you want to deport them to, genius? The UK needs as few parasites as possible. I am also in favor of limiting the amount of benefits available
In. We're facing increased global pressures, why on earth would we start to leave? The only way to act globally is to be in global organisation, such as the EU, for example climate change, how can we act upon this for futrue generations if we're not linked with other countries? All these trade impositions will not be going away by leaving the EU, if we import goods from them, we will have to follow their rules, not them ours. Of course, it's just my opinion, but I think it would be backwards to be leaving at this moment.

And for me, I'd love to go to university in Germany for a year or perhaps France, and the EU allows this. Plus, the migrants who come here pay more in taxes than they use from our services, though of course there's increased pressure on space in the UK, just ultimately the benefits I feel are better to stay in, despite the instability of the euro.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Calzs34
In. We're facing increased global pressures, why on earth would we start to leave? The only way to act globally is to be in global organisation, such as the EU, for example climate change, how can we act upon this for futrue generations if we're not linked with other countries? All these trade impositions will not be going away by leaving the EU, if we import goods from them, we will have to follow their rules, not them ours. Of course, it's just my opinion, but I think it would be backwards to be leaving at this moment.

The EU is the least global "organisation" there is dude
Original post by Save.Me

Load of rubbish.

1. Staying in the EU enables the Trans Pacific Partnership to make corporations eligible for compensation if UK Government re-nationalizes elements of the NHS away from the current clinical commissioning group set up.

2. Staying in the EU puts our economy at risk due to the huge quantitative easing money printing operations the EU has been doing which is similar to the USA and Japan. This has been causing huge inflation in the stock market, rock bottom interest rates which causes deflation and the product of this is a bubble which keeps on growing until it bursts!

And then you get a horrible decline which happens so fast you only know about it till its too late. Italy, Argentina, Germany and Zimbabwe have all been though this before.

3. Staying in the EU puts our national security at risk because there is a never ending stream of terrorists who hide amongst genuine refugees. These refugees movements are from the middle east who will gain access though Turkey and a never ending stream of refugees from africa who gain access though Italy.

4. Staying in the EU encourages crony capitalism and enables inefficient corporations to keep a float by the use of trade tariffs. The rest of the world are more productive and more efficient. Products from China are cheaper and better quality. Its about time we put a end to the zombie life line machine and started trading with the rest of the world.

This will increase British living standards and lower the cost of living.

5. The EU is putting Britain's energy security at risk by constantly enlarging and provoking Russia. Britain depends on Russia for the majority of its Gas imports. The last thing we need is Russia deciding to cut off the pipeline. We need to reduce all risks that pose a threat to energy price rises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending