The Student Room Group

EPQ advice and suggestions and IFS

I'm debating whether to do an IFS( financial based qualification equivalent to a GCSE) or an EPQ (equivalent to an AS level) I know EPQ is a lot of work. If I were to do it can anyone give me suggestions on what sort of things to do. I'm interested in psychology / biomedical science but I also would love to be a vet but I don't think I will get into university to do it. If you have done an EPQ before did you have to do a presentation ? Thanks in advance
Original post by Hmb28
I'm debating whether to do an IFS( financial based qualification equivalent to a GCSE) or an EPQ (equivalent to an AS level) I know EPQ is a lot of work. If I were to do it can anyone give me suggestions on what sort of things to do. I'm interested in psychology / biomedical science but I also would love to be a vet but I don't think I will get into university to do it. If you have done an EPQ before did you have to do a presentation ? Thanks in advance

Having done an EPQ myself my advice is do not do it. Unless you will definitely get a lower offer. It is not worth spending all the time on it when you can spend that time revising.
Reply 2
Original post by elliottls97
Having done an EPQ myself my advice is do not do it. Unless you will definitely get a lower offer. It is not worth spending all the time on it when you can spend that time revising.

What subjects did you take if you don't mind me asking ?
Original post by Hmb28

I did the EPQ this year and it was really enjoyable! I did have to do a presentation at the end but it was fairly easy to do. Feel free to ask me any questions you like about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What did you do your EPQ on? And was it hard to balance it with your other subjects ?
Original post by Edminzodo
I did the EPQ this year and it was really enjoyable! I did have to do a presentation at the end but it was fairly easy to do. Feel free to ask me any questions you like about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm currently a veterinary student at the RVC. I did an EPQ before I applied and really enjoyed it :smile:. You do have to do a presentation at the end but you can study something that really interests you. I did mine on the effect of bovine mastitis on the UK dairy industry or something along those lines. I have found that it really did help prepare me for research projects we have to do on the course, the skills for which are not often taught in standard A-levels. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :smile: just revising for exams so sorry if slow replies :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Vetstudent333
I'm currently a veterinary student at the RVC. I did an EPQ before I applied and really enjoyed it :smile:. You do have to do a presentation at the end but you can study something that really interests you. I did mine on the effect of bovine mastitis on the UK dairy industry or something along those lines. I have found that it really did help prepare me for research projects we have to do on the course, the skills for which are not often taught in standard A-levels. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :smile: just revising for exams so sorry if slow replies :smile:

was it valued when you applied for veterinary ? I don't think Edinburgh does and I wanted to apply there
Original post by Hmb28
What did you do your EPQ on? And was it hard to balance it with your other subjects ?

My EPQ was on an Ancient Egyptian pharaoh, Ramesses II, and his legacy in the modern world. It wasn't too hard to balance it with my other subjects after I organised myself. I got the project done by February.
Reply 8
Original post by Hmb28
was it valued when you applied for veterinary ? I don't think Edinburgh does and I wanted to apply there

I didn't apply to Edinburgh so I'm not sure if they value it. However most of the other universities I applied to did seem interested in it. It's very difficult to find an A-level that teaches you how to write a scientific paper. An EPQ allows you to practice these skills, such as referencing and citing other papers to support your own points. I personally have found it really helpful on the course regardless of whether it made a positive impact on my application :smile:
Original post by Hmb28
What subjects did you take if you don't mind me asking ?

I am studying Maths, Further Maths and History. My EPQ was looking Pierre de Fermat, how number theory he discovered works, how his theorems were proved and if they had any practical applications. My teacher said I got either a high B or an A.

Quick Reply

Latest