The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Ah I see. I'm just doing Jan 2012-June 15 regular edexcel past papers (6 past papers) + all the available past papers for Edexcel IAL Jan 14-Jan 16 (5 past papers) = 11 past papers in total + x number of madasmaths past papers that I can fit in my schedule before the exam day & recapping/going through a large majority of Madasmaths Q's/Examples ....

Its worked perfectly for C3/C4 went from 62%(c) to 93-95% (a*).
I just need to make sure I score 80% in M1 or at worse 75% to make sure I bag the A* as 90% in C3/C4 isn't hard but the 480 ums given I fkd up my most important AS module(C2) when I should have got 100% ums. :argh:

Do you learn about 'game theory' in your 3rd year at bath or?
It seems really interesting. :tongue:

Ouch, what 5 unis did u apply to via ucas & what was your insurance? :smile:
I know them feels. :jumphug: Fair enough... :shh: we're being watched! :biggrin:

That sounds like a good plan to be fair :tongue:

Yeah for sure, if you're aiming for an A* then you'll probably get 180+ UMS from C3 and C4 combined so it's just 300 from the other 4 units. I don't know how you felt about C2 but you must get at least some UMS from it :tongue:

Here are a list of units and their descriptions. Game theory most likely pops up somewhere but I haven't seen it in the options I'm looking at :s-smilie: but you're right, it does look interesting :tongue: one of the things I want to study in the third year is 'graph theory and applications' which seems to be about the stuff you see in D1 but in much more detail/complexity and seens to be genuine fun :excited: (apparently, you will know the answer to 'how many bodyguards do you need in an art gallery':wink:.

My AS grades weren't good enough for most of my choices, but I applied to Cambridge and UCL (rejected from both), Durham (rejected but offered a place for Computer Science), firmed Bath and insured Surrey :h:

:ninja2:
Negative acceleration would mean it's accelerating opposite to the direction you stated as positive, you can't just make it positive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah I see. I'm just doing Jan 2012-June 15 regular edexcel past papers (6 past papers) + all the available past papers for Edexcel IAL Jan 14-Jan 16 (5 past papers) = 11 past papers in total + x number of madasmaths past papers that I can fit in my schedule before the exam day & recapping/going through a large majority of Madasmaths Q's/Examples for every module. :sigh: ---> :work: = 24/7.

Its worked perfectly for C3/C4 went from 62%(c) to 93-95% (a*).
I just need to make sure I score 80% in M1 or at worse 75% to make sure I bag the A* as 90% in C3/C4 isn't hard but the 480 ums given I fkd up my most important AS module(C2) when I should have got 100% ums. :argh:

Do you learn about 'game theory' in your 3rd year at bath or?
It seems really interesting. :tongue:

Ouch, what 5 unis did u apply to via ucas & what was your insurance? :smile:
I know them feels. :jumphug: Fair enough... :shh: Our convo being watched! :lol:

Im sure if you can get A* in c3/c4 you should be able to get A in m1 :biggrin:
And have you done any other mechanic module ?
Original post by mani119
Im sure if you can get A* in c3/c4 you should be able to get A in m1 :biggrin:
And have you done any other mechanic module ?

Nop. Just M1 but I'm planning to self-teach M2 over the summer before
I start studying Physics in Sep. :moon:

80 ums in either M1/S2 would be a dream come true since C3/C4 isn't a challenge. :sigh: Everyone superhero has their weakness. :lol:
Nop. Just M1 but I'm planning to self-teach M2 over the summer before
I start studying Physics in Sep. :moon:

80 ums in either M1/S2 would be a dream come true since C3/C4 isn't a challenge. :sigh: Everyone superhero has their weakness. :lol:

Damn, I find M1 easy mainly because I do m2 and physics but getting A* in c3/c4 is going to be hard :tongue:
Also will have to do m3 next year :angry:
Original post by mani119
Damn, I find M1 easy mainly because I do m2 and physics but getting A* in c3/c4 is going to be hard :tongue:
Also will have to do m3 next year :angry:

I do M1 + A level Physics. I guess its because the M1 concepts are just instinct
to you since you've covered M2.

I'll do your C3/C4 exams if you do my M1 exam. Deal? :colone:
You do F.maths?
If you're asked whether a particle will move down a plane or remain stationary, is it sufficient to use the
Tan(theta) > coefficient of friction rule?

Could you simply that tan(theta) is greater than coef. of friction therefore the particle will slide down the slope?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do M1 + A level Physics. I guess its because the M1 concepts are just instinct
to you since you've covered M2.

I'll do your C3/C4 exams if you do my M1 exam. Deal? :colone:
You do F.maths?

Yh I do further maths but I still think I'll do good in c3 and c4:colondollar:
Original post by Don Joiner
If you're asked whether a particle will move down a plane or remain stationary, is it sufficient to use the
Tan(theta) > coefficient of friction rule?

Could you simply that tan(theta) is greater than coef. of friction therefore the particle will slide down the slope?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i've personally never heard of this rule (but if it is a rule then i don't see why you can't use it)
what i usually do is take a positive direction, up or down the plane, then work out the force moving the particle, taking the particle in the positive direction. if the answer you get is positive, the particle will be moving in the positive direction, but if the answer you get is negative, the particle will be moving in the opposite direction (than the one you calculated it as, ie opposite of the positive direction)
Moments question: is the mass of a beam always in the middle of the beam?
Original post by amelienine

As long as the beam is modelled as a uniform rod it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131

no. The question will either say uniform beam (mass in the centre) or non-uniform (centre of mass at unknown point - you normally have to find where)

Only if they say it is "Uniform" - this implies the mass is evenly distributed and it can be assumed that the weight acts at its midpoint.

If they say it is "Non-uniform" then the weight is not at its midpoint. Usually they will tell you where the weight acts or you may have to calculate where.

---

edit bit late but oh well
How is everyone revising for M1?
Original post by particlestudent
How is everyone revising for M1?

Doing as many past papers as possible.
Also looking at the examples in the book helps
Original post by mani119
Doing as many past papers as possible.
Also looking at the examples in the book helps

I've been doing that too. I don't know if this is the case with you but, at one point I didn't revise M1 at all for weeks but I still managed to remember everything, unlike C3 and 4.

I'm going to move onto Solomon papers now :biggrin:.
Original post by particlestudent
I've been doing that too. I don't know if this is the case with you but, at one point I didn't revise M1 at all for weeks but I still managed to remember everything, unlike C3 and 4.

I'm going to move onto Solomon papers now :biggrin:.

I do m2 so I remember :redface:
But I flopped my chemistry as , now im sad and have no motivation to revise :frown:.
Bruh.
In honesty...the only topic that I think would be a nightmare has to be vectors...though in my case, my teacher really sucked with the topic.
Original post by muctarrio97
In honesty...the only topic that I think would be a nightmare has to be vectors...though in my case, my teacher really sucked with the topic.

Exam solution is good, he explains it thoroughly
What's everyone's main M1 revision method at this stage?

Also, are Solomon papers good for Mechanics modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending