The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, yes I'm sure you're right. Yeah I've always been terrible at that! I've always tried to get the smallest size I can in whatever item of clothing it is when I go shopping. Most of my current clothes are size 6 with a few size 8s but they're definitely getting too small now so I'll have to go clothes shopping soon and get probably some size 8s and some size 10s and I'm really not looking forward to trying clothes on in the changing rooms. I usually shop in shops like Topshop and lots of people who shop there seem to be so skinny! I know you shouldn't care and actually I never talk about this sort of thing in real life hence the anonymous thread on here. If you met me in real life I'm actually much more interested in school/university stuff, science, politics etc. I've only started to get worried about this recently because as I said this is the first time I've put on weight and I probably kind of took being skinny for granted before.

ah ok well i wish you luck in finding good fitting clothes lol i shop at topshop too and they never put a sale on petite jeans :frown:
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

No, factually you're healthy, much closer to being underweight than overweight. Don't change and ignore everyone saying you're chubby as you're far from it. A BMI of 18.5-24.9 is healthy so this is factual.
Attachment not found
Original post by keturah
Not at all. You're about average height, size eight to ten is perfect.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
im 5'3 and i weight 8.3! no its not bloody chubby! and iv had 3 kids!!

That's great if you've had three kids! I'm just checking if it's okay if you haven't had any like me. I'm just checking about me specifically, I definitely don't want to offend anyone. :smile:
That's great if you've had three kids! I'm just checking if it's okay if you haven't had any like me. I'm just checking about me specifically, I definitely don't want to offend anyone. :smile:

its fine. its a healthy weight
i used to b 6 1/2 before kids
No lose some weight chubs
WTF? No.
Not at all.
A past girlfriend of similar height and broadly 'pear-shaped' build, who used to fluctuate between sizes 8 and 10 above and sizes 10 and 12 below—and was, at times, very slightly overweight—could probably have warranted the term 'chubby'. Personally, it didn't detract significantly from her figure or overall aesthetic appeal in my estimation, but then equally nor do I presume to speak in regards to all women or on behalf of all men; so my advice is that you find a (healthy) weight which you feel best complements your physical proportions, and work to maintain it through a sustainable combination of diet and exercise as befits any stable, responsible, competent adult.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I'm 5"3, 15 yr old and a size 10. I usually get size 10 bc of my chest however I think you're fine. Just do some cardio here and there (Dance is recommended bc it'll make you feel better)

Thank you, yes I am going to try cardio! :smile:
Original post by Jebedee
Like I said it depends on height as that makes the biggest difference. A 5'11 girl at size 12 is also fairly slim. I don't date British girls so it isn't really an issue for me.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for your opinion.
From those numbers I don't think it's possible you could look chubby. I say this as someone who's 5'2, around 8 and a half stone, and size 8-10 - I would say I am averagely built/quite slim. The fact you are a little taller and lighter makes me think you would look slimmer than average :smile:
Ignore Jebedee. I'm not saying his preferences aren't valid, everyone has them. But you shouldn't let one person's opinions define how you feel. Just because you're not skinny enough for him, doesn't mean you're not a good size.

Ultimately: are you healthy? If no, then make a change. Are you happy? If you want to loose weight, and can whilst still being healthy, then go ahead! But until you learn to love yourself, no matter what you do or buy, you won't feel good enough. You have to remember that there's so much more to you that a clothing size.

For the record: I'm 18, 5ft3 and size 8/10 on top, size 10/12 bottom, and I think around 8 stone. My body is by no means "perfect", but I can't change it. On the other hand, I'm a straight A student and good at cooking, so everyone has something! Even more importantly, I'm healthy, I don't have some sort of illness I can't control or life circumstance which suck. So focus on the positive :smile:

Thank you, yes I am definitely healthy. My BMI is 19.8 and I do eat healthily. However, I've not really been happy about it recently because as I said before on this thread I used to be underweight and a size 4/size 6. I've never really gained weight before so I'm not used to being bigger. Probably quite a lot of people would say that my current size is healthier and maybe they're right but it feels chubby-ish to me comparatively. Some of the comments on here are slightly worrying as well (although luckily most are positive). You're definitely right about learning to be happy with yourself and I'll try to be more positive. This isn't usually like me to obsess over something like this but it's just got me really worried recently. Anyway, to end on a positive note, I'm a straight A student too and I'm good at drama and singing so you're right there's more to life than a clothes size! :smile:
Yeh it sounds fat to me
Original post by dnr_23
ah ok well i wish you luck in finding good fitting clothes lol i shop at topshop too and they never put a sale on petite jeans :frown:

Thanks haha, hopefully I'll find some that are really nice. Haha no I suppose they don't! I'm actually standard size at the height I am now but I used to be short enough to need petite and I always found it really annoying how you had to wait for ages for a pair of jeans that was already out in standard size to come out in petite!
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
No, factually you're healthy, much closer to being underweight than overweight. Don't change and ignore everyone saying you're chubby as you're far from it. A BMI of 18.5-24.9 is healthy so this is factual.
Attachment not found

Thank you! :smile: Would you say it would be better not to lose weight then?
No lose some weight chubs

Thank you... You're so nice! In case someone with your mentality can't tell: I'm being sarcastic.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Not at all.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Profesh
A past girlfriend of similar height and broadly 'pear-shaped' build, who used to fluctuate between sizes 8 and 10 above and sizes 10 and 12 below—and was, at times, very slightly overweight—could probably have warranted the term 'chubby'. Personally, it didn't detract significantly from her figure or overall aesthetic appeal in my estimation, but then equally nor do I presume to speak in regards to all women or on behalf of all men; so my advice is that you find a (healthy) weight which you feel best complements your physical proportions, and work to maintain it through a sustainable combination of diet and exercise as befits any stable, responsible, competent adult.

Thank you, that's helpful. :smile:
From those numbers I don't think it's possible you could look chubby. I say this as someone who's 5'2, around 8 and a half stone, and size 8-10 - I would say I am averagely built/quite slim. The fact you are a little taller and lighter makes me think you would look slimmer than average :smile:

Thank you, that makes me feel better! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending