The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RobML
-God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.

Also
Original post by RobML
Also

Thank you for that kind speech about the Lord but since when were you a believer of Christ?
Reply 102
Original post by queen-bee
Thank you for that kind speech about the Lord but since when were you a believer of Christ?

I'm not religious, just arguing that there's nothing logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven as someone suggested :smile:
Original post by RobML
I'm not religious, just arguing that there's nothing logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven as someone suggested :smile:

Damn straight there isn't!
Original post by jf1994
By that logic, there are an infinite number of things one could be agnostic about.

Yep thats called philosophy. People often study philosophy and religion hand in hand.
Original post by Tsunaomi
Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you explain the reasoning here please?
Original post by TMC113
Can you explain the reasoning here please?

As in if there is a God, would you 'banish' him and call him evil?
It may sound oxymoronic, but if God did exist would you still decide not to follow him because of the suffering and injustices he has caused?
We went over this in my Philosophy class- Stephen Fry agrees along these lines and I found it interesting :smile:
(Which is acknowledging there could be a God, but not to 'believe' in him, to shun him)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 107
As in if there is a God, would you 'banish' him and call him evil?
It may sound oxymoronic, but if God did exist would you still decide not to follow him because of the suffering and injustices he has caused?
We went over this in my Philosophy class- Stephen Fry agrees along these lines and I found it interesting :smile:
(Which is acknowledging there could be a God, but not to 'believe' in him, to shun him)

"Believe" is sometimes taken to mean "believe in the positive virtues of", but only in a very informal context. To believe in God is literally just that, to believe in his existence, and no atheist believes in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
"Believe" is sometimes taken to mean "believe in the positive virtues of", but only in a very informal context. To believe in God is literally just that, to believe in his existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True- just tryna explore a different viewpoint.
I find it strange how so many atheists speak of how horrible God is but then say he doesn't exist- how is something that doesn't exist bad? :P
I'm also an athiest/humanist :smile:
Reply 109
I find it strange how so many atheists speak of how horrible God is but then say he doesn't exist- how is something that doesn't exist bad? :P

If he did exist, he would be responsible for the vast amounts of suffering we witness, and therefore isn't all that nice to put it lightly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you atheist? And what is a humanist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Do you think being or feeling mystical is part of the human condition?
Original post by Thomb
Do you think being or feeling mystical is part of the human condition?

Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Original post by davidguettafan
Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it human to feel mystical?
Original post by Thomb
Is it human to feel mystical?

I don't know what feeling "mystical" means and you don't seem to want to explain it to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
I don't know what feeling "mystical" means and you don't seem to want to explain it to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mystical a spiritual sensation you know like religious but without labels. Have you ever felt spiritual?
Original post by Thomb
Mystical a spiritual sensation you know like religious but without labels. Have you ever felt spiritual?

I still don't know what you mean so I guess the answer is no, I have never felt spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
I still don't know what you mean so I guess the answer is no, I have never felt spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe you. (LoL:biggrin:)
Original post by Thomb
I don't believe you. (LoL:biggrin:)

Does anyone else honestly know what feeling "spiritual" is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blackstar152
What about agnostic athiesm? While i do not BELIEVE there is a god i CANNOT be 100% certain.

I don't see a difference. An athiest isn't 100% certain.

Quick Reply