The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apprently Sakho's defence questioned whether the substance he used should be in the banned list, which lead to UEFA investigating this on WADA list
Wow thought it was all rumour but Guardian running an article on it

The Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has been handed a Euro 2016 lifeline after Uefa chose not to extend his suspension from football after a positive drugs test.

However, Uefa has decided not to extend that suspension, which is due to expire on Saturday, as they have launched their own investigation into whether the fat-burning substance the centre-back took should even be on the banned list.

Uefa said in a statement: “The 30-day provisional suspension ends today. The chairman of the control, ethics and disciplinary body decided not to extend it. The player would thus be free to play as from tomorrow. A decision on the case will be made within the next few days.”

As a result the case against Sakho remains on file pending those investigations but with his suspension lifted he is technically available for selection by national team boss Didier Deschamps, with national teams having until 31 May to submit their final squads for this summer’s tournament in France.

Sakho submitted his defence to Uefa’s disciplinary committee on Monday and as part of that his legal team questioned whether the substance in the supplement should even be on the prohibited list given some apparent scientific evidence on its effects.

Rather than set a date for a hearing to consider the defender’s case Uefa has instead ordered their own disciplinary body to first look into whether the substance should even be on the Wada list.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/28/mamadou-sakho-no-further-doping-ban
Original post by Zerforax
Wow thought it was all rumour but Guardian running an article on it

The Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has been handed a Euro 2016 lifeline after Uefa chose not to extend his suspension from football after a positive drugs test.

However, Uefa has decided not to extend that suspension, which is due to expire on Saturday, as they have launched their own investigation into whether the fat-burning substance the centre-back took should even be on the banned list.

Uefa said in a statement: “The 30-day provisional suspension ends today. The chairman of the control, ethics and disciplinary body decided not to extend it. The player would thus be free to play as from tomorrow. A decision on the case will be made within the next few days.”

As a result the case against Sakho remains on file pending those investigations but with his suspension lifted he is technically available for selection by national team boss Didier Deschamps, with national teams having until 31 May to submit their final squads for this summer’s tournament in France.

Sakho submitted his defence to Uefa’s disciplinary committee on Monday and as part of that his legal team questioned whether the substance in the supplement should even be on the prohibited list given some apparent scientific evidence on its effects.

Rather than set a date for a hearing to consider the defender’s case Uefa has instead ordered their own disciplinary body to first look into whether the substance should even be on the Wada list.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/28/mamadou-sakho-no-further-doping-ban

Good news that.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Good news that.

Shame he missed the end of our season but couldve been so much worse.
Anyone see Origi almost score a sublime bicycle kick for Belguim?

Outstanding save but unreal from the kid - I'm so excited to have him next season.
Was really a question anyway why was that on the banned list?
Not a liverpool fan, but I watched Chilwell play 2 games for England u21's recently. Looked a very good player, albeit against quite weak opposition.

He's good in the air for someone under 6 foot, and has a very good work rate and defensive positioning. Very calm and elegant on the ball, can dribble, pass and cross and is also pretty quick.

If I could liken him to a current player, it would be Maxwell (from PSG), but slightly better defensively, and has the potential to become even better. As an England fan, I will watch with interest.
Looks like Markovic is to pull out of the Serbia squad due to yet another injury.

That won't help him in his fight for a place next season.
Are people excited for next season? Tbh I'm not atm..
Original post by BigWillow

Why not?

We've signed a keeper, CB and it looks like we're pursuing LBs.

Personally if we can buy a LB and CM, that's all we'd "need". Anything else would just be a luxury. I think it would be nice to upgrade going forward if we have money left over (I.e: Götze to replace Lallana - although that's very unlikely now).
Original post by Lúcio
Why not?

We've signed a keeper, CB and it looks like we're pursuing LBs.

Personally if we can buy a LB and CM, that's all we'd "need". Anything else would just be a luxury. I think it would be nice to upgrade going forward if we have money left over (I.e: Götze to replace Lallana - although that's very unlikely now).

I just seriously hope Klopp plays Karius as first choice, fed up of seeing Mignolet week in week out.
Also, the LB's we are going for don't fill me with much hope tbh such as Chilwell.
I also hope Origi gets a proper season next year, with sturridge being so injury prone, I really believe Origi could get 20+ goals next year given the chance!

Possibly a reason why not looking forward to new season to much, is the moving seats in the main stand from the seats I've had since I was 7!

Yes very much so. Since Benitez's last season in charge I think next season is the one I've felt most confident about. I was never 100% convinced about Woy, Kenny or Rodgers and the title challenge under Rodgers came out of the blue. The following season I was more pessimistic since we had sold Suarez.

I don't see us selling any of our best/key players this summer and Klopp is the biggest name we've had since Rafa joined in 2004. I think we'll have a much more coherent summer and Klopp will be able to attract options higher up his want list.

On top of that, with Leicester just having won the league, why can't we next season?! With no European football, Klopp will be able to focus 100% on the league too so we'll see our best 11-16 players on a consistent basis.
Original post by Zerforax
Yes very much so. Since Benitez's last season in charge I think next season is the one I've felt most confident about. I was never 100% convinced about Woy, Kenny or Rodgers and the title challenge under Rodgers came out of the blue. The following season I was more pessimistic since we had sold Suarez.

I don't see us selling any of our best/key players this summer and Klopp is the biggest name we've had since Rafa joined in 2004. I think we'll have a much more coherent summer and Klopp will be able to attract options higher up his want list.

On top of that, with Leicester just having won the league, why can't we next season?! With no European football, Klopp will be able to focus 100% on the league too so we'll see our best 11-16 players on a consistent basis.

Yes you do make some very good points, I am slightly more optimistic now! However, I hope the squad performs well on there own, without as it seemed towards the end the season carried by the atmosphere and by the enthusiasm of Klopp. If that happens and we begin well, I can see us doing very well this year.
Lets just hope the recruitment is good this year in comparison to the dross we have seen in seasons gone by. Also kind of gutted im going uni this year so won't be able to go to as many matches as I'd like to, but still up the reds!
Mane is a real link according to Joyce. I'd be happy with him coming in. Takes an absurd number of shots in the penalty area, presses really well, and is a great direct dribbler. Still room for another attacker of sufficient quality (ie Gotze) but I'd be fine with Mane as our new wide option.

Hopefully the Dahoud link still has legs. He's utter class and much more refined than Zielinski. After that, we need a left back, and then we're good to go. Chilwell is the only active link but hopefully Klopp just goes for the obvious in Hector.
When people are saying that Dahoud is great and would really like to have him; have they ever seen him play a full match and in all honesty had they actually heard of him until the rumours linking him this summer?
Yeah, it's not too difficult to watch Man City in the Champions League nowadays actually. People who are wondering about the credibility of people saying Dahoud is great; have you got anything better to do than question internet forum posters on which footballers they like?
Original post by Weston Road
Yeah, it's not too difficult to watch Man City in the Champions League nowadays actually. People who are wondering about the credibility of people saying Dahoud is great; have you got anything better to do than question internet forum posters on which footballers they like?

Wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just don't know where he has sprang from considering I had literally never heard his name spoken by a commentator/podcast or written by a journalist/commenter/poster until the season ended.

He seems to have come from nowhere and it's decided that he's now worth over £45,000,000. It's just odd.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just don't know where he has sprang from considering I had literally never heard his name spoken by a commentator/podcast or written by a journalist/commenter/poster until the season ended.

He seems to have come from nowhere and it's decided that he's now worth over £45,000,000. It's just odd.

We were linked with him in April or maybe March by Hunter. I'd seen him play against City before, didn't really cross my mind until Hunter (or maybe Barrett) linked us to him.

He is a bit 'out of the blue' but so is Alli or Rashford for any non-PL watcher, and I don't think anybody would raise eyebrows at a £30m pricetag on Alli. With some players their quality is just so evident that you'd back a reasonably big bid even after just one season, at a young age. £45m is entering the territory where we couldn't really go, but I'd back a £30m bid and I think £25m+ is the market price for someone of his current and potential ability, when you look at the fees for Martial, Sterling, Renato Sanches and co.
It didn't cross your mind before, but he's "utter class" as soon as he's linked with Liverpool?

Seems legit.
Yes you do make some very good points, I am slightly more optimistic now! However, I hope the squad performs well on there own, without as it seemed towards the end the season carried by the atmosphere and by the enthusiasm of Klopp. If that happens and we begin well, I can see us doing very well this year.
Lets just hope the recruitment is good this year in comparison to the dross we have seen in seasons gone by. Also kind of gutted im going uni this year so won't be able to go to as many matches as I'd like to, but still up the reds!

Can you ever imagine an unenthusiastic Klopp? I'm more worried about him having a stroke! I expect Klopp's narrative about the players needing to rile up the crowd and that the fans need to vocally support the players will continue throughout his tenure. I can't remember the last great summer transfer we had.. Maybe as far back as 07/08 when we signed Torres? Last summer was good other than the huge mark that is Benteke..

We had that January where we signed Sturridge and Coutinho. Tbh we haven't been great in transfers for years now.

Original post by Weston Road
Mane is a real link according to Joyce. I'd be happy with him coming in. Takes an absurd number of shots in the penalty area, presses really well, and is a great direct dribbler. Still room for another attacker of sufficient quality (ie Gotze) but I'd be fine with Mane as our new wide option.

Hopefully the Dahoud link still has legs. He's utter class and much more refined than Zielinski. After that, we need a left back, and then we're good to go. Chilwell is the only active link but hopefully Klopp just goes for the obvious in Hector.

I guess my only concerns with Mane are - will Southampton rip us off again? Can Mane become consistent? Perhaps this season blip was just due to having his head turned in January?

You don't think we need a CM?

Latest