The Student Room Group

EU is science communism :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueSam3

That's not "open access".

Original post by Joinedup
He's talking about the research group paying the journal to make it open access - the so called 'gold route'

http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/documents/documents/openaccessfaqs-pdf/

Thanks - yes it's effectively open access, not sure why you'd say it wasn't? Anyone can view the article without paying.

From the guardian article:

"In the UK, funding bodies generally require that researchers publish under open access terms, with open access publishing fees paid from the researcher’s grant."

The point was that OP doesn't trust the UK government to make things open access...but all UK funded research is already required to be, so in that regards we're already ahead of Europe :dontknow:

EDIT: I'm slightly confused, is the article saying ALL papers published in a European journal would be open access or just all publicly funded papers from EU universities?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
All scientific papers to be free by 2020 under EU proposals

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/28/eu-ministers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers

:woo:

I'm spending a lot of time at the moment finding literature on various areas of physics and the amount of ******** pay walls I come up against is ****ing stupid. It also means scientists from poor countries can not get access to them without forking a massive bill.

Currently it's only specifically open source journals such as IOP and other specifically freely available. But that could be about to change.

"All publicly funded scientific papers published in Europe could be made free to access by 2020, under a “life-changing” reform ordered by the European Union’s science chief, Carlos Moedas."

Can you imagine UK Tories doing this? Why would anyone set up a journal or do science if the work was accessible free of charge or if there was in fact no profit motive? Are you crazy? :eek3:

Information wants to be free!

Spoiler

EU trying to be santa claus before the referendum. lets see if they are still the same after it .
Viva la revolucíon!
Good. Like why on Earth is that a bad thing? I can't get my head around it. That is intrinsically good as far as I can see.

You can't stop progress. :colonhash:

That is only a bad thing if you are an awful human.

"Oh no! This massive network we have made than can duplicate information in what tends to infinity will will be distributed to every human who has access to this network. No what we really need is to create artificial scarcity in order to ensure a large section of humanity lives in the dark ages for perpetuity."

It's like if we invented a machine that could be used to duplicate food with next to no effort but we made laws to prohibit it on "piracy" grounds so a bunch of selfish people can profit. Make sure hunger continues so some people can get rich.

If you are for that you are objectively an awful person. :colonhash:

A bit like pharmaceuticals and illness/diseases then.
Original post by JamesN88
A bit like pharmaceuticals and illness/diseases then.

In terms of stuff like Malaria the profit motive gets in the way of curing it. Diseases that overwhelming only effect poor brown people in developing countries get very little attention. Compare reaction to Malaria and Ebola as soon as a white western catches it and comes to a western country.
All scientific papers to be free by 2020 under EU proposals

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/28/eu-ministers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers

:woo:

I'm spending a lot of time at the moment finding literature on various areas of physics and the amount of ******** pay walls I come up against is ****ing stupid. It also means scientists from poor countries can not get access to them without forking a massive bill.

Currently it's only specifically open source journals such as IOP and other specifically freely available. But that could be about to change.

"All publicly funded scientific papers published in Europe could be made free to access by 2020, under a “life-changing” reform ordered by the European Union’s science chief, Carlos Moedas."

Can you imagine UK Tories doing this? Why would anyone set up a journal or do science if the work was accessible free of charge or if there was in fact no profit motive? Are you crazy? :eek3:

Information wants to be free!

Spoiler

Thank goodness.The number of times I have wanted to read a science article but I saw a paywall and the amount they charge is just ridiculous.I hope this is the beginning of a revolution in science publishing where we can read articles for free.It`s even worse for university libraries,some companies like Elsevier which own Cell are particular culprits ,bundling together rip off bundles which have some completely **** journals.
This is already beginning with stuff like arXiv and PLOS Biology.I feel like this act by the EU is long overdue.
Damn EU! If only we could leave the EU and not have access to such important scientific research because of 'soveriegnty' or something...
Excellent move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending