The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelsarepoo
We struggled on exactly the same things :frown: I lost all bloody marks on that 4+6 light transmission one then chatted crap for the vacuum one. Also made up an answer for the citric acid as he no idea, it's obvious now tho :frown: everyone's saying it was so easy and that grade boundaries will be low but I made so many small silly mistakes. Plus yeah the massive microscope of a leaf was so unclear and you could barely differentiate between any of it, none of the organelles except the mitochondria looked like anything I'd ever seen before and I've done every past paper there is for BY1. So annoying that I've been getting 95% in all past papers and then probably got a B or a C in that exam :'(

I said that citric acid was a competitive inhibitor and talked about how it will block the substrate from forming enzyme substrate complexes therefore slowing the rate of reaction down. The freezing one I had no idea and as for the vacuum one I just made up something like preventing contamination from bad bacteria. I will agree that the micrograph was shitty I had to guess most of it. The water potential question was so bad too... I had no idea what to write so i just wrote everything i knew lol
Original post by xColourReign
I said that citric acid was a competitive inhibitor and talked about how it will block the substrate from forming enzyme substrate complexes therefore slowing the rate of reaction down. The freezing one I had no idea and as for the vacuum one I just made up something like preventing contamination from bad bacteria. I will agree that the micrograph was shitty I had to guess most of it. The water potential question was so bad too... I had no idea what to write so i just wrote everything i knew lol

Ahahah we've done literally exactly the same thing. I wrote that it was an inhibitor and said what you did but that's wrong it's just citric acid alters the ph so will repel substrate. For the vacuum own I said it only goes brown in oxygen which I scribbled down as the invilgaitor was taking my paper and I'd left it blank. I completely bs'ed the water potential one and I know it was wrong. The paper wasn't hard I just made stupid mistakes :frown:
Ahahah we've done literally exactly the same thing. I wrote that it was an inhibitor and said what you did but that's wrong it's just citric acid alters the ph so will repel substrate. For the vacuum own I said it only goes brown in oxygen which I scribbled down as the invilgaitor was taking my paper and I'd left it blank. I completely bs'ed the water potential one and I know it was wrong. The paper wasn't hard I just made stupid mistakes :frown:

Damn that sucks :frown:... looking back at it now i feel so stupid because the freezing one was low temperature and the answer was probably less successful collisions with the active site resulting in slower rate of reaction which i should've known... also I forgot to put 0kpa and instead I just put 0 for the pressure question... i'm so frustrated at myself for these stupid mistakes too T_T. I'm hoping for B/C grade. I had an E last year which I was completely taken aback by.. >.>
Original post by xColourReign
Damn that sucks :frown:... looking back at it now i feel so stupid because the freezing one was low temperature and the answer was probably less successful collisions with the active site resulting in slower rate of reaction which i should've known... also I forgot to put 0kpa and instead I just put 0 for the pressure question... i'm so frustrated at myself for these stupid mistakes too T_T. I'm hoping for B/C grade. I had an E last year which I was completely taken aback by.. >.>

I wrote that for the freezing one and I hope I can still get an A, as the grade boundaries are low I might be able to. I got an E last year too but only because I got suuuuuch low UMS in by2 last year hahah. I need an A this year for uni :frown: let's pray for low grade boundaries and has anyone made an unofficial paper or mark scheme?? I'm happy to try and piece one together with some people :smile:
Original post by aledrhys
I did the mitosis one.

I did the mitosis one too! But it screwed me over that it was about a plant, how do they synthesise spindle fibres with no centrioles?! It isn't in the book :angry: but mitosis is my jam so hopefully I got 10 on that one. How did you find it?
We struggled on exactly the same things :frown: I lost all bloody marks on that 4+6 light transmission one then chatted crap for the vacuum one. Also made up an answer for the citric acid as he no idea, it's obvious now tho :frown: everyone's saying it was so easy and that grade boundaries will be low but I made so many small silly mistakes. Plus yeah the massive microscope of a leaf was so unclear and you could barely differentiate between any of it, none of the organelles except the mitochondria looked like anything I'd ever seen before and I've done every past paper there is for BY1. So annoying that I've been getting 95% in all past papers and then probably got a B or a C in that exam :'(

so have i, I got a c last year and really wanted an a this time but pretty sure i blew it:/ yeah everyones saying it was so easy but I made stupid mistakes too, I did all the papers from 2006 and still messed up
Original post by chemstudent314
so have i, I got a c last year and really wanted an a this time but pretty sure i blew it:/ yeah everyones saying it was so easy but I made stupid mistakes too, I did all the papers from 2006 and still messed up

We're in exactly the same boat except I got an E lol. Was having a hard time though, so I'm doing all of my 3 a levels AS and A2 this year so really hoped for an A in that to balance out a probable C in By5 but doesn't look good for me either. Do you need an A for uni? If you're going haha. I did every by1 paper I could find which was like 15 and started off getting B's but then ended up getting 95% in most but definitely got a B or a C in that :frown: ffs life
Original post by valbrechts
can people stop talking about resits in this thread. The title even says new as

the one with the mitosis 10 marker is the new as! Wjec realised 2 papers so some people have sat either one
Original post by pinkdolphinsx
Yeah! I was actually getting worried that I'd skipped a page because everyone was going on about fish!

BTW, how did you find the essay Q?

I wrote about proto-oncogenes and cancer tumours and then the significance of both cell divsions for the fruit fly, dont think it ws enough but that paper was so gross so did my best
Original post by clairebear101
the one with the mitosis 10 marker is the new as! Wjec realised 2 papers so some people have sat either one

The new spec 9 mark question was on enzyme inhibitors, you must have done the legacy paper
Original post by lemonandlime1
The new spec 9 mark question was on enzyme inhibitors, you must have done the legacy paper

no look, WJEC had two papers, one under 'WJEC' and one under "EDUCAS' - since Educas are now part of Wjec, so forth there were 2 papers for the new spec
In the new spec did they have ebola, ratio questions, how viruses enters a host, sweet potatoes, and a tumour question?
Because mine was....
Read the title of the forum, stop talking about the old spec!!!! So annoying
Original post by Luketidley
Read the title of the forum, stop talking about the old spec!!!! So annoying

ur so annoying
I don't know what WJEC were playing at with the new specification Biology exam. The question paper was unlike any past paper and bared no resemblance to the specimen paper either. Being a new spec, I was expecting change, but not change to the extent that the whole paper required ridiculous amount of reading and application, with very few of the questions allowing us to prove we know our biological knowledge. The paper was more a case of “can you read this and try and infer what is going on”. The diagrams were terrible quality, in particular when asked to label A and B on a Spirogyra, the arrows were seemingly pointing at nothing! The fact that we have the same amount of time as the legacy papers, despite our exam being worth more marks and considerably more demanding, meant that many could not complete the paper. Perhaps if the exam was given more allocated time, students would be able to actually read the questions thoroughly in order to gain an understanding of the concept being tested.
Original post by ActuallyIDo
In the new spec did they have ebola, ratio questions, how viruses enters a host, sweet potatoes, and a tumour question?
Because mine was....

yes i did this paper
yes i did this paper

I hated that paper, It had no protein questions, Carbohydrates, NOT EVEN WATER and I barely answered the questions in detail because I was so shell shocked...

I'm like so mad and have failed epically......
But how do you think you did?
Original post by ActuallyIDo
I hated that paper, It had no protein questions, Carbohydrates, NOT EVEN WATER and I barely answered the questions in detail because I was so shell shocked...

I'm like so mad and have failed epically......
But how do you think you did?

It feels as if the past year of teaching has been pointless because all the knowledge we accumulated was not tested in that exam. Despite being an all A* student at GCSE, i am genuinely expecting a U in that exam.
Original post by megjane1510
It feels as if the past year of teaching has been pointless because all the knowledge we accumulated was not tested in that exam. Despite being an all A* student at GCSE, i am genuinely expecting a U in that exam.

I feel the same mainly cuz of studpid mistakes but i dont think we will be getting U's, the old spec has an A grade boundary of 75% average, with all this and how hard the exam was im expected around 60% and that, i think we can manage. I thought the 9 marker on cell division was okay but i messed up the graph and ratio question but the rest seemed do able if we had more time! the small time limit is ridiculous haha! at least this does count for next years grades anyway, we will all be fine, grade boundaires will be low
Original post by megjane1510

I feel the same mainly cuz of studpid mistakes but i dont think we will be getting U's, the old spec has an A grade boundary of 75% average, with all this and how hard the exam was im expected around 60% and that, i think we can manage. I thought the 9 marker on cell division was okay but i messed up the graph and ratio question but the rest seemed do able if we had more time! the small time limit is ridiculous haha! at least this does count for next years grades anyway, we will all be fine, grade boundaires will be low

Tbh I don't even think i'll be getting 60% at this rate ,like the lactose and galactose question (where it said name the products), my dumb ass put a glycosidic bond and water, and on the transcription question I was focusing on the diagram on the left hand side and only talked about splicing, not DNA helicase or RNA polymerase....

Not to mention phenolphthalein and milk making an appearance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending