The Student Room Group

Gold DofE for medical school worth it?

I've already completed the bronze certificate in secondary school and have been given the opportunity to do it in sixth form, but is it worth the money and effort for medical school/biomedical degree? Will it actually help my application?
I did it. Dunno if it helped directly but I was able to use it to demonstrate skills like leadership, communication, teamwork and all of those things which tick boxes on your applications. I actually really enjoyed the expeditions, and I was on a course that required you to do community service/learn new skills anyway so it was two birds with one stone.

The experiences you gain doing the activities can basically be good application fodder. You end up doing new things, volunteering, giving back to the community blah blah and it all looks good and will also teach you a lot. So in that sense it's worth doing.
Reply 2
I am sure it won't harm. Also lots of fun times and good memories.
I think it will tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by seaholme
I did it. Dunno if it helped directly but I was able to use it to demonstrate skills like leadership, communication, teamwork and all of those things which tick boxes on your applications. I actually really enjoyed the expeditions, and I was on a course that required you to do community service/learn new skills anyway so it was two birds with one stone.

The experiences you gain doing the activities can basically be good application fodder. You end up doing new things, volunteering, giving back to the community blah blah and it all looks good and will also teach you a lot. So in that sense it's worth doing.

Im starting long-term volunteering at my local hospital this summer, play for a sports team and am going to get a job - do you think these will kinda make up for it? It's just because I heard that at the school a lot of the expeditions are right before exams :s-smilie: and I don't want something that's not going to help me massively have an effect on my grades.
Gold D of E was 5 days of hell but I'd definitely recommend doing it.
It helped me because I applied for management and I could use it to show leadership and teamwork skills.
I think these skills are important for medicine too but not as important
Original post by HR321
Im starting long-term volunteering at my local hospital this summer, play for a sports team and am going to get a job - do you think these will kinda make up for it? It's just because I heard that at the school a lot of the expeditions are right before exams :s-smilie: and I don't want something that's not going to help me massively have an effect on my grades.

Well those things would all count for D of E. All you do on top of that is two expeditions - the job wouldn't count but if you have some kind of skill (most people do something 'creative' extra at school!) then why not do D of E? You're already doing pretty much everything you'd need for it.

The expeditions aren't set in stone, just tell your school you'll do them in the holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending