The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions on this years M1 difficulty? I haven't done June 15 yet so I don't know how hard that was

So far it has been a relatively difficult year with C1 being noticeably trickier and C2 average/tricky (question 9!)

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Also, are Solomon papers good for Mechanics modules?

I'd say they're good for M1. Not so much for M2 or M3.
What is the hardest M1 papers you've done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayman!
I'd say they're good for M1. Not so much for M2 or M3.

How about T Madas workbooks for M1?
Anyone explain part b to the IAL Jan 2014 queestion please?
https://534ff63a01f6cb44c9c4e69801769b0628cd58d1.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdG9SOEVLaTVSYUE/CH2.pdf

Please could someone explain page 83.

Ex 2E Q13

Why can the area of the trapezium where the horizontal lines are 'a' and 'b' not be used?
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
Anyone explain part b to the IAL Jan 2014 queestion please?

Which question?

And post your working / explain why you're stuck.
https://534ff63a01f6cb44c9c4e69801769b0628cd58d1.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdG9SOEVLaTVSYUE/CH2.pdf

Please could someone explain page 83.

Ex 2E Q13

Why can the area of the trapezium where the horizontal lines are 'a' and 'b' not be used?

Which trapezium? The whole shape is not a trapezium since it has 5 sides.

But you could make the method a bit faster by splitting the shape into two trapeziums e.g. if you cut the shape along the line x = 20.
Original post by notnek
Which question?

And post your working / explain why you're stuck.

It is the very last part of b, I don't get how they equate the areas/

Original post by notnek
Which trapezium? The whole shape is not a trapezium since it has 5 sides.

But you could make the method a bit faster by splitting the shape into two trapeziums e.g. if you cut the shape along the line x = 20.

Thank you awesome explanation
why do we set distances equal for two particles at the point of overtaking
It is the very last part of b, I don't get how they equate the areas/

You have to tell us the question number.
why do we set distances equal for two particles at the point of overtaking

Your question is a bit vague - if you post a question then we can help you better.

If two particles start from the same place then at the point that one overtakes the other, both particles will have the same displacement from the origin.
Should you draw a vertical line or not when plotting an instantaneous change in acceleration on an acceleration-time graph? sorry if this question is dumb but i never bothered to learn the chapter on speed/time graphs etc.
Original post by notnek
You have to tell us the question number.

last question sorry
Original post by notnek
Your question is a bit vague - if you post a question then we can help you better.

If two particles start from the same place then at the point that one overtakes the other, both particles will have the same displacement from the origin.

I see that makes more sense thank you.
last question sorry

Both trains start from the same station and end at the same station so the total distance travelled by both trains is the same.

This means that the areas under the graphs for the 2 trains will be the same.

First find the area under the train A graph (the trapezium).

If you get stuck, post all your working / ideas.
Original post by Themathgeek
What is the hardest M1 papers you've done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 2016 try that I bet you!
Not sure but it might seem easy for you.
Can anyone explain 5b on this paper?http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_que_20090113.pdf

I have been taught to resolve parallel then perpendicular, which is what I did, but I didn't get the right answers and the mark scheme is for resolving vertical/horizontal. This has happened on another paper too, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks anyone:smile:
There u all go! question paper and mark scheme for 2016 jan m1
and gold level 5 paper for M1.
Its gonna be hard according to what my friends have been predicting with me bcoz C12 was hard so we cant expect something better from the great EDEXCEL for m1 also. Good luck all of you for revision and hopefully we'll nail it!!
Is this thread for GCE M1 and/or IAL M1 ??
doesnt matter the subjects are same though......
Reply 159
Original post by SnowLeopard27
Can anyone explain 5b on this paper?http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_que_20090113.pdf

I have been taught to resolve parallel then perpendicular, which is what I did, but I didn't get the right answers and the mark scheme is for resolving vertical/horizontal. This has happened on another paper too, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks anyone:smile:

Could you perhaps post your working? I've seen that in the mark schemes a couple of times as well but resolving parallel and perpendicular should still give you the correct answer it may just be a longer method for this particular question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending