The Student Room Group

Should the US apologise for Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Konahagakure
It's a topic that I would like to hear peoples opinion on, especially after Obamas visit to Hiroshima.

konichiwa leaf village, dai jobu? and yes, I agree he should apologise on behalf of his nation. I can understand the logic for using it but it was totally unecessary (america had greater military might the enola gays flight)

you seem to be living on a different planet.

or simply brainwashed by japanese propaganda.

Right...
First, I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the majority of people are instinctively good to other people, but that this can (and often is) corrupted through the influence of others, in many cases by the government, which can be applied to soldiers who commit war crimes. This includes the Japanese, but it is important to remember it is not exclusively the Japanese.
Second, I have not been brainwashed by Japanese propaganda, I don't really believe such propaganda has existed in a time at which I would have been exposed to it (i.e. after 2000).

Finally, interesting to use a picture of Obama instead of making an actually valid argument against the points I set out.
He was probably referring to the majority of the civilian population not the IJA and IJN

Yay, someone who can actually see what I mean when I have qualified statements with words such as "for the most part". I would never wish to suggest the Japanese Army/Navy were good people.
Yes but Japan should also apologise for Pearl Harbour. They were all atrocious war crimes.
They should do a nice neutral apology for the circumstance of war that brought nations to such a point. On retrospect they regret it but it was necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He was probably referring to the majority of the civilian population not the IJA and IJN

Would you consider engineers building weapons for isis and accountants managing accounts for isis "civilians"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That would be genocide of millions which is worse than what the Japanese did. Please use sense when you are explaining your reasoning.

No it isn't. Even if japan is destroyed three times over it still won't match the destruction they created.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackster45

you seem to be living on a different planet.

or simply brainwashed by japanese propaganda.

Right...
First, I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the majority of people are instinctively good to other people, but that this can (and often is) corrupted through the influence of others, in many cases by the government, which can be applied to soldiers who commit war crimes. This includes the Japanese, but it is important to remember it is not exclusively the Japanese.
Second, I have not been brainwashed by Japanese propaganda, I don't really believe such propaganda has existed in a time at which I would have been exposed to it (i.e. after 2000).

Finally, interesting to use a picture of Obama instead of making an actually valid argument against the points I set out.

You believe you believe you believe. Some 10 years later you would believe isis are good people and wr should apologise for bombing them.

Propaganda exists throughout all times. Done by even the seemingly most decent countries. (Why do you think they appear decent? )

Those who are brainwashed by Japanese propaganda will never know. Pity them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
No it isn't. Even if japan is destroyed three times over it still won't match the destruction they created.

Posted from TSR Mobile

genocideˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/nounthe deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group."a campaign of genocide"synonyms: racial killing, massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killing; More

Do you not understand English?
Would you consider engineers building weapons for isis and accountants managing accounts for isis "civilians"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isis and the Empire of Japan are two completely different entities. The majority of the 73 million in Japan at that time had little or no part to play in the war.
They say that all is fair in love and war.

I think it would just dredge up bad feeling when Japan and the US are tremendous allies now. Countries need to stop demanding apologies for things that happened to other people, decades ago. There is no appetite in Japan to be apologised to and I doubt Japan would want to thus become obliged to apologise to neighbouring nations for WW2 war crimes.
genocideˈdʒɛnəsʌɪd/nounthe deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group."a campaign of genocide"synonyms:racial killing, massacre, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killing; More

Do you not understand English?

Thank you for explaining what Japan was doing on a scale so massive the British empire would feel ashamed of herself. No **** sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isis and the Empire of Japan are two completely different entities. The majority of the 73 million in Japan at that time had little or no part to play in the war.

You avoided the question. Because you are afraid of answering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We must not let our children, grandchildren, and even further generations to come, who have nothing to do with the war, be predestined to apologise. Even so, we Japanese, across generations, must squarely face history. We have a responsibility to inherit the past, in all humbleness, and pass it on to the future.”

- Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan
Thank you for explaining what Japan was doing on a scale so massive the British empire would feel ashamed of herself. No **** sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you trying to justify genocide?
You avoided the question. Because you are afraid of answering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because Isis and imperial Japan are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also Japan didn't kill over 200 million people you are clearly confused.
Because Isis and imperial Japan are different.

No because I checked mate you. I wasn't comparing both of them. I did not made mentioned of japan. You made the comparison. I am going to ask you a simple , non japan related question. Would you consider engineers building weapons and accountants running cheques for isis "civilians"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you trying to justify genocide?

I am justifying we stop genocide. Whatever the price is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No because I checked mate you. I wasn't comparing both of them. I did not made mentioned of japan. You made the comparison. I am going to ask you a simple , non japan related question. Would you consider engineers building weapons and accountants running cheques for isis "civilians"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The original conversation was not about Isis why are you bringing them up? The circumstances are different.
Nope obviously not the engineers in Isis know what they what their fighters are doing.

The Japanese civilians were never told about the atrocities and thought they were doing this for the greater good of their nation. Some of these engineers were probably only doing it to earn money for their families.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending