Not yet! I'll do it when exams are over :smile:
Original post by Dandie12
Anyone booked the UKCAT yet?

I have mine booked for 20th July!
I hope it goes well :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
I have mine booked for 20th July!
I hope it goes well :colondollar:

good luck! how are you going to prepare for it?
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Not yet! I'll do it when exams are over :smile:

same! how do you plan to prepare?
Original post by Dandie12
good luck! how are you going to prepare for it?

I'm waiting until exams are over, but I've got the UKCAT 800 questions book and going to sign up for medify two weeks before and just smash the questions :smile:

What about you?
Original post by Gogregg
I'm waiting until exams are over, but I've got the UKCAT 800 questions book and going to sign up for medify two weeks before and just smash the questions :smile:

What about you?

pretty much the same thing!
Here's a link to what universities are saying about medicine applicants, regarding the new AS/A Levels: https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/
Anyway up for a medicine 2017 whatsapp group chat lol
Hi guys! I'm an international student, and I don't have GCSEs but I have a GCSE equivalent that's recognised! So I had a GPA of 3.77/4, and I'm now doing my AS year! Have 4 predicted As at AS level and 4A*s predicted at A2 but I'm probably gonna drop economics haha (I'm doing biology, chemistry, Maths and economics)

Volunteering/ work experience: haven't done much, but I've already packed my summer with job shadowing at Hospitals across my country (will be in a neonatology clinic omg!!) and volunteering stints with soup kitchens :smile: so I'm sorted.

Hobbies: Figure skating (was second place in Malaysia nationals) and the violin. I also have a lab research project and was working under the supervision of a mentor in university! (So it's different to the EPQ)

My entry requirements are much tougher than you guys because I have quotas but I'm sincerely hoping I make it! Idk if I should be thinking about Oxford or Cambridge because I feel like I'll probably be wasting one of my options :/ what do you guys think? I'm considering Edinburgh, king's and UCL at the moment :smile: (maybe cardiff)
Reply 310
Original post by Moodicrus
Here's a link to what universities are saying about medicine applicants, regarding the new AS/A Levels: https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

Wait, so they wont even look at my As grades? Dam. I've been studying so hard for these...
Wait, so they wont even look at my As grades? Dam. I've been studying so hard for these...

They're still important for predicted grades, so you can't get away with low grades in them :smile:
Reply 312
Original post by Gogregg
They're still important for predicted grades, so you can't get away with low grades in them :smile:

Let's be honest here; If you tell your teacher you want to get into medical school and you need a high predicted grade, they will give it to you :P
Let's be honest here; If you tell your teacher you want to get into medical school and you need a high predicted grade, they will give it to you :P

Exactly, that's why the new a level reforms are quite unfair for us doing AS' if they're not even going to give us any advantage
Original post by SahraHB
I only got 10 A grades and 1 B at GCSE and am hoping to study medicine, but looking at this years applicants threads I'm so scared. How on earth did everyone manage to get 12a* at GCSE?

I'm predicted A*A*AA in chemistry biology maths and physics so A level predictions aren't too bad. I'm gonna have to get a miraculous UKCAT to make up for the GCSE's :frown:. In short I've got no hope but good luck to the rest of you.

I ONLY got 3 As in GCSE but i am still applying so i don't know what you're stressing about.
Does GCSE resit count? I didn't fail anything but my grades just aren't simply good enough to be applying for any university.

True, but that doesn't mean that the universities will accept them :wink:

Thats true, but it does run the risk of you not attaining those grades at the end of the year, if they are too high, so you may miss out on a place. Also, it does mean that more emphasis may be put on other sections of your application. I was speaking to the head of medical admissions for Bristol and they said that they are placing 70% weighting on your personal statement XD i couldn't believe it
The more I search into it, the more I feel I need to listen to people who are saying apply to your strengths!
My gonna lie, I feel like I've let myself down in the AS's I've sat so far.. Still got the second paper of bio and chem to go, as well as stats but I made some pretty bad mistakes and I'm actually a little bit relieved universities aren't putting too much emphasis on AS grades - but obviously if grades are good then that's just an added benefit for predicted grades etc. hope you're all having a break for a few days in half term :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
I ONLY got 3 As in GCSE but i am still applying so i don't know what you're stressing about.

how are u predicted that already when u havnt even done AS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending