The Student Room Group

Is communism making a come back in Europe?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jebedee
Citation needed.

Because people are not equal in skill.

I presume you believe that upstarts are the way forward i.e. working class capitalists.

People are easily taught the skills to become more skilled themselves easily.
Original post by Thomb
'tis true I treat Marx as a historical document it's dated and never worked.

Marxism is as relevant to today's society as Vitalism

:holmes:
Original post by Thomb
I presume you believe that upstarts are the way forward i.e. working class capitalists.

People are easily taught the skills to become more skilled themselves easily.

Ability and willingness to learn is also not equal.
Reply 23
Original post by Jebedee
Ability and willingness to learn is also not equal.

ok so everybody is different why should that prevent us from being equal?
Reply 24
Original post by the bear
Marxism is as relevant to today's society as Vitalism

:holmes:

Well yeah I s'pose so what is vitalism?
Original post by Thomb
ok so everybody is different why should that prevent us from being equal?

...I think you just answered your own question.

How is a low-functioning person going to be equally wealthy to a high-functioning person without state intervention to forcibly remove wealth from the latter?
Reply 26
Original post by Jebedee
...I think you just answered your own question.

How is a low-functioning person going to be equally wealthy to a high-functioning person without state intervention to forcibly remove wealth from the latter?

Capitalism. The vast majority of people were poor and now their are more wealthy people than before. The rich have stayed rich but the poor have become middle class thanks to capitalism.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Several towns across Czech, Slovakia, Poland etc have elected communist mayors and young people are taking an interest in Marx, Lenin and Mao.

Interestingly unlike in the UK there is not so much support for Trotkyism.

So do you think communism could make a return? I once read that Marx predicted capitalism would be the end of the world as we know it, and with the ongoing 2008 credit crunch recession that is happening gradually. We have seen our public services torn apart, record homelessness and poverty. Marx also predicted that within Cptialism are the seeds if its own destruction.

Communism is a nice ideology but it would never work because we are all selfish beings. For example, look at Communist Russia, Stalin was above all the citizens when you are supposed to be all the same.

I'm a Marxist but I truly consider communism to be a failure of Karl Marx's ideology. The only Communist leader that I actually think was good was Lenin, he improved Russia dramatically, it was a true loss that he died too soon.
Original post by Thomb
Capitalism. The vast majority of people were poor and now their are more wealthy people than before. The rich have stayed rich but the poor have become middle class thanks to capitalism.

So what's the problem?
Original post by Thomb
Well yeah I s'pose so what is vitalism?

it was the Big Idea at one time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitalism

no longer :beard:

& so it goes with every ism
Reply 30
Original post by Jebedee
So what's the problem?

The problem with your pint of view is that you can't see that if I was born rich I'd probably stay rich even though I'm thick.
Marxism is a meme that just won't die.
Original post by Thomb
The problem with your pint of view is that you can't see that if I was born rich I'd probably stay rich even though I'm thick.

Why is that a problem? It isn't true all of the time just look at lottery winners, 70% of them end up broke in a few years.

We've had this system for a long time, its called nobility. If I make millions of pounds and I'm able to pass that on to my children and grandchildren then I should be allowed to without the risk of having it removed from them because some lazy whiny millennials couldn't be bothered to work.

The concept of inheritance tax was concocted on the very same reasoning you are using, and it is already at 40% in the UK which I think is immoral and extortionate. I imagine that until you are wealthy yourself, anything under 100% is too little for you.
Reply 33
Original post by Defraction
Communism is a nice ideology but it would never work because we are all selfish beings. For example, look at Communist Russia, Stalin was above all the citizens when you are supposed to be all the same.

I'm a Marxist but I truly consider communism to be a failure of Karl Marx's ideology. The only Communist leader that I actually think was good was Lenin, he improved Russia dramatically, it was a true loss that he died too soon.

Russia has always been autocratic and Stalin was no different as I said above Marx is out of date and I view it as a historical document charting the hopes and aspirations of an english victorian working class - not really fit for the 21st C.
Reply 34
Original post by Jebedee
Why is that a problem? It isn't true all of the time just look at lottery winners, 70% of them end up broke in a few years.

We've had this system for a long time, its called nobility. If I make millions of pounds and I'm able to pass that on to my children and grandchildren then I should be allowed to without the risk of having it removed from them because some lazy whiny millennials couldn't be bothered to work.

The concept of inheritance tax was concocted on the very same reasoning you are using, and it is already at 40% in the UK which I think is immoral and extortionate. I imagine that until you are wealthy yourself, anything under 100% is too little for you.

No I don't delude myself with the notion of becoming wealthy. How does the nobility make us millions of pounds? I personally don't work because I'm mentally ill.
Original post by Thomb
No I don't delude myself with the notion of becoming wealthy. How does the nobility make us millions of pounds? I personally don't work because I'm mentally ill.

I think that post explains the general mindset of millennial commies better than anyone else ever could.
Reply 36
Original post by Jebedee
I think that post explains the general mindset of millennial commies better than anyone else ever could.

LoL :biggrin: Why?
Original post by Thomb
Russia has always been autocratic and Stalin was no different as I said above Marx is out of date and I view it as a historical document charting the hopes and aspirations of an english victorian working class - not really fit for the 21st C.

I know Marxism is an idealistic ideology and it's very nice to imagine but it won't work as we are too selfish as the only thing we truly care about is ourselves. I believe that communism and Marxism has significant differences- communism is not equal at all as there will always be some one more important than the civilians whereas Marxism clearly states that everyone is equal and that we all have an equal say. It is slightly outdated and doesn't fit civilised countries like France and USA but it might possibly work in failing democratic countries. But either way, I argue with you that it is idealistic and it makes the working class think of a better world.
Reply 38
Original post by Defraction
I know Marxism is an idealistic ideology and it's very nice to imagine but it won't work as we are too selfish as the only thing we truly care about is ourselves. I believe that communism and Marxism has significant differences- communism is not equal at all as there will always be some one more important than the civilians whereas Marxism clearly states that everyone is equal and that we all have an equal say. It is slightly outdated and doesn't fit civilised countries like France and USA but it might possibly work in failing democratic countries. But either way, I argue with you that it is idealistic and it makes the working class think of a better world.

Well I agree except that Marxism advocates violence whereas I'm a pacifist and believe capitalism will destroy itself without the use of violence.
According to a lot of Republicans, the US has had a Communist president for the last 8 years, trying to bring in free healthcare etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending