The Student Room Group

Will I get the marks? (EDEXCEL GCSE Maths)

So basically for question 23 (c) I labelled the midpoint of PT as M and the midpoint of OR as N. Then I found the vector MN to be (b-a) and the vector MS to be (b-a)/4. Then I wrote that S divides the line MN in ratio 1:3. Do you think that I can get at least 1 mark or full marks? I got the rest of the paper correct so I was wondering if I am able to get 100/100.
Reply 1
Original post by Ace2233
So basically for question 23 (c) I labelled the midpoint of PT as M and the midpoint of OR as N. Then I found the vector MN to be (b-a) and the vector MS to be (b-a)/4. Then I wrote that S divides the line MN in ratio 1:3. Do you think that I can get at least 1 mark or full marks? I got the rest of the paper correct so I was wondering if I am able to get 100/100.

I don't know what the question actually asked for... do you have any more details?
Reply 2
Original post by Dowel
I don't know what the question actually asked for... do you have any more details?

http://mrkibria.weebly.com/uploads/7/2/6/7/72672823/june_2016_higher_p1_worked_solutions_-_mr_kibria.pdf

Question 23 (c)
Reply 3

How did you work out MS as 1/4 (b-a) ? The first bit is right btw.
If you just assumed MS then you will lose a mark.
Reply 4
Original post by Dowel
How did you work out MS as 1/4 (b-a) ? The first bit is right btw.
If you just assumed MS then you will lose a mark.

I found that MS=MP+PS so MP=-1/2b and PS=1/4(-a+3b)=-1/4a+3/4b. When you add them them you get -1/2b+3/4b-1/4a which then gives you 1/4b-1/4a which can be factorised to (b-a)/4
Original post by Dowel

Is this 2016??? How did you get this paper...I'm in year 10 btw.
Reply 7
Original post by *Alisha*
Do you know where you can get foundation?

Sorry I don't know. I found the paper here on TSR
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4120523
Reply 8
Original post by Ace2233
I found that MS=MP+PS so MP=-1/2b and PS=1/4(-a+3b)=-1/4a+3/4b. When you add them them you get -1/2b+3/4b-1/4a which then gives you 1/4b-1/4a which can be factorised to (b-a)/4

I just realised the question asks you to use your answer to part b, if it didn't I would say you get full marks but because you haven't used your answer for b you probably won't.
Reply 9
Original post by Dowel
I just realised the question asks you to use your answer to part b, if it didn't I would say you get full marks but because you haven't used your answer for b you probably won't.

I see. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest