The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

How to maximize my chances to be admitted into an Oxbridge postgraduate course?

I am a first year Economics and Politics student at the university of Essex.

I really would like to get into either Oxford or Cambridge for a masters in Economics. As I have already failed to get into LSE for the undergraduate studies (LSE does not recognized the Algerian high school Baccalaureate) and I found the experience quite painful, I really would like to put all the chances on my side for a prospective postgraduate application.

I have completed my first year of study with grades ranging from 72 to 91 in politics' modules and marks between 85 and 100 for economics' modules, and I am expecting a yearly average that would lie between 87 and 91.

Anyway, the thing is, I would like to have something to offer besides the grades, and if I decide invest my time in an activity, I would like to be sure that it can increase my chances for a postgraduate application.

- Should I join a society? if yes, what kind or how many societies?

- I am not really the artistic type (I don't play any instrument or paint or whatever), but I am ready to force the art if it can help.

- I am not the athletic type at all, and cannot practice any kind of sport intensively for medical reasons.

- Do I need to have an award? If yes, is there any institution to turn to?

I am already a member of an organization that aims to promote literacy in Western Africa, can this be an advantage for a prospective application?

PS: I know it might be too early to think about the application, but I would rather be prepared.
And sorry if I didn't put the post in the right category, I am not very familiar with the website.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mariakrelifa50

All Oxford and Cambridge will be looking for are academic results, they don't select based on extra-curricular activities. You need grades that put you comfortably in the top 5-10% of your cohort. Depending on the exact course you choose, you will need a strong research proposal. You will need excellent references, so make sure your lecturers know you well and have a positive view of you academically.

You will also need to find funding, so consider where you will be able to get that from. There aren't many sources of funding for Masters degrees.

Finally, consider stopping living your life through prestige. Lots of people are very successful in life without having Oxford, Cambridge or LSE on their CV, and conversely, having a degree from any of those places does not guarantee success :wink:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by threeportdrift
All Oxford and Cambridge will be looking for are academic results, they don't select based on extra-curricular activities. You need grades that put you comfortably in the top 5-10% of your cohort. Depending on the exact course you choose, you will need a strong research proposal. You will need excellent references, so make sure your lecturers know you well and have a positive view of you academically.

You will also need to find funding, so consider where you will be able to get that from. There aren't many sources of funding for Masters degrees.

Finally, consider stopping living your life through prestige. Lots of people are very successful in life without having Oxford, Cambridge or LSE on their CV, and conversely, having a degree from any of those places does not guarantee success :wink:

Thanks for the tips, I will do my best with my lecturers.

I know it would not be the end of the world if I do not get there, and it might be harmful to over-invest one's self in such a superficial thing.
Original post by mariakrelifa50
- Should I join a society? if yes, what kind or how many societies?

- I am not really the artistic type (I don't play any instrument or paint or whatever), but I am ready to force the art if it can help.

- I am not the athletic type at all, and cannot practice any kind of sport intensively for medical reasons.

- Do I need to have an award? If yes, is there any institution to turn to?

No to all of these, Oxbridge don't care about anything other than your academic potential. If you're going to do extra things to boost your application make sure it's related to the course you want to apply for.
Original post by meap
Apparently there is a new postgraduate loan being introduced: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding

Which the OP doesn't look as if they will be eligible for (Algerian Bacc?)
Original post by CloakedSpartan
No to all of these, Oxbridge don't care about anything other than your academic potential. If you're going to do extra things to boost your application make sure it's related to the course you want to apply for.

Ohh thanks for the response. You're probably right, I'll just do my best in academics and maybe join the Economics' society just in case.
Original post by meap
Apparently there is a new postgraduate loan being introduced: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/postgraduate/finance-and-support/postgraduate-fees-and-funding

Algerian national, thus not eligible :/ but thanks :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending