The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who doesn't care about #JusticeForHarambe's death?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That Bearded Man
I think we need to know by what logic the animal was threatening. I find the "he's an animal, therefore unpredictable and dangerous" argument hollow and it that was the simple reason, that is totally unacceptable.

By all means, put the child's life first, but I'd like to see that they considered alternatives and were left with no choice but to. I doubt that is the case though.

Rather than blame the zookeepers per se, I think we have to look at what could help regulate and prevent 1) babies falling in and 2) shooting animals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Granted, I haven't seen the video footage neither was I there in present but apparently the gorilla was dragging the little boy around like a doll. Gorillas are considerably stronger than even the strongest human male and you know how delicate children are, even if the gorilla wasn't overtly aggressive or feeling threatened (unlikely with all the commotion and noise going on) it could have easily yanked the child's bones out of his sockets or otherwise done irreversible damage just in the process of dragging him around.

Had they opted for the mode of tranquilisation they would have risked the gorilla becoming enraged or panicking whilst the tranquiliser took effect, so shooting was really the safest thing to do, I believe

However, I agree that this incident is awful and that it needs to be prevented from happening again. I think there should be an independent enquiry on the safety of zoo enclosures and I think the parents should be charged and fined at least for putting their sons life in danger through negligence
Original post by Shumaya
Well if you decided to drag a child around like the gorilla did and were shot as a result, I'd have much less sympathy for you than I do for Harambe.

I absolutely agree with you there - we are intelligent beings with a conscience and have the ability to know if we cause any harm, intentional or unintentional.
Reply 42
same here
I wonder how many of these people who are outraged at a gorilla being killed to potentially save a four year old's life are also outraged at the meat industry which kills billions of animals each year to provide humans with chicken nuggets and cheese burgers.
Original post by Jebedee
Should have shot the kid to give it a painless and quick death. The Gorilla was endangered, theres a crap-ton of 4 year olds around. Just sayin'.

This. Followed by the parents.
Original post by The Roast
I'll go get the firing squad ready for you then :smile:

Oh right, so because I make a factually correct statement about how humans are not endangered and this gorilla species is, that means I automatically want to kill all humans!
I care about this story because zoos are places for conservation - you don't seem to even understand that killing one member of an endangered population can have bad consequences on our biodiversity, by decreasing the size of the gene pool and promoting inbreeding. But no, of course, anyone that has a viewpoint that is different to yours only cares because it is a fluffy and cute animal.
If you read carefully, I'm not trying to say that there were an abundance of options for the zoo in this situation, but I am saying that the parents should get the bulk of the blame for indirectly contributing to his death.
(edited 7 years ago)
its amazing how many animal experts will appear on twitter when they hear the call for social justice
A four year old child's life is far more important than that of a gorilla. It was the right decision.
Original post by Trapz99
A four year old child's life is far more important than that of a gorilla.

Why?
Some really socially inept ****ers on this site man. Woah.

The parents of the child shoulder most of the blame, the zoo shouldering the rest.
Of course a 4 year old child's life is worth more than a gorilla. It was unfortunate that the gorilla had to be shot, but it is what it is.
Original post by Asuna Yuuki
Why?

I hope you are not being serious.
Original post by Trapz99
I hope you are not being serious.

I genuinely want to hear why. Why should human life be valued over that of other animals'?
I genuinely want to hear why. Why should human life be valued over that of other animals'?

Humans were created in the image of God but animals were not. Humans are special and have souls while animals do not.

"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." - Genesis 1:26
(edited 7 years ago)
Why didn't the zoo keepers use an instant tranquilizer dart instead? It would have been a more appropriate way to deal with the situation
Original post by Trapz99
Humans were created in the image of God but animals were not. Humans are special and have souls while animals do not.

Ah, the spiritual argument. Animals are worthless. I see.

I won't try and relay the truth that we are fundamentally no different to any other mammal because you won't see it.

:cute:
Original post by ishaniss
Why didn't the zoo keepers use an instant tranquilizer dart instead? It would have been a more appropriate way to deal with the situation

They addressed this ~ the tranq can take a few minutes to take effect, and its impact may have enraged it.
Ah, the spiritual argument. Animals are worthless. I see.

I won't try and relay the truth that we are fundamentally no different to any other mammal because you won't see it.

:cute:

You can believe what you want. Animals are not worthless but it is made clear that we, humans, are dominant and that God has given us animals as a resource.

Feel free to disagree but I'm going to end it here.
Original post by Trapz99
You can believe what you want. Animals are not worthless but it is made clear that we, humans, are dominant and that God has given us animals as a resource.

If you and your little book say so :cute:
Original post by ishaniss
Hang on, God put the animals into the world for a reason?

Well, my belief is that animals were created by God for us to rule over and use as a resource. They are different from humans in the sense that they were not created in the image of God.
If you and your little book say so :cute:

I respectfully disagree with your beliefs. Have a good day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending