The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who doesn't care about #JusticeForHarambe's death?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asuna Yuuki
They addressed this ~ the tranq can take a few minutes to take effect, and its impact may have enraged it.

fair enough
Parents are the one responsible.

And all I can say is congrats to the zoo. They made gorillas even more of an endangered species just for the stupidity of some parents. From the footage I saw, the gorilla was actually being pretty gentle with the kid. If it wanted to do something, he would've done it straight away. But he was being much more caring than the parents were.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

And all I can say is congrats to the zoo. They made gorillas even more of an endangered species just for the stupidity of some parents. From the footage I saw, the gorilla was actually being pretty gentle with the kid. If it wanted to do something, he would've done it straight away. But he was being much more caring than the parents were.

ikr? Whoever made the judgement call was clearly not the one who should've done so.
ikr? Whoever made the judgement call was clearly not the one who should've done so.

Why the hell didn't they tranquillise the gorilla? It's honestly so upsetting reading about it because gorillas can be very gentle with kids. If the kid went to hospital with non life threatening injuries then obviously the gorilla didn't do harm.
Why the hell didn't they tranquillise the gorilla? It's honestly so upsetting reading about it because gorillas can be very gentle with kids. If the kid went to hospital with non life threatening injuries then obviously the gorilla didn't do harm.

It's a sad sad story :emo:
The fact that child got into the enclosure in the first place seems to suggest the blame should be with the zoo. I'm hardly a massive fan of health and safety but surely there needs to be something done in this case for the welfare of people AND the animals?

According to what I read,they said the gorilla was in a stressful situation. This was a MALE gorilla,so it is really unpredictable what could have happened.
Humans have a habit of misinterpreting animal behaviour ,so perhaps what you think is gentle behaviour could actually be something else.
Firing a dart at the animal would not have made it sleep instantly and would have agitated it,so the only way was for them to shoot it.
I guess its better safe than sorry.I know you are probably emotional about it but don`t you guys think the experts probably know more about what to do in this situation than you ?
Why the sly dig at the parents I am too puzzled at how a kid fell into the enclosure.
I feel the same; yes its sad a rare animal was killed, but surely there must have been some fault in the enclosure that allowed a child to enter? In that case, it must be the zoos responsibility. Young children can be quick, and especially in busy/noisy environments they can disappear in seconds. It can only take moments for a child to end up in that kind of situation, especially as kids that age don't have a good awareness of danger or consequence, so I don't think the blame can be fully placed on the parents. That's why enclosures should be built to avoid this kind of thing happening. As sad as it is, if that was my child down there I would've done exactly the same.
If that 4 year old was someone I knew, I would want the Gorilla shot too. I love to see animals treated better but when someone I know and a puppy is in danger, I know who I'm saving first.

Hopefully something as dumb as this will happen again.
Original post by BasingstokeBoy

It can only take moments for a child to end up in that kind of situation, especially as kids that age don't have a good awareness of danger or consequence, so I don't think the blame can be fully placed on the parents. That's why enclosures should be built to avoid this kind of thing happening.

Pretty much agree with this, albeit that said there are quite a few zoos which house grazing animals behind wooden fences which a child could crawl/climb over, so you'd need a lot of changes.

But certainly for animals which are clearly deemed to be of significant danger, you'd think the walls of the enclosure would make access pretty much impossible from wherever the public can view, especially for a young child.

A shame a keeper couldn't try and distract the animal with some different enrichment but obviously every second counts, with an animal that strong even if it's being genuinely curious and doesn't mean aggression, if it decides to hold the child by it's limbs and pull them a bit to see if they're stretchy...they've just dislocated everything. Was the right course of action in the end, too bad you don't get any sort of anesthetics which can act practically instantaneously from injection into muscle.
Reply 70
A few points:

- Children can escape the supervision of their parents very easily. The mother did absolutely nothing wrong in this instance and it was an accident.

- It shouldn't have been possible for a child to climb into a zoo enclosure with apparent ease. Lots of children visit zoos, you'd reasonably expect them to be pretty safe environments where children can run around.

- Shooting the gorilla in the circumstances was beyond any shadow of a doubt the right thing to do. I appreciate the gorilla wasn't behaving aggressively, but it is a wild and potentially dangerous animal and they are inherently unpredictable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wish morons would stop whinging "why didn't they just shoot him with a tranquilizer". Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that, that would be the most dangerous action they could have taken.
Original post by the bear
if it was a crocodile or a snake or a tarantuler there would be less emotion i guess ?

:dontknow:

This is a good point
Original post by L i b
A few points:

- Children can escape the supervision of their parents very easily. The mother did absolutely nothing wrong in this instance and it was an accident.

That's bs, when you're out in a busy place with your children you make sure you know where they are.

Realistically they had no choice, a 400lb animal was dragging a child around and could have very easily killed him at any moment. I did read yesterday that the boy's parents might be prosecuted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The shooting of Harambe really upset me.There was a similar incident 30yrs ago,but both the ape and boy was saved.I think they should have handled this situation better .Harambe was protecting the boy and he was holding his hand before he got shot.I don't think the gorilla harmed the boy.:frown::ashamed2:
God bless Harambe.I hope an incident like this NEVER happens again.
Reply 75
Wow, the armchair experts and misanthropic morons are out in force over this one.

"Should have just tranqed him"

"He wasn't going to hurt the kid"

Seriously? You'd be willing to take those risks with a 4 year child and 400lb, male gorilla? Just watch the video, the kid was being dragged around like a ragdoll at one point, he could have easily been killed or severely injured just from hitting his head on something, regardless of whether the gorilla intended it or not. Sorry, but a child's life is worth more than a gorilla's, and killing it really was the only sure way of getting the kid out of there unharmed.
Original post by The Roast
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36410841

You might know that a 400lb (180kg) gorilla was shot dead at a Cincinnati zoo the other day after a 4-year old boy fell down into the enclosure.

I completely agree. Gorillas have been known to be violent on occasion, you simply cannot take the chance.

As much as I mourn the death of a fellow primate, human life must always come before other species.
Original post by Wōden

Seriously? You'd be willing to take those risks with a 4 year child and 400lb, male gorilla? Just watch the video, the kid was being dragged around like a ragdoll at one point, he could have easily been killed or severely injured just from hitting his head on something, regardless of whether the gorilla intended it or not.

Spot on, dude. Even without intending it the gorilla could harm the child, as you say he was dragging him around like a ragdoll, he could have accidentally kept the child's head under water.

You simply cannot take the chance, the 4 year old human's life must come first. Jane Goodall, maybe the premiere world expert on gorillas who has lived with them for years during studies and is very sympathetic to them, agreed with the decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't believe some people are claiming the parents aren't in the wrong by mentioning that children sometimes escape supervision. And yes, look what happens when they do! If your child is running around next to a bloody Gorilla enclosure that he/she could easily get into, I'd think it'd require only a minimal amount of common sense to see that they need extra special supervision in that area. It's kind of like if you are next to a really busy road, you can't say it's not the parents fault for letting them run into oncoming traffic just because "they sometimes escape supervision".

I do agree that the Gorilla wasn't protecting him, but he shouldn't have been in there in the first place! The gorilla was only doing what it knows, and no one will ever really know his intentions. He might have thought that was acceptable for an infant of his species but wouldn't know any better with a human one.

Another thing I'm wondering, I've only seen the video of the enclosure but it looks like there's a massive cliff overlooking it, did the kid actually fall down that or was there another way in? If so, more to back up my first point...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
Why should human life be valued over that of other animals'?

I'm not even going to dignify that autistic nonsense with an answer. But I wonder how true you would hold to those principles if it was your child or a loved one in the gorilla enclosure?

Quick Reply

Latest