The Student Room Group

Labelling and stereotypes (Sociology)

Can someone please explain the stereotypes>labelling>altered self concept>self fulfilled prophecy process to me in terms of ethnic differences in educational achievement.
Basically the idea is that teachers sometimes stereotype young black youths as unintelligent and that they don't try hard, and perhaps that they are likely to join a gang or whatever. And then when these kids feel that the teachers don't believe they can do well, mixed with them themselves not feeling smart enough, leads to them not trying hard because they don't think education and all that is for them, which then leads to them getting lower grades and ethnic differences in achievement.

This could also go the other way though and teachers sometimes stereotype asian students as being smarter and give them extra attention which makes them work harder and feel like they will achieve good grades which leads to them doing better.

In both of these cases its important to take into account things like ethnocentric curriculum, where in a lot of schools the curriculum is based around white history and culture, which is less engaging and relevant to different ethnicities. Also some school do not have a racially diverse staff so there are lack of role models for ethnic minorities. And the internal external thing too, where Asian parents might push their children harder and expect more, leading them work harder and get better grades.

I hope this helped and sorry for rambling on and kinda getting off point, good luck with everything! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by WaitCourtneyWho
Basically the idea is that teachers sometimes stereotype young black youths as unintelligent and that they don't try hard, and perhaps that they are likely to join a gang or whatever. And then when these kids feel that the teachers don't believe they can do well, mixed with them themselves not feeling smart enough, leads to them not trying hard because they don't think education and all that is for them, which then leads to them getting lower grades and ethnic differences in achievement.

This could also go the other way though and teachers sometimes stereotype asian students as being smarter and give them extra attention which makes them work harder and feel like they will achieve good grades which leads to them doing better.

In both of these cases its important to take into account things like ethnocentric curriculum, where in a lot of schools the curriculum is based around white history and culture, which is less engaging and relevant to different ethnicities. Also some school do not have a racially diverse staff so there are lack of role models for ethnic minorities. And the internal external thing too, where Asian parents might push their children harder and expect more, leading them work harder and get better grades.

I hope this helped and sorry for rambling on and kinda getting off point, good luck with everything! :smile:

Thank you so much, this has helped my understanding a lot and will help me answer part of my 30 mark question!! You don't have to be sorry for rambling on as it helps more with my understanding haha :smile:
Original post by katieanna99
Thank you so much, this has helped my understanding a lot and will help me answer part of my 30 mark question!! You don't have to be sorry for rambling on as it helps more with my understanding haha :smile:

Not a problem, I'm glad I could help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending