The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Geography 2016

As there's currently no page already, thought I'd kick start it!

I'll be posting revision notes and sources for:
-Development & Inequality,
-Population & Resources,
-Earth Hazards (flooding, tectonics and mass movements).

-Geographical Skills - notes will be very much based on North Wales and the investigation regarded Sand Dune succession at Morfa Harlech.

Global Issues paper - 9th June - 2h30mins
Geographical Skills - 16th June - 1h30mins

[Issues] Population and Resources:-Over population / Under population.
-Unsustainable rates of natural increase / youthful and ageing population.
-Resource depletion.-Unsustainable environmental consequences of resource extraction.
-Inefficient distribution and unfairness of resource availability leading to poverty or excessive wealth.

[Issues] Development and inequalities:-Youthful population - high number of young dependents.
-The growing gap between the beneficiaries of globalisation and the countries in the global development periphery, Sub-Saharan Africa.
-Internal inequalities in living standards within a region or a country.
-Development gap leading to inequality within quality of life.
-Difficulties in creating economic development - influence on social inequalities.
Reply 1
Population and Resources·Case studies

Overconsumption can be managed through political influences such as the ‘Common Fisheries Policy’ which restricts the total allowable catch. This helps to balance the supply and the demand of the resource.

Technological advancements such as desalination plants in China removes salts and minerals from saline water and is used to provide more water for crops.

Increased mining depth from water drainage systems - offshore drilling into deeper water + 3D drilling mainly in the North Sea.

Fracking is the process of drilling down into the earth before a high-pressure water mixture is directed at the rock to release the gas inside.

Reallocation of resources, for example in China,‘South-North project’ which involves transferring water from the Yangtze to the northern rivers as it’s significantly drier.

Anti-Natalist policies like ‘China’s One Child policy’. Reduces the demand for resources as the population decreases.

Education in regards to family planning, birth control, contraceptives, etc

Education regarding conservation and efficiency,for example use of recycling.

Technological advancements to minimise resource consumption for example the toilet flush, new designs of the toilet Dual Toilet Flush offers a low volume and high volume flush.

Genetic Modification of crops a gene from xerophytic plants is inserted to crop plants to allow them to grow in drought conditions, such as in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Green Revolution in India using high yielding crops production of wheat and maize tripled.

Uranium development - used to be used in glass and ceramic industries until its fissile products were discovered, it’s now a valuable resource in regards to Nuclear Power. Canada and Australia produce 60% of the world’s supply.

Smelting minerals - bronze (alloy of tin and copper) was replaced by iron and then replaced by bauxite through smelting by electrolysis- through technological advances it has become a valuable resource, globally.
Reply 2
Thanks for making this thread, saving my life. Do you have predictions for the 30 mark essays?
Can someone please give me advice on how to write 12 mark answer for GCSE geog!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Adamp123
Thanks for making this thread, saving my life. Do you have predictions for the 30 mark essays?

Not yet, I was planning on going through all the essay questions tomorrow and making predictions.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Not yet, I was planning on going through all the essay questions tomorrow and making predictions.

Great thread its hard finding much help for the OCR geography course, have you made any predictions yet? Cheers
How are we all feeling for the exam on Thursday? I feel like I have good case study knowledge, but I'm just hoping a horrible essay doesn't come up :frown:
Reply 7
Does anyone have a copy of last years exam with all the questions? Much appreciated
Reply 8
What did everyone think of the exam and also what hazard did people use for the climatic hazard 10 marker?
Reply 9
I thought the paper was ok. Not looking forward to Geo Skills, just starting revision for it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicec11
What did everyone think of the exam and also what hazard did people use for the climatic hazard 10 marker?

I think the questions were good this is because I only revised mass movement strongly lol so I done that essay. Climatic hazard 10 mark was open to any man made hazards like smog, acid rain, global dimming, global warming etc. I put smog
What were your management strategies?
It's a shame this thread died down. I'm sitting the A2 exams this academic year, I don't suppose anyone have any useful revision notes for;
Earth Hazards
Ecosystems
Environments under threat
Globalisation
Population and resources
Geographical skills
And any useful tips on 10 and 30 markers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending