The Student Room Group

Should there be a limit on how many refugees we let in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ABeingOnEarth
Did the UK have limits when Jewish refugees wanted to settle in the UK? No, so its exactly the same for Muslim refugees.

The Jews weren't looking for thousands of pounds worth of benefits every month, nor were they barefoot and pregnant coming with no skills and their 5 children. A lot of the Jewish refugees were incredibly successful and were contributing something to society. They weren't raping people left, right and centre either.
Original post by Hibzish
why are people who are fleeing poverty not considered refugees? Are u only a refugee if ur country is in a civil war?

Because the reason people are defined as regugees is if they are fleeing persecution and it is unsafe to return to their home country.

Poverty doesnt count. there are many poor countries in the world , it doesnt give them a right to claim asylum.
Original post by #JOSH45#
The Jews weren't looking for thousands of pounds worth of benefits every month, nor were they barefoot and pregnant coming with no skills and their 5 children. A lot of the Jewish refugees were incredibly successful and were contributing something to society. They weren't raping people left, right and centre either.

There's so much ignorance in this comment so I won't bother arguing with you.

Yeah take the noble approach, because you know I'm correct 😄
Original post by The Roast
The difference is that those Jews were fleeing real persecution. Most of the middle-eastern and north African men entering the UK are not "refugees" - they're opportunists more than anything else.

Jews also aren't Muslims. As a culture and a society, Jews tend to be better and less harmful.

Note: Unless you're talking Palestine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Considering we have a limit of 4,000 a year for the enxt five years, then there isnt mych chance of getting up to 1,2, or 5 million.

We've already taken in 1 million.
Original post by MrControversial
We've already taken in 1 million.

Care to back that claim up?
Original post by 999tigger
Care to back that claim up?

We were talking about Muslims at that point and over the course of 10 years 1 million is the number we have taken in.

In terms of economic refugees we've taken in multi-millions.
Dont think anyone is in favour of unlimited migration. But those with a legitimate claim and are fleeing the civil conflicts should be allowed. That's international law, the same laws that protect you are protecting them and its a reminder that we are all equal.

Economic migrants are not allowed anymore, the EU have gotten very strict on it.
Reply 69
Original post by lolatmaths
Dont think anyone is in favour of unlimited migration. But those with a legitimate claim and are fleeing the civil conflicts should be allowed. That's international law, the same laws that protect you are protecting them and its a reminder that we are all equal.

Economic migrants are not allowed anymore, the EU have gotten very strict on it.

Strange how we've all become yanks now, which might explain why we've taken on this anti-straight white christian male patriarchy stuff with such gay abandon. We're nothing but barely thinking automatons following the script.
Original post by MrControversial
We were talking about Muslims at that point and over the course of 10 years 1 million is the number we have taken in.

In terms of economic refugees we've taken in multi-millions.

No we were talking about refugees, the hint is in the thread title. Just link us up.
You claim a million, you havent backed it up.
How many refugees are there in the UK?Most recent UNHCR figures show that at mid-2015 there were 117,234 refugees, 37,829 pending asylum cases and 16 stateless persons in the UK.
http://www.unhcr.org.uk/about-us/the-uk-and-asylum.html
Original post by ohgeez
Strange how we've all become yanks now, which might explain why we've taken on this anti-straight white christian male patriarchy stuff with such gay abandon. We're nothing but barely thinking automatons following the script.

Are you bloody high? tf you on about? What script?
Reply 72
Are you bloody high? tf you on about? What script?

I'm ****ing blazed right now, bro.
Original post by ohgeez
I'm ****ing blazed right now, bro.

Damn no way how you feeling?
Reply 74
Crystal Meth is one hell of a drug is all I can say.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Honestly I can't rep this enough. Being against uncontrolled immigration makes you racist apparently.

How on earth is that racist? :lol:
Original post by Grand High Witch
And by doing that you tar the large proportion of people with sensible, non-racist views about restricting immigration as 'racists'.

Also, racists have not hijacked the debate. They may have attempted to, but the debate in Britain is largely being shaped on economic and social terms rather than wishing to limit immigration based on the race of those entering.

Especially when you consider that the vast majority of the time it's the social justice warriors who inject race into the debate. As they do in debates about most things to be honest. Complete crap stirrers and never helpful.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I wonder what those regulations are that he opposes. Let's hazard a wild guess. Protection for working people. Safety regulations in factories. Minimum wages. Pension entitlements. All things that benefit ordinary people.

Taking this stuff to the level I'm guessing you'd want is precisely why France's unemployment rate is so high. Not that it matters, since the difference between France's dumb employment laws and those of ours and Germany etc shows that actually individual countries do have the freedom to set them how they like for the most part.

I'm personally very inclined to vote to remain for a number of reasons but most business owners I know (SMEs obviously lol) are voting to leave because they say they get strangled by red tape. It often takes established businesses to have the resource (in staffing etc as well as money) to navigate it all. Consequently their hands are tied with regards to hiring people (people don't realise how expensive it is to hire people by the way. It's not just their salaries!) so it's both employers and employees affected here.

This is the thinking behind it anyway, not necessarily my own views. The point I'm making is you mustn't be so quick to dismiss people who are wanting to leave the EU as ignorant idiots. The way some people (on both sides of the EU debate) behave is quite disgusting to be honest. They're making out like there aren't legitimate reasons for people on the other side to have their view. It's retarded and nobody with an education has an excuse to be that way. They should know better.

Apologies to all for going down this ally as it's a refugee-based thread. To keep it relevant to the thread, I'll say that if one can guarantee that all the migrants are genuinely refugees I'd be inclined to have a more open-door policy. However all the stats show that the majority aren't Syrian at all (less than 40% from the stats coming out of Germany). Loads of Albanians, Pakistanis and others are mixed in. Look at this boat in the news today/yesterday sinking off Dover recently for example. All Albanians. There are loads of gang fights between Albanians and Afghans/Pakistanis in German migrant centres all the time. They can all do one since they're making it worse for genuine refugees since people are less inclined to take them in. Bunch of dropkicks escaping debts/families back in Tirana and Lahore ruining it for the needy.

I'd also prefer to take refugees directly from the camps as this negates the above issue of identifying the genuine cases as well as stopping the human traffickers who are quite frankly a cancer. It also ensures that women and children are taken care of there since at the moment it's 80% + blokes. Probably even more than that since loads of these men pretend to be children for the advantages this brings. I'd like to take in the few women and children from the camps and migrant centres as refugees to grant them asylum from the constant rape and sex slavery and occurs in the camps constantly anyway. Also I'd like to accept Christians and other minority groups since they get victimised worse than anybody else by far. Ironically often by the other migrants as well as in Syria since the population aren't oppressed into tolerating them anymore.

Interestingly Nigel Farage of all people made this point on Question Time at the start of the crisis before latching onto the cause of migrants was the in thing for social justice warriors. Very much dislike the man but he's undeniably correct in this instance. These groups must be at the front of the queue for asylum as they're the most in need of it. But it begs the question discussed above - how do we know who is genuine? I hate to say it but we can't.

Original post by Bob's Your Uncle
No it won't. Saudi Arabia aren't taking any refugees are they racist?

Saudi Arabia are one of the most racist countries in the world lol.

Original post by sr90
How on earth is that racist? :lol:

Ask the SJWs on here. Or Green Party/Corynite types. Some of them genuinely believe that as incredible as that sounds.

Dont think anyone is in favour of unlimited migration.

You'd be surprised!

Translation: I have no idea what I'm talking about and just got found out. Seriously, comparing this lot to the Jews escaping the Holocaust? What's wrong with you?

Original post by markova21
The ones stopped in their boat near Dover [I think it was Dover] were Albanians. Since when was Albania a country gripped by war or famine? They're just taking the piss. Oh and UKBA took them all in to process their asylum claims. How long is that going to take and how much money is the whole thing going to cost? To UK taxpayers. Just makes me so bloody angry. By all means help those fleeing conflict. But we can't take in half the world simply because they want to have a nice life in Blighty.

Exactly. They can do one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
Saudi Arabia are one of the most racist countries in the world lol.

I know, but they can't be racist to Syrians, because they are Arabs
Original post by KimKallstrom

You'd be surprised!

Apart from SJWs (tiny minority), no one is in favour of unlimited immigration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending