The Student Room Group

Book suggestions?

Heey!
So, for Year 13 English, we have to choose 2 texts of our choice to study (within reason, non-biographical would be better) independently. I was thinking something like Bill Bryson travel writing but open to any suggestions. Two books are needed, one post 2000 and one pre 2000, with a similar theme/idea running through them but also lots of differences to show how the style has progressed. So yes, if you have any ideas please let me know!
A.
Have you considered fictional works - such as Thomas Harris' Silence of the Lambs (1988) - it's a brilliant series (including Red Dragon, Hannibal and Hannibal Rising). If so, I would recommend Silence of the Lambs and then perhaps a James Patterson novel as they've become rather popular in recent years. ^-^
I studied the War of the Worlds (https://wordery.com/the-war-of-the-worlds-h-g-wells-9780141441030) for mine! (1898) I didn't have to compare anything for my exam but it'll be easy to find a dystopian apocalyptic novel!
I recently read the Hannibal series though and loved it so I also agree with SilverActor2033! I also enjoyed the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, although that's more YA but I'm sure his more adult novels are just as good, going by the books I've read.
Reply 3
Travel writing could be interesting, like comparing Bryson (as you said) with something like Sterne's A Sentimental Journey or Johnson's Journey to Western Isles of Scotland ( or basically any old travel literature haha.)

Off the top of my head, there's the recent Hogarth Shakespeare series - which are modern retellings/reinterpretations of Shakespeare plays - so the comparison there could be interesting. There was also a novel released recently called "Gorsky" which was long listed for the Bailey's Prize for Fiction and is a retelling of Fitzgerald's Gatsby.

Comparison of Modernism and Postmodernism could be another choice I suppose, and fits more with the requirement of showing the progression of the genre. Or even a comparison of a sole author's work who has written both in this century and last - such as Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami or Anne Tyler.

Detective fiction perhaps? Sherlock vs Cormoran Strike?

Sci-Fi (as suggested above) - Plenty of old time-y dystopian and apocalyptic fiction to compare to nowadays.

Fairy tale retellings could pose another interesting theme.

Just make sure you enjoy whatever books you end up choosing and that you find the theme interesting :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blamethenargles
I studied the War of the Worlds (https://wordery.com/the-war-of-the-worlds-h-g-wells-9780141441030) for mine! (1898) I didn't have to compare anything for my exam but it'll be easy to find a dystopian apocalyptic novel!
I recently read the Hannibal series though and loved it so I also agree with SilverActor2033! I also enjoyed the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, although that's more YA but I'm sure his more adult novels are just as good, going by the books I've read.

I agree, dystopia is a good theme. I'd suggest Brave New World, and The Bees, they have very similar themes but the outlook is different... Plus, they're both brilliant books to read!:biggrin:
Original post by Vicky628
I agree, dystopia is a good theme. I'd suggest Brave New World, and The Bees, they have very similar themes but the outlook is different... Plus, they're both brilliant books to read!:biggrin:

Ooooh I read Brave New World last year and I second that! It's a great book!
Very intrigued by The Bees though...
Ooooh I read Brave New World last year and I second that! It's a great book!
Very intrigued by The Bees though...

I'd definitely recommend! Normally, I'm not amazed by modern dystopias, but the bright yellow cover made me buy it, and I don't regret it!

I also love maximum ride!
Original post by Vicky628
I'd definitely recommend! Normally, I'm not amazed by modern dystopias, but the bright yellow cover made me buy it, and I don't regret it!

I also love maximum ride!

I've added it to my wishlist, the blurb looks good!
More modern dystopian novels are definitely less original these days, i think that's why I still love Maximum Ride! They all seem to have the same storyline under a different setting >.>
I've added it to my wishlist, the blurb looks good!
More modern dystopian novels are definitely less original these days, i think that's why I still love Maximum Ride! They all seem to have the same storyline under a different setting >.>

Agreed! Plus, they just seem to be, oh I have an idea that'd be cool, rather than social commentary... I like the books that make you think:h:

Quick Reply

Latest