The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Sad to see Wednesday lose in the end, they had a good start but soon as Hull took over after half hour there was only one team going to win it.
08/09 Newcastle went down (with Middlesbrough), Burnley came up
09/10 Newcastle came up, Hull and Burnley went down

Strange how things work out sometimes.
Also sad to see Wednesday lose, but pleased for Hull and Bruce as well. Just hope they make a better go of it this time. I think the club could have imploded had they not made it up today. Likely Bruce would have left, as well as a mass exodus of players.

I'm sure people will be concerned that 2 of the 3 have bounced straight back though, which is what a lot of League clubs voiced concerns about when the new parachute payments were put in place with the last PL TV deal. Newcastle and Norwich are looking very well placed for next season too at present. It would be a shame if 2/3 was to become a regular thing in the future. Clubs are crashing out the PL with sacks full of money these days.
Original post by barnetlad
Four disappointed people then.

At least Burton will be spared a visit to the 2017 City of Culture. I visited Hull once and it was in desperate need of investment.

It was disappointing but Hull were the better side. They created numerous chances and were more dangerous. Westwood had to make a few excellent saves to keep them in the game.
I didn't mind which team went up but I thought Sheffield were really poor today didn't give a good account of themselves.
Barnsley win 3-1 against Millwall at Wembley to secure play-off promotion back to the Championship.

A team dead last at Xmas comes away with a JPT and play-off trophy.
What a truly remarkable story.

Somewhat overshadowed by Leicester though you might think :tongue:
Reports emerging that two Barnsley fans were stabbed before kick off by Millwall fans.

The video of them charging at the Barnsley fans at full time is already doing the rounds, if this turns outto be true then Millwall should face expulsion from the Football League.
Original post by SentryE3D
Reports emerging that two Barnsley fans were stabbed before kick off by Millwall fans.

The video of them charging at the Barnsley fans at full time is already doing the rounds, if this turns outto be true then Millwall should face expulsion from the Football League.

They are legitimately the worst fans I've ever seen.
It's just a game lads...
More videos doing the rounds on Twitter, as well as a child being taken to hospital after being struck by a bottle thrown by Millwall fans.
GG Hull. Such a gutless performance by us I have to say and it was painful viewing. Having said that credit to Hull for being the better team and a having a plan. Considering I marked us down to finish around 10th i'm not too distraught (I say that now) about losing out. Feel bad for 40,000+ fans who travelled down more than anything. I've heard a lot of positive (or delirious) views about how we will build on our success and push even stronger next year - but tbh next years league looks stronger than this year so I don't think we will get promotion, maybe not even the playoffs.

Finally apologies to the world for allowing Hull back in the prem :lol:
Brilliant from Barnsley today but surely Millwall will be in hot water for their fans behaviour today.
Most, if not all, fan bases have their moments of shame, but it's the predictability of Millwall that puts them out in front on their own level of scummyness.

It was only a couple of years ago they made national news for fighting each other in the FA Cup semi final.
Tfw Barnsley come away from this season with the most silverware in the football league...
Millwall fans are known for such violence, it hardly surprises me that they always do it at a place that's not theirs
Original post by SentryE3D

That is why Millwall are hated
Millwall fans. The biggest ***** around.
AFC Wimbledon are promoted! Now they have to host MK Dons next season :eek:
Akinfenwa puts away the penalty with, what looks like his last touch for Wimbledon. Wimbledon have progressed so quickly through the football league...
I hope Hull get another manager.

They are the definition of a tin pot club, but supposing they were to get Moyes and got the usual £20-25m investment while keeping the main key players they could very feasibly get top ten. Their starting line-up is better than a handful of Prem sides.

(New Keeper or Jakupovic)
Odubajo Davies Dawson Robertson
New winger Huddlestone Livermore Clucas
Diame
Hernandez

That side is pretty damn good, especially if they'll be able to have Elmohamody, Snodgrass, Maguire and Bruce Jr on the bench
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
AFC Wimbledon are promoted! Now they have to host MK Dons next season :eek:
thatl be fun :O crazy to think .....

also when will plymouth/portsmouth get promoted already :O

Original post by Icecream1
Akinfenwa puts away the penalty with, what looks like his last touch for Wimbledon. Wimbledon have progressed so quickly through the football league...
really why?!

Original post by Diego Costa
I hope Hull get another manager.

They are the definition of a tin pot club, but supposing they were to get Moyes and got the usual £20-25m investment while keeping the main key players they could very feasibly get top ten. Their starting line-up is better than a handful of Prem sides.

(New Keeper or Jakupovic)
Odubajo Davies Dawson Robertson
New winger Huddlestone Livermore Clucas
Diame
Hernandez

That side is pretty damn good
brucey aint bad...

Quick Reply

Latest