The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
brucey aint bad...

He is really limited. With a squad like that he should be getting 90+ points in the Champs. There was also no excuse for him getting relegated last season either.
Original post by Diego Costa
He is really limited. With a squad like that he should be getting 90+ points in the Champs. There was also no excuse for him getting relegated last season either.
hes not that bad....get moyes to sign on the line first.

wouldnt say hes amazing himself.
hes not that bad....get moyes to sign on the line first.

wouldnt say hes amazing himself.

He is poor. As I mentioned, spending £50m across two seasons (13/14 & 14/15) and getting relegated after the second is pretty poor. Going up this year was the bare minimum and frankly Hull should have walked the league, especially if you look at the way Brighton managed to get 89 points with a much inferior squad and really unremarkable manager.

I don't see why Moyes would turn Hull down. Assuming Everton don't want him (I doubt they will), his next best bet is the Championship.
(edited 7 years ago)
He is poor. As I mentioned, spending £50m across two seasons (13/14 & 14/15) and getting relegated after the second is pretty poor. Going up this year was the bare minimum and frankly Hull should have walked the league, especially if you look at the way Brighton managed to get 89 points with a much inferior squad and really unremarkable manager.

I don't see why Moyes would turn Hull down. Assuming Everton don't want him (I doubt they will), his next best bet is the Championship.
Brighton has a decent manager.
Brighton has a decent manager.

He's a good Championship manager. Not much more. He's never got top 10 in the PL for instance.
He's a good Championship manager. Not much more. He's never got top 10 in the PL for instance.
hmmm youre ambitious bud but I see your point.
hmmm youre ambitious bud but I see your point.

The larger point is that the only place he's made any waves is in the Championship. The relegation of Norwich despite the money he spent isn't kind to his reputation.
The larger point is that the only place he's made any waves is in the Championship. The relegation of Norwich despite the money he spent isn't kind to his reputation.
you're right.

Wolves atm would kill for a Brucey or Hughton...Hull are somehow a different ball game.

He's never really had the opportunity to get top 10 in the PL though really has he. Had he been given the full season at Newcastle then he may well have managed it.

The way I see it he's had one bad spell in management ever, when he took Norwich down. Every other season could be called a success.
Original post by scriggy
He's never really had the opportunity to get top 10 in the PL though really has he. Had he been given the full season at Newcastle then he may well have managed it.

13/14 at Norwich he spent £25m on deadwood after finishing just outside the top half. Maybe he could have got Newcastle top 10, but they weren't there when he got the sack. I also don't think they would have got there as Carroll left around the same time Hughton was sacked.

The way I see it he's had one bad spell in management ever, when he took Norwich down. Every other season could be called a success.

He did ok for four months at Newcastle, I'll give him that.

He also did well in his first season at Norwich and that's his only "good" full season in the Prem which isn't really enough given the failure the following season.

That's like 40% of his PL career being bad. It's not enough for me to call him a good PL manager unless he does well at another club.
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope Hull get another manager.

They are the definition of a tin pot club, but supposing they were to get Moyes and got the usual £20-25m investment while keeping the main key players they could very feasibly get top ten. Their starting line-up is better than a handful of Prem sides.

(New Keeper or Jakupovic)
Odubajo Davies Dawson Robertson
New winger Huddlestone Livermore Clucas
Diame
Hernandez

That side is pretty damn good, especially if they'll be able to have Elmohamody, Snodgrass, Maguire and Bruce Jr on the bench

You do realise that's basically the side that got relegated last year right?

Top ten you've got City United Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea Spurs West Ham Southampton and Leicester as certs which leaves 1 spot. You honestly think that lot are better than Stoke, Everton, Palace or Swansea? Nah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
You do realise that's basically the side that got relegated last year right?

I'm aware that's the same side that got relegated last season, but as I mentioned earlier that was down to Bruce's failings than the quality of the side itself.

Hernandez for example who was a big part of their side only started playing well this season. If Diame stays fit too I reckon they can get goals which they struggled with when they were relegated.

Top ten you've got City United Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea Spurs West Ham Southampton and Leicester as certs which leaves 1 spot. You honestly think that lot are better than Stoke, Everton, Palace or Swansea? Nah.

I'd say that squad is on about the same level as Swansea or Palace. Assuming one of the sides in the first list underachieves and they get Moyes in I do think it's feasible they get 50 or so points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Steve Evans departs Leeds, and is already being linked with the job at Hibernian once Stubbs is confirmed Rotherham manager.
With RDM seemingly the next Villa manager, we're likely to see 2 champions league winning managers in the championship next season.

There's also 31 championship players taking part in the European championship, 3 less than La Liga.
Coyle in at Blackburn, monk at Leeds. Erm...
Original post by Mackay
Steve Evans departs Leeds, and is already being linked with the job at Hibernian once Stubbs is confirmed Rotherham manager.

Heard Leeds are interested in our Phil Parkinson
Original post by redleader1
Heard Leeds are interested in our Phil Parkinson

Garry Monk.
Super Garry Monk! Unfortunately with Cellino as owner he'll be back at Uplands Diner by November!
Coyle loves Lancashire, doesn't he?

Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn.

Where next? Preston or Wigan?
Original post by Mackay
Coyle loves Lancashire, doesn't he?j

Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn.

Where next? Preston or Wigan?

He's already been at Wigan haha. Short odds on Preston next.

Quick Reply

Latest