The Student Room Group

Maths Degree without FM?

Scroll to see replies

I know people who have applied and got into Oxford for maths without FM simply because our school does not offer it.
Reply 21
Most good Uni's will want additional maths… that's 18 units.… they might not specify will you will stand out and have an extremely competitive application
Original post by SeanFM
I think that, if you want to do it, it is worth self studying it (to AS, at least) - I did so in Year 13 :h: and it paid off. You can sit STEP as an alternative (for some unis, others require both STEP and FM) so... up to you. Some universities don't list it as a requirement :h:

You defo can learn FM AS over the summer. Heck, I'm learning (FP1-3, M2) over the summer, which is all I'll need from FM A level. (+/ some bits from M3 if I even get time over the summer)

:work:, :work:, :work: , :work:

^ get the lyrics. :laugh:

Original post by Zacken
London Met for example.

I saw another uni not sure if it was greenwich that asked you to have a 'C' in A level maths to do maths at uni. :wtf: :shot:

To quote them "80 points from A level Maths" ... that's a 'C' grade right?? :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
You defo can learn FM AS over the summer. Heck, I'm learning (FP1-3, M2) over the summer, which is all I'll need from FM A level. (+/ some bits from M3 if I even get time over the summer)

:work:, :work:, :work: , :work:

^ get the lyrics. :laugh:

I saw another uni not sure if it was greenwich that asked you to have a 'C' in A level maths to do maths at uni. :wtf: :shot:

To quote them "80 points from A level Maths" ... that's a 'C' grade right?? :erm:

:eek4: M3 :lol:

I found that the key ones (for my course) that were helpful to know where FP1-3, D1 (a few bits), S2-4 (only some bits from that) and a tiny bit of M1 too.

I get the lyrics :tongue:
Original post by Glib
Can you study maths at university without further maths A level. I never really thought about a maths degree before but as the years gone on I've enjoyed maths more and more. I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

No, you probably cannot do maths at most universities- some will allow non-FM students to apply but those aren't usually the best universities. What career do you want to go into? Maybe that career can be achieved through a different degree...
Nottingham for instance does not ask for FM.
Original post by Trapz99
No, you probably cannot do maths at most universities- some will allow non-FM students to apply but those aren't usually the best universities. What career do you want to go into? Maybe that career can be achieved through a different degree...

LSE maths&econ doesn't require further maths that's a pretty good university.
Original post by SeanFM
:eek4: M3 :lol:

I found that the key ones (for my course) that were helpful to know where FP1-3, D1 (a few bits), S2-4 (only some bits from that) and a tiny bit of M1 too.

I get the lyrics :tongue:

I'm assuming you're more of a stats person since I'm guessing you prefer stats modules over mechanics modules. :confused:
Original post by Trapz99

This is false.. You don't need FM in most cases, only the top 5-8 Maths departments will have any sort of FM requirement - even then, it's a stretch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

But you don't need FM for Maths at Oxford and I reckon that Oxford is quite a good uni 🤔
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I'm assuming you're more of a stats person since I'm guessing you prefer stats modules over mechanics modules. :confused:

Yes.. much more straightforward and easier to self teach than mechanics, and the exams can't throw anything extremely weird at you.
Original post by Middriver
LSE maths&econ doesn't require further maths that's a pretty good university.

Original post by Princepieman
This is false.. You don't need FM in most cases, only the top 5-8 Maths departments will have any sort of FM requirement - even then, it's a stretch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Espero247
But you don't need FM for Maths at Oxford and I reckon that Oxford is quite a good uni 🤔

I'm guessing that these unis would probably still be biased towards someone who does FM or STEP since this shows that they have a better aptitude for maths. the only reason they don't list it in the entry requirements is because not all schools offer the subject.
Reply 32
Original post by zXcodeXz
I've never seen a university that offers a maths degree without further maths.

Most RG universities and others with a good Maths department do not require FM although some of them do recommend it (and offer a lower grade if you do have it). For example Cardiff, Sheffield, Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Leicester, UEA and Bristol.

Original post by biglad2k16
I'm guessing that these unis would probably still be biased towards someone who does FM or STEP since this shows that they have a better aptitude for maths. the only reason they don't list it in the entry requirements is because not all schools offer the subject.

Most of them state that they do not really care on whether or not you're doing FM or STEP, as long as you show interest in Mathematics as well as have the ability to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
Most RG universities and others with a good Maths department do not require FM although some of them do recommend it (and offer a lower grade if you do have it). For example Cardiff, Sheffield, Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham, Glasgow, York, Leicester, UEA and Bristol.

Most of them state that they do not really care on whether or not you're doing FM or STEP, as long as you show interest in Mathematics as well as have the ability to do well.

Oh ok thanks! :smile:
I don't know if this is the case now, but when I was looking at universities, I noticed that most universities said that Further Maths was desirable, and helpful to an application, but not completely essential. Though the entry requirements were high, I think most universities wanted an A or higher in Maths.

As I said nowadays it may be different and that FM may well be a requirement. But even so, there will be universities out there that don't require FM for Maths.
Original post by kkboyk
Most RG universities and others with a good Maths department do not require FM although some of them do recommend it (and offer a lower grade if you do have it). For example Cardiff, Sheffield, Leeds, Lancaster, Nottingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Leicester, UEA and Bristol.

Lancaster is not a RG university nor does it have a good Maths department.
Reply 36
Original post by Glib
Can you study maths at university without further maths A level. I never really thought about a maths degree before but as the years gone on I've enjoyed maths more and more. I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

Further maths is infact not necessary to study at a good university, my brother is in the final year of a maths degree at Manchester and he did not do Further Maths or STEP
Reply 37
Original post by stevey396
Lancaster is not a RG university nor does it have a good Maths department.

Hence why at the beginning I said "and others with a good Maths department". How comes its not a good Maths department, and what do you define as 'good'?
Original post by SeanFM
Yes.. much more straightforward and easier to self teach than mechanics, and the exams can't throw anything extremely weird at you.

This is why stats is usually the side dish :tongue: can confirm, learnt S1 in 1/10 the time it took for M1.
Original post by zayn008
Most good Uni's will want additional maths… that's 18 units.… they might not specify will you will stand out and have an extremely competitive application

I think most applicants will have 9-12, not 18...

Quick Reply

Latest