The Student Room Group

Places that teenagers can do volunteering

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niteninja1
i had no experience work at waitrose

Do they take 16 year olds? How much did they pay you?
Original post by ___Sophie___
I'm 15, I will be 16 in November.

I did some volunteering in a salvation army charity shop as part of my bronze dofe. I didn't enjoy it much.

I would like to do some other form of volunteering that perhaps makes more of a difference to peoples lives and looks more impressive on a CV.

I'm halving difficulty finding anywhere online so if anyone has any ideas or links they could give me that would be very helpful.

You could try looking on the DO-IT.org website they have volunteer opportunities, but also volunteering with Girl-guiding looks really good on CVs and UCAS applications (or so I'm told) I volunteer with the rainbows and honestly it's amazing no week is the same making it really fun and constantly different
Do they take 16 year olds? How much did they pay you?

Yes £7.52 an hour plus yearly bonus last year 10%of total income. Example including overtime I earn £100 between January 31st and January 31st so I would get 10£ bonus if I earned as overtime an extra 10£ making it £110 I would get £11.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes 7.52

Per hour? Thats pretty good
Original post by IWishIWasAWizard
You could try looking on the DO-IT.org website they have volunteer opportunities, but also volunteering with Girl-guiding looks really good on CVs and UCAS applications (or so I'm told) I volunteer with the rainbows and honestly it's amazing no week is the same making it really fun and constantly different

Ok thanks i will look at that Website. Not too sure about girl guiding I know a couple of people who volunteer with the rainbows and I used to be in Brownies when I was younger and didn't particularly enjoy it but thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 25
I volunteered at a hospital (the royal free)
Yes £7.52 an hour plus yearly bonus last year 10%of total income. Example including overtime I earn £100 between January 31st and January 31st so I would get 10£ bonus if I earned as overtime an extra 10£ making it £110 I would get £11.

That sounds really good. Is it competitive to work at Waitrose? How many hours did you work per week?
That sounds really good. Is it competitive to work at Waitrose? How many hours did you work per week?

I do 15 contract some do as little as 8 however there is usually o/t
Original post by rym4n
I volunteered at a hospital (the royal free)

Thanks. It would be good to do something like that but I dont want to do anything medicine related but thanks anyway :smile:
I do 15 contract some do as little as 8 however there is usually o/t

So if you work 15 hours a week then you earn £112 a week yeah? That is really good, might apply there then when i'm 16 thanks :h:
I volunteered in a charity shop for a year for my bronze DofE. I was only supposed to do 3 months but I stayed. Its really helped me to get a part time job while I'm at school because I have experience of working in a shop and it shows I'm committed. I also did some volunteering in a cat shelter for a bit. That was fun but hard work sometimes
So if you work 15 hours a week then you earn £112 a week yeah? That is really good, might apply there then when i'm 16 thanks :h:

however I also work most Sundays for 4 hours which is time and a half (11.28 per hour). However new starters don't get time in a half (really old people get double time (15.04 an hour)) and new starters do not get a paid break I get 15 minutes every 4 hours and 30 minutes after 6.
Original post by rosieridleyx
I volunteered in a charity shop for a year for my bronze DofE. I was only supposed to do 3 months but I stayed. Its really helped me to get a part time job while I'm at school because I have experience of working in a shop and it shows I'm committed. I also did some volunteering in a cat shelter for a bit. That was fun but hard work sometimes

Ok thank you :smile:
however I also work most Sundays for 4 hours which is time and a half (11.28 per hour). However new starters don't get time in a half (really old people get double time (15.04 an hour)) and new starters do not get a paid break I get 15 minutes every 4 hours and 30 minutes after 6.

Ok thank you very much, will definitely try to apply there if any jobs in the nearby Waitrose come up :smile:
Yeah I know it won't help with my university applications, I want to do languages. I am planning on volunteering abroad next summer so if I find somewhere that I can volunteer where one of my languages is spoken then I guess that would look good.

I'm thinking of volunteering for my CV and also to do something worthwhile that makes a difference to others. It will be a better use of my free time in my opinion.

Sure, if you have the time. And it sounds like you have a clear plan which actually improves your uni chances. It's hard to get into languages in terms of volunteering though. Maybe you could find an office which has a focus on their multicultural department or international relations and volunteer there.
Original post by EllainKahlo
Sure, if you have the time. And it sounds like you have a clear plan which actually improves your uni chances. It's hard to get into languages in terms of volunteering though. Maybe you could find an office which has a focus on their multicultural department or international relations and volunteer there.

Yeah thanks I'll look into it :smile:
There is a website called Volunteer Now. You type in your area and scroll down all the different activities and see what comes up.
Original post by markova21
There is a website called Volunteer Now. You type in your area and scroll down all the different activities and see what comes up.

Seems to be only for Northern Ireland but thanks anyway :smile:
Seems to be only for Northern Ireland but thanks anyway :smile:

Is it? Oh,sorry. My 19 year old son did a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care and is just about to finish the first year of a H+SC HND. He has worked as a Support Worker at an alcohol and drug rehabilitation centre, as a Nursery Assistant with two groups of three and four year old children, as a kitchen assistant at an elderly people's home and from February at a primary school as a classroom assistant with P3 and P4 children. But what he really wants to work at is in retail. So he is going to apply to local charity shops to get some retail experience and then apply for a job to tide him over the summer. But all of the work experience he has done is because of the BTEC courses he has done.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending