The Student Room Group

not another religious thread

this time, with a question

why do people fast?!

i just dont get it, why would a god want their followers to go hungry for the sake of themselves?

Scroll to see replies

Its supposed to be a simulation of the poverty in the world. To see how the less fortunate struggle. And also a time of practicing control in all aspects of life.

It does have some good intentions, but I personally find a lot of things arbitrary.
Original post by shawtyb

why do people fast?!

i just dont get it, why would a god want their followers to go hungry for the sake of themselves?

discipline?!
Reply 3
Original post by BristolFresher15
Its supposed to be a simulation of the poverty in the world. To see how the less fortunate struggle. And also a time of practicing control in all aspects of life.

It does have some good intentions, but I personally find a lot of things arbitrary.

i guess that makes sense.
i thought it was about repenting :/
1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.
When i fast it makes me appreciate everything i have, it has given me an insight to how it's like living in poverty.
Original post by shawtyb

why do people fast?!

Help the rest of the world with the slowly developing food problem
Original post by shawtyb
i guess that makes sense.
i thought it was about repenting :/

That's also supposed to be part of it. The practicing control part includes repenting for things that you sometimes do in regular life. A lot of my friends stop smoking and drinking during this time, which I find very silly. But it could even be things like a short temper etc.
what about those little children who are starving to death :frown: fasting isn't a HUGE deal
Reply 9
Original post by noticemesenpai
When i fast it makes me appreciate everything i have, it has given me an insight to how it's like living in poverty.

good reason, do peoples reasons behind this vary?

That's also supposed to be part of it. The practicing control part includes repenting for things that you sometimes do in regular life. A lot of my friends stop smoking and drinking during this time, which I find very silly. But it could even be things like a short temper etc.

why is it very silly?
Reply 10
It's just to realize the hunger of poor people who don't have much to eat and fasting is just a way of solidarity with them!
Reply 11
Original post by fatima1998
what about those little children who are starving to death :frown: fasting isn't a HUGE deal

what does fasting mean in terms of what u cut out?
Reply 12
Original post by Aimen.
It's just to realize the hunger of poor people who don't have much to eat and fasting is just a way of solidarity with them!

i do that regularly then :/
Original post by fatima1998

What?....

Original post by shawtyb
good reason, do peoples reasons behind this vary?

why is it very silly?

Everyone has a reason to fast, my friend she doesn't fast because she feel like she needs to whilst I'd rather fast due to my own reasons.
(edited 7 years ago)
for the bants
Reply 15
Original post by noticemesenpai
What?....

Everyone has a reason to fast, my friend she doesn't fast because she feel like she needs to whilst I'd rather fast due tomy own reasons.

can i ask what?
Original post by shawtyb
why is it very silly?

Because drinking is supposed to be a cardinal sin. They think stopping then and repenting is actually going to work. But if Islam was true, they'd be making it worse, it would essentially be a play on such a god.
Reply 17
Because drinking is supposed to be a cardinal sin. They think stopping then and repenting is actually going to work. But if Islam was true, they'd be making it worse, it would essentially be a play on such a god.

cardinal sin?
Original post by shawtyb
can i ask what?

Ah, well i want to fast to appreciate everything i have in life to be honest. I've got a lot compared to people living in poverty.
Reply 19
Original post by shawtyb
i do that regularly then :/

I appreciate that! x)

Quick Reply