The Student Room Group

not another religious thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by noticemesenpai
Ah, well i want to fast to appreciate everything i have in life to be honest. I've got a lot compared to people living in poverty.

decent reason
what is lent, is it the same?
Reply 21
Original post by Alien Warrior
1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.

I would comment on the reliability of your source but thats besides the point. It is forbidden for us to fast in ill health so if that statistic is true then those poor people misunderstood their religion.
Original post by shawtyb
cardinal sin?

Just meant that its supposed to be very bad. (Drinking alcohol, but I'm sure you got that)
Reply 23
Original post by Aimen.
I appreciate that! x)

mostly because i cba or forget to eat :/
Reply 24
Original post by BristolFresher15
Just meant that its supposed to be very bad. (Drinking alcohol, but I'm sure you got that)

iv got a glass of wine right now...
1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.

Interesting, especially since you are not meant to fast if it causes harm to yourself. For one to be dehydrated enough to die, they must have experienced serious headaches, dizziness and fatigue before dying. These are definite signs that one should break their fast for the sake of their health and

These people died because they went to extremes to keep their fast.

And Allah says in the Quran, extremists are doomed.
Original post by shawtyb
iv got a glass of wine right now...

Then you're apparently a blasphemer going to hell :teehee:
I thought it was to understand the problems that starving people go through daily. They still eat anyway just at a certain times. I do think it should be an optional thing.
Reply 28
Original post by shawtyb
decent reason
what is lent, is it the same?

i think that's giving up one thing like "i'm giving up chocolate for lent" so you don't eat chocolate for the entire duration of lent but fasting in ramadan is giving up food and water from sunrise to sunset every day for a month
Original post by Nayzar
I would comment on the reliability of your source but thats besides the point. It is forbidden for us to fast in ill health so if that statistic is true then those poor people misunderstood their religion.

They weren't ill when they started the fast. Going hours without drinking in hot countries can kill you very quickly.
Reply 30
Original post by shawtyb
mostly because i cba or forget to eat :/

Lol you aren't doing it for poor people man!
It's all about intentions, why not give out a few days to those needy ones by either fasting or giving out some charity?
Reply 31
Original post by BristolFresher15
Then you're apparently a blasphemer going to hell :teehee:

nice and hot :colone:

Original post by loveleest
I thought it was to understand the problems that starving people go through daily. They still eat anyway just at a certain times. I do think it should be an optional thing.

but people starving dont get the luxury of being able to eat at certain times, they starve round the clock...

Original post by z33
i think that's giving up one thing like "i'm giving up chocolate for lent" so you don't eat chocolate for the entire duration of lent but fasting in ramadan is giving up food and water from sunrise to sunset every day for a month

oh right, i thought it was to do with the easter bunny :/
Reply 32
Original post by loveleest

hm i guess it's forced privilege check

but if you are unwell/ travelling/ on your period/ it harms you then you're exempt from fasting :3

i quite like it tbh - got a summer beach body weight loss routine built into my religion :rofl: jkjk
Reply 33
They weren't ill when they started the fast. Going hours without drinking in hot countries can kill you very quickly.

doesn't matter what they felt like at the start - if at any point they feel unable to carry on they can break it

Original post by shawtyb

oh is it - dunno i'm only saying what ive heard from friends xP
Original post by shawtyb
this time, with a question

why do people fast?!

i just dont get it, why would a god want their followers to go hungry for the sake of themselves?

It's just to appreciate the small things in life, like food, and food deprivation is the best way.

It's to feel what being in poverty is like.

And scientific research has shown it has some really cool effects, like it can help prevent certain illnesses.

It's also really spiritual. You get to contemplate more on life and your actions if you don't have to worry about food. And food is kind of a big distraction if you ask me.
Original post by z33

but if you are unwell/ travelling/ on your period/ it harms you then you're exempt from fasting :3

i quite like it tbh - got a summer beach body weight loss routine built into my religion :rofl: jkjk

I might join the fast for that reason tbh lol
Reply 36

It's solidarity man! Don't do it if you don't feel bad for the poor guys who die! Nobody actually forces you but imagine yourself in their place, others would do same to you!
Reply 37
Original post by z33

why on your period?
doesnt pregnancy get included in the exemption list?

Original post by z33
doesn't matter what they felt like at the start - if at any point they feel unable to carry on they can break it

oh is it - dunno i'm only saying what ive heard from friends xP

i do like the easter bunny! :biggrin:
Reply 38
People already answered the question but why does it bother you so much, that's what's interesting...
Original post by shawtyb
nice and hot :colone:

but people starving dont get the luxury of being able to eat at certain times, they starve round the clock...

Yes I know that, but it is to have some sort of idea what starvinh people go through

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending