The Student Room Group

Is this an allowed combination of Units for Futher Mathematics?

A level Maths (AQA) C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2
A level Futher Maths (Edexcel) FP1 FP2 S1 S2 S3 D2.

Edexcel granted the board transfer but was planning to do D1. Teacher changed it a the last minute due to a problem with my autistic class mate and D1 is three weeks and I have five other exams with severe learning difficulties (I get 50% extra time due to severity ) one of which is my C4 resit clashing with D1. So I really want to drop D1 and not do it but the last thing I want is to get a U on results day for a disallowed combination.
Reply 1
Original post by Midgeymoo17

Edexcel granted the board transfer but was planning to do D1. Teacher changed it a the last minute due to a problem with my autistic class mate and D1 is three weeks and I have five other exams with severe learning difficulties (I get 50% extra time due to severity ) one of which is my C4 resit clashing with D1. So I really want to drop D1 and not do it but the last thing I want is to get a U on results day for a disallowed combination.

That Further Maths combination is fine :smile:
Reply 2

I'm pretty certain you can't do D2 without D1
Original post by Ayman!

You certain img can not in straight maths the rules for Futher can and do vary.
Reply 4
You certain img can not in straight maths the rules for Futher can and do vary.

You might want to contact the board. I'll be tagging someone with more knowledge regarding this.

@tiny hobbit
Original post by Ayman!
You might want to contact the board. I'll be tagging someone with more knowledge regarding this.

@tiny hobbit

Thanks I was going to get the exams officer to check tomorrow. I just really do not want to do it.
Reply 6
Original post by Ayman!

Isn't this only for regular Maths A Level? I thought it was different for FM.
Reply 7
Original post by PhyM23
Isn't this only for regular Maths A Level? I thought it was different for FM.

For Edexcel, you cannot have a module cashed-in to your final grade without having a grade for a previous module in either the same session or a previous session. For example, I could not obtain a grade in mathematics if I were to do S1 and M2 as my applied modules. C1-4, S1, M1 for Maths and FP1-FP3, M2, M3, S3 for FM is also not valid because you do not have an S2 grade. It could very well be different if you shift from one board to another, but I don't think it is.

Somewhat irrelevant, but a friend of mine tried to do Further Maths A level without an A level in Maths only to not get a grade in Further Maths even though he cashed in the qualification; this was because he didn't meet the Maths prerequisite.
Reply 8
Original post by Ayman!
For Edexcel, you cannot have a module cashed-in to your final grade without having a grade for a previous module in either the same session or a previous session. For example, I could not obtain a grade in mathematics if I were to do S1 and M2 as my applied modules. C1-4, S1, M1 for Maths and FP1-FP3, M2, M3, S3 for FM is also not valid because you do not have an S2 grade. It could very well be different if you shift from one board to another, but I don't think it is.

Somewhat irrelevant, but a friend of mine tried to do Further Maths A level without an A level in Maths only to not get a grade in Further Maths even though he cashed in the qualification; this was because he didn't meet the Maths prerequisite.

Ah okay. Admittedly I didn't think about this when answering the question (I just saw the '2' for 'D2' and thought it was fine). Thanks for the info though and my apologies for being wrong.
Original post by Ayman!

I would be wary of this advice, whilst my exams officer has contacted Edexcel directly for the answer which we will not get till next week, she has already had a response from an Edexcel C2 and FP1 Principal Examiner which says the exact contrary. You can cash D2 with out a grade in D1 provided it is not used in Mathematics and only in Further Mathematics. So doing D2 and not D1 must mean that D2 is used in Further Maths and cannot be moved. However this has no effect on me due to exam board change.

Which in part fits your illustration perfectly because there are constraints on the applied units that can be used in Mathematics but these do not apply to Further Mathematics hence the can be any combination of 4 - the only prerequisite is successful completion of Mathematics.

Please note the specification at no point says that D2 is actually dependent on successful completion of D1- it states knowledge is assumed to be assimilated in this order.

As I state I will get a response from Edexcel probably tomorrow they are quite swift- they considered my application for more extra time and gave an answer with in 2 working days.

The exact response by the Senior Edexcel Examiner:

"The Further Maths qualification requires FP1, FP2 and ANY 4 applications units and thus D2 can be used towards aggregation without the need for D1. The only requirement for the 4 applications units is that they are not used as part of the Maths qualification."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

Awesome! :borat: Let us know what they say.

Quick Reply