The Student Room Group

E.U Leave or Remain: limiting E.U migration to the U.K

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by james813
The government has said ideally they would cut immigration to below 100,000 (and I think they would know their intentions better than you) which can only be done outside the EU.

At the moment we are turning away skilled engineers and doctors from the commonwealth because of the influx from the EU. Once we leave, the majority of our immigrants would be those contributing a lot more money to the British economy.

The government is saying it wants to cut immigration but for political not economic reasons and it won't anyway, its lies.

Why should an EU migrant affect a non EU migrant? Keeping out one to admit another makes no sense if both can benefit the economy. That's just the sort of argument morons swallow because their brains are addled by propaganda from foreigners like Murdoch and can't think straight.

The NHS is so desperate for staff its actively going to places like the Philippines to recruit more nurses so this keeping out non EU migrants due to too many EU migrants is BS.

Just think for yourself, do get sucked in by propaganda.
Original post by Maker
The government is saying it wants to cut immigration but for political not economic reasons and it won't anyway, its lies.

Why should an EU migrant affect a non EU migrant? Keeping out one to admit another makes no sense if both can benefit the economy. That's just the sort of argument morons swallow because their brains are addled by propaganda from foreigners like Murdoch and can't think straight.

The NHS is so desperate for staff its actively going to places like the Philippines to recruit more nurses so this keeping out non EU migrants due to too many EU migrants is BS.

Just think for yourself, do get sucked in by propaganda.

I don't know whether you are "trolling" or just ignorant. The reason we reject non-EU migrants is firstly because we can legally, and secondly to limit immigration somewhat we need caps on non-EU migrants because of such a massive amount from the EU, which we HAVE NO CONTROL OVER.

EU workers certainly do benefit the economy, but a lot of them from Eastern European countries have lived under communism and now have failing economies due to the euro. So large numbers are moving here and driving wage compression, and are largely unskilled meaning they don't benefit the economy as much as some we could accept elsewher. So you are right that most immigration helps the economy, but it also has social and economic problems.
I just think we should control our borders - I have nothing against any immigrant and if I was one of them I'm sure I would try to move here too.

Hope I've educated you a little. Maybe next time you think you are a whole group of people have no case at all, you should do a bit of research.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
My point was some people vote remain because they think no immigrants will come here again.

Immigration is predicted to be the same, in or out.

Surely you mean Leave, not Remain?? But that's not a serious argument, a tiny proportion of people might possibly think that.

If we do vote out, we will be able to control immigration. The descision on whether or not to use them controls will be based on who we elect in 2020.
Reply 63
I don't know whether you are "trolling" or just ignorant. The reason we reject non-EU migrants is firstly because we can legally, and secondly to limit immigration somewhat we need caps on non-EU migrants because of such a massive amount from the EU, which we HAVE NO CONTROL OVER.

EU workers certainly do benefit the economy, but a lot of them from Eastern European countries have lived under communism and now have failing economies due to the euro. So large numbers are moving here and driving wage compression, and are largely unskilled meaning they don't benefit the economy as much as some we could accept elsewher. So you are right that most immigration helps the economy, but it also has social and economic problems.
I just think we should control our borders - I have nothing against any immigrant and if I was one of them I'm sure I would try to move here too.

Hope I've educated you a little. Maybe next time you think you are a whole group of people have no case at all, you should do a bit of research.

I can stop eating because I can but that does not mean going hungry is good for me is it?

The more immigrants there are, the more money this country gets and we need to end austerity that affects the poorest the most. Wage compression is a minor issue and more than offset by the lower prices from lower wages. Higher wages increases inflation that again affects the poorest the most. I don't know why you are so keen to increase prices and makes things worse for those you are suppose to defend.

The social problems are caused mainly by racists and xenophobes, most of them never go near an immigrant and have no idea what they are like or even talked to one and get their ideas from biased newspapers. Why should I pander to those sorts of people?
Migration of ordinary labourers is a superficial issue, the actual issue is the migration of business, the attempt to avoid fair competition by moving business to areas where there are no laws regulating working conditions and trade unions to bargain, this results in the exploitation of those people, the inferior production of products for consumption, and decimation of local industires due to not being able to compete with firms that support repealing workers legislation.
Original post by Maker
I can stop eating because I can but that does not mean going hungry is good for me is it?

The more immigrants there are, the more money this country gets and we need to end austerity that affects the poorest the most. Wage compression is a minor issue and more than offset by the lower prices from lower wages. Higher wages increases inflation that again affects the poorest the most. I don't know why you are so keen to increase prices and makes things worse for those you are suppose to defend.

The social problems are caused mainly by racists and xenophobes, most of them never go near an immigrant and have no idea what they are like or even talked to one and get their ideas from biased newspapers. Why should I pander to those sorts of people?

You clearly don't live in the real world, where everyday, people are feeling the effects of low wages, and in some areas most people can't speak English. If you want to call them "racists and xenophobes" to distance yourself from real problems then fine; but it's not going to persuade any of them to vote remain. I'm done arguing.
You clearly don't live in the real world, where everyday, people are feeling the effects of low wages, and in some areas most people can't speak English. If you want to call them "racists and xenophobes" to distancye yourself from real problems then fine; but it's not going to persuade any of them to vote remain. I'm done arguing.

Well, you can either have low wages or expensive goods. Either way poor people are going to continue to be poor. Voting leave isn't going to save them.

And in "some areas most people can't speak English" is made up.
Original post by George VI
Migration of ordinary labourers is a superficial issue, the actual issue is the migration of business, the attempt to avoid fair competition by moving business to areas where there are no laws regulating working conditions and trade unions to bargain, this results in the exploitation of those people, the inferior production of products for consumption, and decimation of local industires due to not being able to compete with firms that support repealing workers legislation.

Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, you can either have low wages or expensive goods. Either way poor people are going to continue to be poor. Voting leave isn't going to save them.

And in "some areas most people can't speak English" is made up.

Wait has Juncker started celebrating?

[video="youtube;XPgiI46FCDU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgiI46FCDU[/video]
Original post by KernowAlex
Eurosceptics suggest that leaving the E.U shall entail a reduction in immigration; Euro supporters suggest that leaving or staying in the E.U shall make no difference given that we could sign agreement arrangements, similar to the likes of Norway and Switzerland, that could allow immigration to the U.K to continue at current levels, or could be limited through placing the same restrictions on them as are placed on non E.U migrants.

Could leaving the E.U affect immigration? If so, in what way? Would staying in the E.U affect immigration levels? If so, in what way? What do you believe shall be the best solution, either staying or leaving, to the immigration problems you think exist, and why?

EU immigration would be reduced, because naturally people are going to be less inclined to move here if we make it harder for them to do it.

Although I don't really understand why anyone would consider that a good thing. EU immigrants keep this economy alive.
If we wish to be part of the single market we have to allow free movement just like Norway or Switzerland do. My beef about immigration is that tomorrow, we could prevent 150,000 non EU migrants coming to this country. But we don't... Or can't. One can only conclude that immigration control is more complex or difficult than first thought. Also, if we leave, the border at Calais could come back to the UK meaning illegal immigrants and asylum seekers will have to be dealt with here. And once they are here, as we know, it is not straight forward to send them home.
Original post by ByEeek
If we wish to be part of the single market we have to allow free movement just like Norway or Switzerland do. My beef about immigration is that tomorrow, we could prevent 150,000 non EU migrants coming to this country. But we don't... Or can't. One can only conclude that immigration control is more complex or difficult than first thought. Also, if we leave, the border at Calais could come back to the UK meaning illegal immigrants and asylum seekers will have to be dealt with here. And once they are here, as we know, it is not straight forward to send them home.

We would starve to death if we did not let migrants in. The seven poles that feed me at EAT in central london - If they were not there the queue would go round the block and by the time I got anywhere near the front I would need to head back .

Whatever happens we need the people - we have WAY WAY too many elderly, and infirm in the UK. We need as many young and fit young people as we can get (Within reason). The country would go splat , big time, without them.
But then again, i suspect that is what the OUT side want, revolution and destruction. Its often that way with the old, if they are going to die they want to take all the young with them - that was possibly the cause of WW1.
All students should be voting to leave, if we stay in europe it will mean even more powers lost to an undemocratic E.U. Chinese students fought and died to have a say as did our ancestors this is a once in a lifetime decision for yours and your childrens future ,IT IS OUR ONLY HOPE.
[video="youtube;UTMxfAkxfQ0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0[/video]
Original post by dazzler182
All students should be voting to leave, if we stay in europe it will mean even more powers lost to an undemocratic E.U. Chinese students fought and died to have a say as did our ancestors this is a once in a lifetime decision for yours and your childrens future ,IT IS OUR ONLY HOPE.

I don't know I think the drift is the reverse.
One of the main freedoms is the freedom of MOVEMENT.

But also localism is the main aim of the democratic process nowadays. People want an iceland type of democracy where the local parliament is so small you probably know your local MP down the pub. That is why the SNP are so popular.

The drift of the EU is towards LOCALISM. Even France has embraced decentralisation. The UK is about the only major western state that still has a CENTRALISED government controlling all. The EU drift is towards local control - hence the rise of the SNP and federal france. A vote of "NO" is a vote for centralised London control - probably of the worst sort.
(edited 7 years ago)
Won't staying in the Eu increase competitions for jobs etc in the near future? As it will be easier for people from Eu countries to enter.
Original post by Capeking
Won't staying in the Eu increase competitions for jobs etc in the near future? As it will be easier for people from Eu countries to enter.

The majority of our immigrants come from outside the EU, but a much bigger proportion of immigrants from inside the EU are skilled. A lot of the jobs being filled by EU immigrants are jobs we just don't have enough people to fill - the NHS is in serious need of more doctors and nurses, but we don't have enough of them.

If people are really worried about job competition, they should be focusing more on immigration from outside the EU, because that's where we let in most of our unskilled workers - even though we already have full control over who we let in.
Why do people want to vote in!? What a wasted vote! We have a chance to really make a difference here for Britain and for future generations who will suffer in agony if you vote stay.
Just don't be a gullible sheep and follow the brain washing stay propaganda you see on TV and on the news.
If you vote stay you will be hated by future generations because you would have got them into the mess.
A vote for remain would mean CHAOS, RAPE, FINANCIAL DECLINE, DICTATORIAL RULE BY POMPOUS CAREER POLITICIANS AND A SPREAD OF TERRORISM THROUGHOUT THE UK. Now why on earth would anyone vote stay?
Original post by JordanL_
The majority of our immigrants come from outside the EU, but a much bigger proportion of immigrants from inside the EU are skilled. A lot of the jobs being filled by EU immigrants are jobs we just don't have enough people to fill - the NHS is in serious need of more doctors and nurses, but we don't have enough of them.

If people are really worried about job competition, they should be focusing more on immigration from outside the EU, because that's where we let in most of our unskilled workers - even though we already have full control over who we let in.

And Germany has let a load of immigrants into their country so soon they will get EU passports so they can come to the UK and rape and bomb us all. Yay.
Reply 79
Original post by cookie123456789
And Germany has let a load of immigrants into their country so soon they will get EU passports so they can come to the UK and rape and bomb us all. Yay.

Where do I get a EU passport?

Quick Reply

Latest