The Student Room Group

not another religious thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BristolFresher15
Because drinking is supposed to be a cardinal sin. They think stopping then and repenting is actually going to work. But if Islam was true, they'd be making it worse, it would essentially be a play on such a god.

Not really no. You can't exactly guarantee forgiveness especially with that thought ^^^ in mind.
Reply 81
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
I thought stupidity had a limit... That was until I saw some of OPs posts

got a f****g problem!?!!?
i dont know about this stuff which is why i ****ing ask!
Original post by z33
there's prayer calendars x3

Spoiler

Why are there times for 'midnight'? I'm guessing it's different prayer times in Shia Islam?
Reply 83
Original post by shawtyb
but what if there homeless and you just give them a bunch of flour? they cant do much with it

so u just pray where u stand?

3am? do you lot not sleep?! f**k that!
yous pray alot! im sure he wouldnt have forgot if u only do it once a day?

- i said people who were hungry not homeless xD they can mix it with water = bread dough, it doesn't have to be flour could be dates, rice, whatever
- no when it goes off you find a place to pray asap and pray there
- it's literally like 2 minutes to pray and then you can go back to sleep m8 - it's only 3am during summer and you fast during summer anyway so you'd be up eating anyway. during winter months it's like 7am or whatever
... right
Reply 84
Hey guys, good to see that people are curious but I just wanted to clear a few things up. Essentially what happens in Ramadan is that you abstain from eating, drinking, having sex, etc from sunrise (fajr prayer) to sunset (maghrib prayer).
One of the main reasons why Muslims fast is, as mentioned, to feel for those living in poverty. Thus there is a big emphasis in Ramadan to be charitable and do what they can to help the unfortunate (including giving donations).
Another main aim of Ramadan is to, in a sense, restore your discipline and 'slap you straight'. By not being able to eat and drink for a certain period of time, you end up having a lot more time to think and reflect on your life, in hopes of coming out of Ramadan a more sincere and disciplined person. Some people also use this time to give up bad habits, like smoking.
As for the '1000s of people dying in hot countries from fasting', I live in Qatar (a desert) and no news of that has happened. Islam makes it clear that you shouldn't fast if: you're on your period, you're sick (or in a state where staying for prolonged hours of no food + water will affect you), you're diabetic, you have an eating disorder, you're a child, you're old, or if you're travelling. If you happen to live in a place where fasting is particularly difficult because of the time between sunrise and sunset (like in some Scandinavian countries last year where it lasted for 20 hours), you have the option of fasting according to the timings of Saudi Arabia.
Islam is quite accommodating, so if you have a valid reason why you can't fast then it's totally fine.
Original post by shawtyb

ah, helpful :smile:
like food banks?

3am? do you lot not sleep?! f**k that!
yous pray alot! im sure he wouldnt have forgot if u only do it once a day?

so everything prior to that would have been a waste?

Yeah it is very helpful.

We do sleep. And believe it or not, waking up at that time is amazing. Especially watching the sky.
I wake up at that time for school anyways so it's not a problem for me at all lol

It would be a waste if you ate early knowingly. If it was an accident, you're excused from sins.
Because God is All-Forgiving and Most-Merciful.

Like even if during the day, you forgot you were fasting and made yourself a sandwich and ate it, but realised later,
all you need to do is rinse your mouth and continue fasting.
Because forgetfulness is a normal human trait and you're forgiven as long as it was an accident.

Not if you did it on purpose though lmao. You'd be sinful then.
Reply 86
Original post by champ_mc99
Why are there times for 'midnight'? I'm guessing it's different prayer times in Shia Islam?

yeah we shias pray 3 times a day
so we pray the morning
and instead of splitting afternoon and late afternoon up we pray them consecutively
and instead of splitting evening and night we pray those consecutively

midnight marks the end of the time you had to pray the evening/night prayers, and it also marks the time you'd pray 'the prayer of the night' which is entirely optional. There are many optional prayers - 5 is just the compulsory ones. There are pre main prayer prayers, there's night prayers and morning prayers and prayers for different things. Prayers for dead relatives, prayers just for extra points and stuff.
Reply 87
I don't think CT can get fired for stating the obvious..

ooooo 2savage4me can't deal bai x_x
Reply 88
Original post by z33
- i said people who were hungry not homeless xD they can mix it with water = bread dough, it doesn't have to be flour could be dates, rice, whatever
- no when it goes off you find a place to pray asap and pray there
- it's literally like 2 minutes to pray and then you can go back to sleep m8 - it's only 3am during summer and you fast during summer anyway so you'd be up eating anyway. during winter months it's like 7am or whatever
... right

so when do u get a chance to sleep if u eat throughout the night? surely this would mess up your sleep pattern?

Original post by ad98
Hey guys, good to see that people are curious but I just wanted to clear a few things up. Essentially what happens in Ramadan is that you abstain from eating, drinking, having sex, etc from sunrise (fajr prayer) to sunset (maghrib prayer).
One of the main reasons why Muslims fast is, as mentioned, to feel for those living in poverty. Thus there is a big emphasis in Ramadan to be charitable and do what they can to help the unfortunate (including giving donations).
Another main aim of Ramadan is to, in a sense, restore your discipline and 'slap you straight'. By not being able to eat and drink for a certain period of time, you end up having a lot more time to think and reflect on your life, in hopes of coming out of Ramadan a more sincere and disciplined person. Some people also use this time to give up bad habits, like smoking.
As for the '1000s of people dying in hot countries from fasting', I live in Qatar (a desert) and no news of that has happened. Islam makes it clear that you shouldn't fast if: you're on your period, you're sick (or in a state where staying for prolonged hours of no food + water will affect you), you're diabetic, you have an eating disorder, you're a child, you're old, or if you're travelling. If you happen to live in a place where fasting is particularly difficult because of the time between sunrise and sunset (like in some Scandinavian countries last year where it lasted for 20 hours), you have the option of fasting according to the timings of Saudi Arabia.
Islam is quite accommodating, so if you have a valid reason why you can't fast then it's totally fine.

best answer here lol thanks :smile:

Original post by Marzy-Sama
Yeah it is very helpful.

We do sleep. And believe it or not, waking up at that time is amazing. Especially watching the sky.
I wake up at that time for school anyways so it's not a problem for me at all lol

It would be a waste if you ate early knowingly. If it was an accident, you're excused from sins.
Because God is All-Forgiving and Most-Merciful.

Like even if during the day, you forgot you were fasting and made yourself a sandwich and ate it, but realised later,
all you need to do is rinse your mouth and continue fasting.
Because forgetfulness is a normal human trait and you're forgiven as long as it was an accident.

Not if you did it on purpose though lmao. You'd be sinful then.

cool thanks!

I don't think CT can get fired for stating the obvious..

Hahahahh. HAHAHH. I was going to give you a serious reply but I was always told not to argue with stupids

maybe you should give up being a **** next time it comes around
Original post by z33
yeah we shias pray 3 times a day
so we pray the morning
and instead of splitting afternoon and late afternoon up we pray them consecutively
and instead of splitting evening and night we pray those consecutively

midnight marks the end of the time you had to pray the evening/night prayers, and it also marks the time you'd pray 'the prayer of the night' which is entirely optional. There are many optional prayers - 5 is just the compulsory ones. There are pre main prayer prayers, there's night prayers and morning prayers and prayers for different things. Prayers for dead relatives, prayers just for extra points and stuff.

What are pre main prayers? And i thought you said there are 3 compulsory but then you say 5?
Reply 90
Original post by shawtyb
so when do u get a chance to sleep if u eat throughout the night? surely this would mess up your sleep pattern?

well there's naps, and yeah but it's summer anyway and tbh it works better in your favour cos then you can sleep at 3am and wake up at 1pm to pray so you'd have slept half off it away
Reply 91
What are pre main prayers? And i thought you said there are 3 compulsory but then you say 5?

5 are compulsory
we pray in 3 different sessions but sunnis split every session separately
it would be like 2 ruk'ahs before you pray afternoon or something
Original post by Alien Warrior
1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.

Another dumb thing said by the TSR moron.
Original post by z33
5 are compulsory

Oh ok. Are the pre main ones to an intercessor or something?
Original post by shawtyb

best answer here lol thanks :smile:

cool thanks!

maybe you should give up being a **** next time it comes around

No problem mate
I hope our answers have enlightened you
And given you what you were looking for
Original post by z33
5 are compulsory

I don't get it.
Why would you pray three times if the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) used to, and also taught us to pray five times a day...?
Reply 96
Oh ok. Are the pre main ones to an intercessor or something?

is that when someone prays on behalf of someone else? no but there are prayers like that if you wanna pray for someone else
Reply 97
I don't get it.
Why would you pray three times if the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) used to, and also taught us to pray five times a day...?

omgosh we are praying 5 times a day
we're doing it in 3 sessions tho
cos afternoon and late afternoon (dhuhr and asr) are basically at the same time so we pray them consecutively instead of waiting in between
same with maghrib and isha
Original post by z33
omgosh we are praying 5 times a day
we're doing it in 3 sessions tho
cos afternoon and late afternoon (dhuhr and asr) are basically at the same time so we pray them consecutively instead of waiting in between
same with maghrib and isha

Ohhh right
sorry lol
I misunderstood
It's basically combining then
like sunnis do when travelling and stuff huh?
Reply 99
Ohhh right
sorry lol
I misunderstood
It's basically combining then
like sunnis do when travelling and stuff huh?

yupp
yeah i guess xP when we travel we only do 2 rik'ahs for every prayer :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending