The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: How many marriages end in divorce in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
of course :h:

You Christian for real?

Wow, I never saw you as willfully ignorant.
Original post by Supersaps
As a Catholic also, I'd certainly there's massive disconnect between modern society and the Catholic Church. Change is definitely necessary.

However, it is modern society that needs to change to the Church's values, not the CC changing to modern society's.

The Church has been around for 2,000 years, modern sexual teaching has been around for 50 and I think its consequences have been obvious for all to see:

1 in 4 people in our society is mentally depressed, around 1 in 2 of our marriages end in divorce, 1 in 4 children grow up without fathers.

Modern society can keep its 'values'

SS

(McManus S, Meltzer H, Brugha T, Bebbington P, Jenkins R (eds) (2009). Adult Psychiatric Morbidity in England 2007:, http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2015-01-28#lone-parents)

You do realise that religion is just mass organised social conditioning & another means of enforcing conformity and social order?

In plain english, religion is just another way to control the ignorant masses.

Hate to break it you lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
Thank god my mum divorced my father he was such a useless scumbag.

Uh yeah but why would she get married to him in the first place without knowing his true character?

In most cases in real life, no one is without blame. I suspect there was some degree of oversight or willful ignorance on her part.
Because marriage is many things. Including, the foundation of a functional society.

If you want your children to be healthier, wealthier & happier, the best way to do that is to have a father at home. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; ASEP Issue Brief: Information on Poverty and Income Statistics. September 12, 2012, Source: Hofferth, S. L. (2006). Residential father family type and child well-being: investment versus selection. Demography, 43, 53-78.)

And the best way to have a father at home is for men to be in committed marriages.

With the breakdown of marriage, comes the breaking of children. If you break your children, you get a messed up society. We are reaping the consequences of our broken society everyday.

Obviously, there are cases where parents need to separate and live apart when it's an abusive situation but even then I don't think you should get divorced. You made your vows and you should keep them no matter what. Otherwise what's the point of making them?

SS

agree with you about children doing better when father is present, but you dont need marriage to make you be a good father to your kids.

Its quite sad actually, that it's actually really the fear of financial devastation from divorce that keeps a lot of men locked up in marriages.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll ask a question back.

What's the point of a vow that you can break when things get difficult?

You are being quite extreme. You are basically saying people shouldnt make mistakes, and if they do, they shouldnt be allowed to resolve those mistakes.
Marriage is for fools :bath:

If you invest enough time, money, emotion and everything else into someone that you feel marriage is appropriate, you aready are exposed enough
(edited 7 years ago)
42%? 48%?

Back in the not too distant past, I always found the gay people shouldn't get married because it would destroy traditional marriage to be a really confusing argument. Looking at the divorce rate, heterosexuals have already destroyed traditional marriage.
(edited 7 years ago)
I couldn't wait till tomorrow… it's 56%
Original post by Nidhoggr
lol mate, you can literally find the answer in 1 second on google.

I know, that's how I found it :lol: It's not just about the stat but the discussion behind it, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
reported :h:

have a nice day

Is it really necessary to report me? I'm not the one that wants to stop the prevention of domestic violence by not allowing divorce.
Reply 50
Original post by Nidhoggr
Uh yeah but why would she get married to him in the first place without knowing his true character?

In most cases in real life, no one is without blame. I suspect there was some degree of oversight or willful ignorance on her part.

Yeah but he was cold!
Divorce rates are declining which is likely to be because people now wait longer to get married both in terms of age and length of engagements.
Did you actually read what I wrote?

..."but even then I don't think you should get divorced. You made your vows and you should keep them no matter what"

Clearly you can't read. That's the dumbest thing I've read today
Original post by Sternumator
Divorce rates are declining which is likely to be because people now wait longer to get married both in terms of age and length of engagements.

Well not sure about divorce %s , but you are seeing fewer divorces because less people are getting married.
Original post by Lawliettt
..."but even then I don't think you should get divorced. You made your vows and you should keep them no matter what"

Clearly you can't read. That's the dumbest thing I've read today

It's dumb to suggest you should stick to a vow? Surely that's the definition of a vow? That's just calling a spade, a spade. Your definition of a vow makes a vow just a set of nice words you say on a wedding day.

If you're not going to stick to it, don't make it. Simple. But let's not have any of this half-arsed nonsense about vows that you're able to break when your spouse does something wrong.

Judging by the responses on this thread, it should come as no surprise that the divorce rate is around 50%.
If people weren't allowed to get divorced, I wouldn't be here now. Both sets of parents parents were divorced and both moved and remarried.

It's also unfair on children for them to be stuck in a home where both parents are constantly fighting and generally unhappy, no?
The stats on this are quite varied, however going by the Office for National Statitics by the government, the stat is 42%. I'm aware some sources say about half do, so you can have a point if you said 48% too :wink:

Why do so many marriages breakdown? Should people wait longer to get married or try harder before getting a divorce?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
The stats on this are quite varied, however going by the Office for National Statitics by the government, the stat is 42%. I'm aware some sources say about half do, so you can have a point if you said 48% too :wink:

Why do so many marriages breakdown? Should people wait longer to get married or try harder before getting a divorce?

I honestly don't think people "rushing" into marriage is the major cause of the high divorce rate. Compared with previous generations, couples these days tend to have been together considerably longer AND be more likely to have cohabited prior to marriage, both of which should help! "Shotgun" marriages are also much rarer as having children outside of marriage is no longer something to be ashamed of. I was one of the quickest to get married in my group of friends; we got engaged after 3.5 years and married after 4.5 years together, having been living together for just over 2 years by that time.

I think the factors causing an increased divorce rate are many and varied. Off the top of my head, a few ideas are: -

Divorce is no longer stigmatised as it once was, so people are less afraid of being judged by society for splitting up.

Women have more rights and independence than they ever used to, so are both less likely to settle for poor treatment/being unhappy and know that they will be supported if they do leave. We have our own careers and aren't so afraid of being left with no money and no skills in the event of divorce.

Society as a whole has changed from the "stiff upper lip" mentality of the early 20th century, so people won't just tolerate a bad situation but will do something to try to change it.

The country has become less religious overall, so the pressure from the Church in favour of staying married is less.

People have become more educated and more mobile, so are more likely to meet more different people and experience different ways of life than before, which both opens our eyes to life and people outside our local community (allowing you to realise that certain "norms" really aren't ok!) and makes cheating easier.

Likewise, technology makes it easier to cheat.

It's dumb to suggest you should stick to a vow? Surely that's the definition of a vow? That's just calling a spade, a spade. Your definition of a vow makes a vow just a set of nice words you say on a wedding day.

If you're not going to stick to it, don't make it. Simple. But let's not have any of this half-arsed nonsense about vows that you're able to break when your spouse does something wrong.

Judging by the responses on this thread, it should come as no surprise that the divorce rate is around 50%.

Because life doesn't work that way. You make a vow based on how you're feeling at that time and how you THINK you'll feel in the future. Just like you can't know for sure that your best friend will still be that close to you in 50 years time, how will you know if your partner will still be in a loving relationship with you? Can't you see how ridiculous what you're saying is? Who cares about a vow you made when you weren't informed enough if you find out your partner is violent and abusive.

"Lol I'm going to continue letting him beat me because I pinkie swore that we would stay together back when I was 25 and thought he was a great human being!" It's not even all christians that are nutjobs. Even they condone divorces under special cases. The only nutjob is you.

And it seems like you're not very informed on the matter. Divorce rates are skewed by people who get divorced and remarry multiple times. Your stat doesn't mean if you get married there's a 50% chance of it not working out. But those who do divorce do it for the reasons I've said. The person you are in 10-30 years time will be significantly different from who you are today
Original post by Lawliettt
Because life doesn't work that way. You make a vow based on how you're feeling at that time and how you THINK you'll feel in the future. Just like you can't know for sure that your best friend will still be that close to you in 50 years time, how will you know if your partner will still be in a loving relationship with you? Can't you see how ridiculous what you're saying is? Who cares about a vow you made when you weren't informed enough if you find out your partner is violent and abusive.

"Lol I'm going to continue letting him beat me because I pinkie swore that we would stay together back when I was 25 and thought he was a great human being!" It's not even all christians that are nutjobs. Even they condone divorces under special cases. The only nutjob is you.

And it seems like you're not very informed on the matter. Divorce rates are skewed by people who get divorced and remarry multiple times. Your stat doesn't mean if you get married there's a 50% chance of it not working out. But those who do divorce do it for the reasons I've said. The person you are in 10-30 years time will be significantly different from who you are today

How's knocking down those straw men going for you? ^^

Perhaps you should audition for a spot as a flying monkey in the Wizard of Oz?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending