The Student Room Group

Are private school people judgey?

I'm going to a private school in September got Alevels on a full schorlaship and im so nervous

Got a few questions....though1. What are the people like? I mean I've stalked...rather ' investigated' a few on instagram but appearances can be deceptive??

2. Are people going to judge me for being in a full schorlaship? Do I tell them or not?

3. my family is working-middle class and I'm worried people will any potential friends like not want to come to my v.tiny house and turn their noses up?

4. Are people really judge-y about brands because I'm straight up high street??
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tnk191
I'm going to a private school in September got Alevels on a full schorlaship and im so nervous

Got a few questions....though1. What are the people like? I mean I've stalked...rather ' investigated' a few on instagram but appearances can be deceptive??

2. Are people going to judge me for being in a full schorlaship? Do I tell them or not?

3. my family is working-middle class and I'm worried people will any potential friends like not want to come to my v.tiny house and turn their noses up?

Hi,

I have been going to a private school, also on a scholarship, since year 7 and I am in year 11 now.

1. Most of my friends know I have a full scholarship, that doesn't affect what they think of me. But I have some friends who I know are on a full scholarship but they have only told their closest friends.

2. I can't really answer this one that well, I have only had one friends over to my house, we don't really go to each other's houses much but she was totally fine with it.

3. Most people do wear branded clothes at my school. I know some people who even only wear branded clothes, including underwear. I, myself, have never owned a piece of branded clothing, I never want to either, I don't see the point. Its totally fine everyone just does their own thing pretty much like any other school.
Original post by tnk191

You can ask me any other questions you have if you can think of any. Don't worry it will be totally fine. I am having the opposite problem both the schools I applied to next year are grammar schools and I have no idea what it will be like going from a private school to a state school even though they are grammar schools.
Reply 3
I go to a private school on a bursary even though my parents aren't well off at all and i wouldn't say anyones judgy or even posh. I guess it depends on the area the schools in and whether its a boarding school or not but i didn't have any problems. me and most my friends shop at primark lol though there is one girl who paid a personal shopper to find £1000 louis vitton shoes but everyone took the piss out of her aha. Even some of the rich kids are on scholarships and being on a scholarship just means you're smart so don't be ashamed of it :smile: How are people like at grammar schools because I'm moving to a grammar school for sixth form and worried everyone will assume I'm really posh and stuck up just because I came from a private school :s-smilie:
Well done you!

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The private school I went to was a lot more friendly than the local comp I went to!

The only thing that slightly intimidated me was going to some of my friends' houses cus they were fooking massive. Apart from that, just normal people! Be confident. It was the best few years of my life!
Reply 5
Original post by niv1234
You can ask me any other questions you have if you can think of any. Don't worry it will be totally fine. I am having the opposite problem both the schools I applied to next year are grammar schools and I have no idea what it will be like going from a private school to a state school even though they are grammar schools.

Grammar schools and normal state schools have the same dynamic so if you have any questions, I'm open . I've been repping state school my whole life. Honestly my friends are the most down to earth weirdest people and my best friend goes to the 5th best grammar school in the country and top in London where I live. She's the oddest nicest person you'll Ever meet and her friends from school are similarly the same. I have a friend of a friend who moved from a private school to a grammar school in year 9 and she settled in so well. She's more well off than her mates but really in their school nobody cares about that. The smartes people are the cool ones supposedly. She's smart though and beautiful so works in her favour.
Reply 6
Original post by niv1234

Grammar schools and normal state schools have the same dynamic so if you have any questions, I'm open . I've been repping state school my whole life. Honestly my friends are the most down to earth weirdest people and my best friend goes to the 5th best grammar school in the country and top in London where I live. She's the oddest nicest person you'll Ever meet and her friends from school are similarly the same. I have a friend of a friend who moved from a private school to a grammar school in year 9 and she settled in so well. She's more well off than her mates but really in their school nobody cares about that. The smartes people are the cool ones supposedly. She's smart though and beautiful so works in her favour

Thanks for replying btw!.
Yes.

t. ex private school student.
Reply 8
Original post by Supersaps
Well done you!

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The private school I went to was a lot more friendly than the local comp I went to!

The only thing that slightly intimidated me was going to some of my friends' houses cus they were fooking massive. Apart from that, just normal people! Be confident. It was the best few years of my life!

Thank you! From my instagtam hunts, they seem pretty friendly. True about the homes though, the pictures make it look huge
Reply 9
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

I have been going to a private school, also on a scholarship, since year 7 and I am in year 11 now.

1. Most of my friends know I have a full scholarship, that doesn't affect what they think of me. But I have some friends who I know are on a full scholarship but they have only told their closest friends.

2. I can't really answer this one that well, I have only had one friends over to my house, we don't really go to each other's houses much but she was totally fine with it.

3. Most people do wear branded clothes at my school. I know some people who even only wear branded clothes, including underwear. I, myself, have never owned a piece of branded clothing, I never want to either, I don't see the point. Its totally fine everyone just does their own thing pretty much like any other school.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Overall reposne seems for me not to worry so I will try not to. Fingers crossed for September.
Original post by ryanross
I go to a private school on a bursary even though my parents aren't well off at all and i wouldn't say anyones judgy or even posh. I guess it depends on the area the schools in and whether its a boarding school or not but i didn't have any problems. me and most my friends shop at primark lol though there is one girl who paid a personal shopper to find £1000 louis vitton shoes but everyone took the piss out of her aha. Even some of the rich kids are on scholarships and being on a scholarship just means you're smart so don't be ashamed of it :smile: How are people like at grammar schools because I'm moving to a grammar school for sixth form and worried everyone will assume I'm really posh and stuck up just because I came from a private school :s-smilie:

I am worried about that too, moving from a private school to a grammar school for sixth form.
Original post by tnk191
Grammar schools and normal state schools have the same dynamic so if you have any questions, I'm open . I've been repping state school my whole life. Honestly my friends are the most down to earth weirdest people and my best friend goes to the 5th best grammar school in the country and top in London where I live. She's the oddest nicest person you'll Ever meet and her friends from school are similarly the same. I have a friend of a friend who moved from a private school to a grammar school in year 9 and she settled in so well. She's more well off than her mates but really in their school nobody cares about that. The smartes people are the cool ones supposedly. She's smart though and beautiful so works in her favour

Thanks for replying btw!.

Ok thanks, what are the class sizes and the teaching like?
Because u have already decided 2 go, it seems a bit pointless mentioning it, but research has concluded that there is no benefit 2 going private post-gcse...

Having said that, I never even looked around private schools so I don't really know sh*t :biggrin:
Original post by tnk191

Private school pupils are well known for their snobbiness however it depends on how posh the area is. A lot of them grow up around middle class people where I live and they have a good tolerance of people of a lower class. However, do not fret for having no friends is better than having fake friends. That way you can dedicate your school hours to studying and making useful revision notes on lessons you've had rather than bitching about teachers with snobby, fake kids.
Also, never change your ways and personality for the people you're surrounded by, don't become snobby like them (if they are).
I hope it goes well, be optimistic and don't expect the worst. In the end, you're all students working to get a good grade in probably the hardest course of school.
Reply 14
Original post by ryanross

Hiya I'm reposting what i posted to @niv1234 who had the same question.

Grammar schools and normal state schools have the same dynamic so if you have any questions, I'm open . I've been repping state school my whole life. Honestly my friends are the most down to earth weirdest people and my best friend goes to the 5th best grammar school in the country and top in London where I live. She's the oddest nicest person you'll Ever meet and her friends from school are similarly the same. I have a friend of a friend who moved from a private school to a grammar school in year 9 and she settled in so well. She's more well off than her mates but really in their school nobody cares about that. The smartest people are the cool ones supposedly. She's smart though and beautiful so works in her favour.

Don't worry at all, half my primary school people went to grammar schools . I applied too but was a mark off..lol. they're all really nice people and as I said my best friend and and two other close friends go there. My best friend lets call her name is friends with the girl who moved from a private school to a grammar school at end of yr 9, lets call her mary, just told me everyone received everyone recieved mary as they would any other kid.. Of course some people didn't like her. BUt that's a case of personality clash not because she came from a private school .

My advice is don't be too flashy because if it's in a rough area people around that may go to schools nearby may single you out as the flashy kid. I'm from london so there are some rough areas however I imagine somewhere up Norfolk there might not be.

I would also say to be yourself. Sounds cliche bout don't try and be something youre not if you like try to act different or hood or whatever, you'll annoy people and they'll find a reason to hate you which may then be because of your private school ness.

Sorry this is so flippin long ..
Reply 15
Original post by niv1234
I am worried about that too, moving from a private school to a grammar school for sixth form.

Hiya, see my reply down the thread someone had the same question
Reply 16
Original post by BirdIsWord
Yes.

t. ex private school student.

How so?
Original post by tnk191
Hiya, see my reply down the thread someone had the same question

Thank you.
Reply 18
It honestly depends what private school you go to. This is because there are some which are really cool and others which aren't.

Having been to two private schools, my advice would be to only tell people you can 100% trust.I know this doesn't sound particularly nice but people will be able to tell how rich you are because of things such as how you dress, whether you can keep up with them in terms of spending if you go out and even simple things like what car you get dropped off in. At the school I was at everyone was literally in competition with each other and it was so pathetic. The people there were also so openly racist which also really annoyed me too.

To be honest, I completely hated my time at private school and deliberately misbehaved because my parents refused to send me to a state school for a number of years.
My school is nowhere near the poshest private school. I'm the only one that talks posh, everyone else has a neutral Midlands-ish accent. I would say about a third of children came from state primary schools, a third came from the junior school connected to our school, and a third from posh prep schools. The thing is - among the non-popular girls - no one really gives a cr*p whether you're posh or not posh or rich or poor. My friends are basically the nerdy kids, and a good half of us are on scholarship or bursary. I am myself. This has affected NOTHING - except to give me higher social standing amongst the nerdy kids! Scholarship doesn't mean you're poor, it means you're smart. Embrace that!
Alternatively, if you prefer to seek your friendships amongst the popular girls, prepare to be judged horrifically on whether you're wearing Jack Wills, whether your house is a mansion and whether Daddy has a jet plane and a villa in the Seychelles. The less brands, money and class you have, the lower social standing.
Further alternatively, if you wish to get in with the popular boys, all these things are completely irrelevant. To make friends among this set, you need a nice body, a lack of morals and something which we call 'banter'.
Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest