The Student Room Group

£350 Accomodation Deposit

Hello,

My university has allocated me my Accomodation but now I need to pay a £350 deposit in 14 days or I could lose it.

Any ideas?
Use your overdraft if you have a job? That way you wouldn't have to pay back any interest
your bank probably won't give you a student overdraft until you're registered at your university (I don't think anyway...), if you don't have a job or any means to make the money (e.g. selling things) then you will have to ask if any members of your family could lend it to you
Family or sell stuff or ask bank to give you a small overdraft if you dont have one. Credit card if pushed.
Don't have any family with money, can't get student bank account until July, could sell stuff but it'd take more than 14 days to make £350 and don't have a job. :tongue:
Reply 5
Man that sucks.... Try e-mailing/calling your uni to explain your situation (I'm assuming your birthday is in July?)
Original post by eden3
(I'm assuming your birthday is in July?)

Nah, but I tried to make a student bank account a couple of months ago for this but they said they can't do them until 1st July, so they just gave me an ordinary current account. Not sure if it has an overdraft or something though.
Reply 7
Original post by similarBlank
Nah, but I tried to make a student bank account a couple of months ago for this but they said they can't do them until 1st July, so they just gave me an ordinary current account. Not sure if it has an overdraft or something though.

Yeah definitely contact your bank and explain your situation if necessary.
Yeah. I was in this position when I was in my first year of university. Was too early in the year to have a student account with an overdraft and was not given enough time to get the deposit in to get a job and earn the money myself. My mum is skint so she couldn't help. I was really lucky in that my brother was able to spare the money for the deposit for me.

Have you talked to the accommodation providers about your situation? Some are more understanding and helpful than others and may allow you to make a small payment such as £50 until you get your overdraft. You could also try contacting the university and asking for assistance, some are more helpful than others and may "loan" you the money.

Other than that with that amount of notice and no help possible from family you're pretty much out of luck and may have to wait until you can earn the money or until you have an overdraft to arrange your accommodation and hope there is space left.
Easy. Drop out, get a job, and apply again next year.
Omg, I have to do the same :frown: But mine is £250. I need to pay by July
Original post by SophieSmall
Yeah. I was in this position when I was in my first year of university. Was too early in the year to have a student account with an overdraft and was not given enough time to get the deposit in to get a job and earn the money myself. My mum is skint so she couldn't help. I was really lucky in that my brother was able to spare the money for the deposit for me.

Have you talked to the accommodation providers about your situation? Some are more understanding and helpful than others and may allow you to make a small payment such as £50 until you get your overdraft. You could also try contacting the university and asking for assistance, some are more helpful than others and may "loan" you the money.

Other than that with that amount of notice and no help possible from family you're pretty much out of luck and may have to wait until you can earn the money or until you have an overdraft to arrange your accommodation and hope there is space left.

Yeah, I'll have to contact them about it and see if we can arrange something.

Original post by stevey396
Easy. Drop out, get a job, and apply again next year.

I didn't get this far just to drop out now because of £350. :tongue:

Original post by loveleest
Omg, I have to do the same :frown: But mine is £250. I need to pay by July

Sounds slightly better than my situation, lucky. :wink:
If you knew you were going to university, why didn't you start saving up some money beforehand? Most people have to pay deposits before a loan/student account can be obtained.
Original post by kendall2
If you knew you were going to university, why didn't you start saving up some money beforehand? Most people have to pay deposits before a loan/student account can be obtained.

It's hard to save when you don't have any money coming in to save. The little we do get covers our essentials. You could say 'well, you could've got a job'. Well, I did try to get one and was, obviously, not successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending