The Student Room Group

Why are people so upset about this harambes killing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mil88
Respectfully, if the Gorilla intended to do that, he would have. However, the fact is that he didn't and indeed was showing signs of protective behaviour.

A gorilla (most cases) only attacks as violently as you have suggested when threatened. This gorilla was certainly not threatened by a 4 year old child, if he was, everyone would have known.

Also, even if taking action is most appropriate, why not use tranquilizers, or distract him with bananas which is what another zoo did?

He wasn't threatened by the four year old, but by all the people shouting at him, and he certainly would have felt threatened if somebody shot a tranquilliser at him.

It's all very well all these armchair zoologists saying how they would have handled the situation, but the reality is the zoo keepers who are experts and who worked with the gorilla day in, day out decided the best course of action to minimise the risk to the 4 year old boy was to shoot the gorilla. It's amazing how many people question them from the comfort of their keyboards.
Well most people don't like animals being needlessly killed and this was a needless killing as if the parents had actually kept an eye on their kid it wouldn't have needed to have happened.

Oh and quite a lot of people who live in the countries these animals are native to actually DO care if they're killed.
Original post by James82
West Lowland Gorillas are omnivores, not herbivores.

They will still kill something they see as a threat or when they are agitated, not just because they want to eat it.

West Lowland Gorillas are herbivores as they are adapted to eating plat material as the main portion of their diet. Herbivores are not organisms which solely eat plat matter.

Your last point is correct. But a tiger would likely have more occasion to slay the intruding humans.
I'd choose the gorilla over the child any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by george-90
West Lowland Gorillas are herbivores as they are adapted to eating plat material as the main portion of their diet. Herbivores are not organisms which solely eat plat matter.

Your last point is correct. But a tiger would likely have more occasion to slay the intruding humans.

They are omnivores: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/lowland-gorilla/
Original post by sarkrista112
I'd choose the gorilla over the child any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be interested to hear what you'd say if it was you, or your child in that situation
Original post by James82
He wasn't threatened by the four year old, but by all the people shouting at him, and he certainly would have felt threatened if somebody shot a tranquilliser at him.

It's all very well all these armchair zoologists saying how they would have handled the situation, but the reality is the zoo keepers who are experts and who worked with the gorilla day in, day out decided the best course of action to minimise the risk to the 4 year old boy was to shoot the gorilla. It's amazing how many people question them from the comfort of their keyboards.

Ok I agree with the tranquilizer, but what about using a distraction and then someone retrieving the infant? This is has been used before in similar situations and worked, so I can't see why this couldn't be applicable.

What you have to realize is that this death could have been avoided, in fact the Gorilla (to my knowledge) didn't show any signs of anger rather protective behaviour, and yet the best course of action is to kill the animal?

It's also amazing how certain people aren't yet familiar with the notion of "questioning" other people's actions. There are far more trivial issues that are "questioned" but no, in this case, it's totally illogical to question those zoo keepers.

You sound like many religious people who don't want to question their leaders or scholars simply because they are much more "informed" and have more "experience".

Such drivel is rarely found.
Original post by intelligent con
Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.

People are upset that endangered animals are being killed due to humans being stupid and thoughtless. Everyone is so upset about the "stupid" *gorilla because a parent apparently ignored her child, long enough for him to slip away and go to a lot of trouble to get near the gorilla, which he had already expressed that he wanted to go into the enclosure to see it. There had been no issue for 38 years with children and this enclosure, it was the parents fault for not keeping a closer eye on her child or having him hekd by the hand.
As for Cecil the Lion, he was killed in his own habitat by a man who hunts for sport. It's one thing to defend yourself, it's another to go and hunt an animal for sport in it's own territory.
You'll also find that people that live in the countries when animals are in their natural habitats, the countries usually have designated parks for said wild animals, locals are well aware of where these boundaries are, and enter at their own risk.
As for your "Macdonalds and KFC" argument, chickens and cows are bred for that, just like dairy cows are bred to be milked, they aren't likely to run out of chickens and cows any time soon. A farmer can breed these animals. It takes more than that to try to bring back an endanger species.
It's a sad story but it does amaze me how certain man care more about animals than human beings lool fwp

The dietary classifications are not mutually exclusive. Western Lowland Gorillas have primarily herbivorous diets and are therefore herbivores.
https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/primates/facts/fact-gorilla.cfm

An omnivore may also be a carnivore simultaneously, either hypocarnivore or hypercarnivore.
http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/content/47/1/147.full
Original post by jamesj477
I'd be interested to hear what you'd say if it was you, or your child in that situation

It's a redundant speculation, but I'll answer anyway. a) I would never go into an enclosure - and even regarding this story, the child didn't simply waltz in, it took him several minutes to get his way through - yet no parent in sight. And b) I'd never have a child, and if for some insane reason I did, it wouldn't be so stupid.
Because it's an 'innocent' animal and he could have been tranqulised, however tranqulisers are NOT instant as shown in films and comics, they can take up to 20 minutes to kick in.

The video did not show the full extent of the rough play the gorilla was engaging in.

The boy's parents should have been watching him.

.. But if the child had died, there would be 10x more uproar. I'm sure the Zoo staff knew what they were doing when they shot the animal.
Bad parents tho
It's a redundant speculation, but I'll answer anyway. a) I would never go into an enclosure - and even regarding this story, the child didn't simply waltz in, it took him several minutes to get his way through - yet no parent in sight. And b) I'd never have a child, and if for some insane reason I did, it wouldn't be so stupid.

Fine. If you were in a situation like this, maybe you were on a safari and an elephant charged you, or a gorilla was threatening you, I'm sure you would think differently. Saying that you would never allow that or put your child in that particular situation is just a futile way of admitting that you do not have a good argument. It's just a hypothetical situation.
Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all, gorillas are not 'vicious animals'. They are herbivorous and pose no more danger to humans than a koala. That being said they are very large, and there was clearly a danger of injury to the child in this case, but that was largely because a troop of escaped hairless monkeys were shouting and screaming at the gorilla.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.

Why people who don't care about animal life care about other humans they will never meet is beyond me. If you have so little empathy as to think its OK to shoot animals for no good reason then why do you even care about your own species beyond family and friends? What kind of mental gymnastics does your brain do to justify such illogical compartmentalised thinking? Nazi Germany was one of the first countries in the world to introduce laws against cruelty to livestock, and yet they committed the Holocaust. And yet the same people who find that fact hard to comprehend somehow manage to commit exactly the same logical fallacy themselves, in reverse.
Original post by BristolFresher15
An objective view of the worth of one living organism compared with another, outside the perspective of a specific species.

yeah how do you measure worth
....This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion.....First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that....

There's a world of difference between killing a farm animal for food and killing a member of an endangered wild species for entertainment.
Fine. If you were in a situation like this, maybe you were on a safari and an elephant charged you, or a gorilla was threatening you, I'm sure you would think differently. Saying that you would never allow that or put your child in that particular situation is just a futile way of admitting that you do not have a good argument. It's just a hypothetical situation.

You can't even compare both situations, I am in their natural habitat, and thus I would take on the risk of such things happening. However, I know it is hypothetical, yet it is tainted by reality due to the nature of the individual e.g. it is an alien concept to imagine myself having a child. A more realistic thing for me imagine is being at a zoo and witnessing it happen, for instance if I witnessed this specific case. Call me 'morally' wrong but I would be more traumatized seeing the gorilla get shot than potentially seeing what it would do with the child.
You can't even compare both situations, I am in their natural habitat, and thus I would take on the risk of such things happening. However, I know it is hypothetical, yet it is tainted by reality due to the nature of the individual e.g. it is an alien concept to imagine myself having a child. A more realistic thing for me imagine is being at a zoo and witnessing it happen, for instance if I witnessed this specific case. Call me 'morally' wrong but I would be more traumatized seeing the gorilla get shot than potentially seeing what it would do with the child.

Why? I'm genuinely curious what you are thinking when you say something like that.
Why? I'm genuinely curious what you are thinking when you say something like that.

I don't think it's something I can adequately articulate here. It's just the way I'm wired. Don't get me wrong, I can and have had sympathy for a human being, however animals are more likely to pierce my cold dead heart. Misanthropic predispositions if you will.

Quick Reply

Latest