The Student Room Group

Extra Curricular HELP

Hey there, I'm interested in what sort of extra curricular's would make me stand out to potential universities... Any advice would be much appreciated! I currently do:
- Latin GCSE
- Playing the Flute & Piano
- Young Enterprise (business competition)
- Music Theory (Grade 5)
- Play for a local football team
And I completed a GCSE in statistics at age 12 to a grade B standard, all in the effort to appeal to universities. Thank you in advance!
Original post by Anon4012
Hey there, I'm interested in what sort of extra curricular's would make me stand out to potential universities... Any advice would be much appreciated! I currently do:
- Latin GCSE
- Music Theory (Grade 5)
And I completed a GCSE in statistics at age 12 to a grade B standard, all in the effort to appeal to universities. Thank you in advance!

UK universities aren't particularly interested in non-relevant extra curriculars. Particularly for academic courses.

What they do look for are super-curriculars - evidence that you've studied and demonstrated an interest in your chosen degree beyond the curriculum.

For vocational courses ECs might be more important but they still need to be relevant to the subject.

Don't do EC activities to "impress" universities - do them because they're fun or interesting and you enjoy them
Reply 2
Original post by anon4012
hey there, i'm interested in what sort of extra curricular's would make me stand out to potential universities... Any advice would be much appreciated! I currently do:
- latin gcse
- playing the flute & piano
- young enterprise (business competition)
- music theory (grade 5)
- play for a local football team
and i completed a gcse in statistics at age 12 to a grade b standard, all in the effort to appeal to universities. Thank you in advance!

age 12? What?
Reply 3
Original post by Divinchi
age 12? What?

Yeah, in year 8 I was offered the opportunity to do a GCSE in Statistics.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
UK universities aren't particularly interested in non-relevant extra curriculars. Particularly for academic courses.

What they do look for are super-curriculars - evidence that you've studied and demonstrated an interest in your chosen degree beyond the curriculum.

For vocational courses ECs might be more important but they still need to be relevant to the subject.

Don't do EC activities to "impress" universities - do them because they're fun or interesting and you enjoy them

Thank you very much!
- Latin GCSE
- Music Theory (Grade 5)

Maybe redo the statistics in GCSE to get a better grade not that a B isn't good but you could probably do better now.
Reply 6
That's an interesting choice, thank you, I've never thought of that!
Reply 7
Yeah, in year 8 I was offered the opportunity to do a GCSE in Statistics.

dam you must be clever af u going to Harvard uni?
Reply 8
Original post by Divinchi
dam you must be clever af u going to Harvard uni?

Trust me I'm not too smart XD As for university, Cambridge is a dream, but I think it'll stay a dream XD

Quick Reply

Latest