The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by grassntai
I was 4 raw marks off an A last year, and I got 44/50 for my coursework (I don't know what grade that is)

What units should I revise the content for the most? I learn best from doing essay plans but I might make some quick notes first. I'm gonna spend 12 hours a day this half term focusing on revision, will this do?

Okay so you got 64 UMS for your coursework then and I'll assume if you were 4 marks off an A last year you got around 150 UMS? So you've got 214 UMS currently so to get an A overall (which you'll need 320 UMS points for overall) you'll need to get 106 UMS in the exam (320-214) which I think is a strong A (around 26 in section A and 34 in section B). To get a B overall (which is 280 UMS) you'll need 66 UMS (280-214) which I think is a high D/ low C. :smile:

And I would focus on Weimar and Hitler's Rise to power. If you want to do one of the other ones also I'd go with WW2.

I worry that 12 hours a day will be counter productive. It will tire your brain out so if you do that make sure you do 1-2 hours revision then go for a walk around the block or something to get some fresh air, another 2 hours then make a drink and listen to some music for about 15 minutes, then another 2 hours etc etc. Don't try and cram and cram and cram because it won't work (at least it doesn't for me anyway)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eddso
Yes they will never ask two questions from the same unit so I would say it's perfectly fine to disregard 1933-45. I also won't be revising 1933-39 or 1900-1914 because I find them the most tedious and, therefore, challenging.

Some centres don't even teach both controversies nor do they teach WW2 so you will be fine :smile:

Perfect love a bit of strategic planning! Good luck 😊
Reply 42
Has anyone got a good essay on the final solution they could post? Much appreciated.
Reply 43
Original post by JWhizz
Has anyone got a good essay on the final solution they could post? Much appreciated.

I have one I did timed which got 27/30 which I can dig out and type up?
Reply 44
Original post by eddso
I have one I did timed which got 27/30 which I can dig out and type up?

If you did you would be an absolute hero, but that is quite long so if i gets in the way of other stuff your're doing dw
I've been told by my teacher to only revise three of the possible topics for section A and then choose one of the controversies. I'm planning on doing the popularity/efficiency of the Nazis but skim over the WW1 controversy just in case something happens in the exam. Will removing one of the possible topics for section A be risky even if I just skim over that section?
Reply 46
Original post by jojo10834
I've been told by my teacher to only revise three of the possible topics for section A and then choose one of the controversies. I'm planning on doing the popularity/efficiency of the Nazis but skim over the WW1 controversy just in case something happens in the exam. Will removing one of the possible topics for section A be risky even if I just skim over that section?

I think that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do - I'm doing a similar thing. I am going to revise heavily for Weimar, Rise to Power and WW2 for Section A and the WW1 controversy for B. Some colleges only teach one controversy and miss out one topic for section A anyway so you won't be hindering your chances in any significant way :smile:
Original post by eddso
I think that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do - I'm doing a similar thing. I am going to revise heavily for Weimar, Rise to Power and WW2 for Section A and the WW1 controversy for B. Some colleges only teach one controversy and miss out one topic for section A anyway so you won't be hindering your chances in any significant way :smile:

Thank you! I've chosen to keep the same topics as you for section A, I found The Second Riech dull and I just struggle to remember the little details for it.
I'm currently writing essays for the exam but am struggling on how to structure and what to include in the WW1 controversy question;

‘WW1 was born out of an aggressive German desire to solve their domestic problems and tensions’.How far do you agree with this opinion?

What would you include in the section for domestic problems and tensions? (Our teacher has not taught us well whatsoever and has just confused the whole class, we haven't even covered the final solution yet)
Reply 49
Original post by JWhizz

Not sure if this is helpful... It got 28/30
Reply 50
Guys my teacher reckons morale will come up...
Could everyone give an example on a question?
Reply 51
Original post by irisbest
Not sure if this is helpful... It got 28/30

Great. Thank you.
So wait for the section B wouldnt you just be able to plan an essay and walk into the exam with that plan and re-write it then?
And the same for the part A jus write a plan for these essays make sure you know them and remember them? or is there variations in the Questions or other questions that can be asked for part a that you would just need to learn all the content?
Reply 53
Original post by kosovo123
So wait for the section B wouldnt you just be able to plan an essay and walk into the exam with that plan and re-write it then?
And the same for the part A jus write a plan for these essays make sure you know them and remember them? or is there variations in the Questions or other questions that can be asked for part a that you would just need to learn all the content?

I think that is possible the second worst thing to do in preparation for this exam, after doing no revision at all.

I see in exmsiner reports all the time that students get marked down when it is clear they are just replicating a pre-planned essay because it inevitably lacks question focus.

History essay questions in particular are very particular with their wording so a remembered essay won't focus on the exact wording. Also, you are right in that they take a period and can ask a variety of different questions so just remembering one essay will not do.

With section B, you don't even know what the sources are so there's no way you can plan your answer beforehand.

I think you should know the content well enough in order to shape it to fit the question. If you understand the content then you will Be fine
Original post by eddso
I think that is possible the second worst thing to do in preparation for this exam, after doing no revision at all.

I see in exmsiner reports all the time that students get marked down when it is clear they are just replicating a pre-planned essay because it inevitably lacks question focus.

History essay questions in particular are very particular with their wording so a remembered essay won't focus on the exact wording. Also, you are right in that they take a period and can ask a variety of different questions so just remembering one essay will not do.

With section B, you don't even know what the sources are so there's no way you can plan your answer beforehand.

I think you should know the content well enough in order to shape it to fit the question. If you understand the content then you will Be fine

But if for the section a the same type of questions come up and you only need to use your Own Knowledge (OK) then shouldnt you be able to just remember example for each of these topics as its based on OK. Then for Section B again remeber your own knowledge for the Q you want to do and arrange your answer based on the sources and use the OK that fits in?
Reply 55
Original post by kosovo123
But if for the section a the same type of questions come up and you only need to use your Own Knowledge (OK) then shouldnt you be able to just remember example for each of these topics as its based on OK. Then for Section B again remeber your own knowledge for the Q you want to do and arrange your answer based on the sources and use the OK that fits in?

You should have your own opinion on each potential essay ie if you're doing causes of ww1 have your opinion on whether Germany were to blame and then you should be able to write your essay from that. You should go into the exam with an opinion, an interpretation which can form an essay, but not with a pre-written essay
Original post by eddso
You should have your own opinion on each potential essay ie if you're doing causes of ww1 have your opinion on whether Germany were to blame and then you should be able to write your essay from that. You should go into the exam with an opinion, an interpretation which can form an essay, but not with a pre-written essay

Yeah no I get that im just asking if it would be a good idea for you to revise by remembering OK for the questions which can come up so was weimar doomed from get go? For you to remember, PR system, Article 48 use (bruning), Right wing influence in key areas, Preident being elected every 7 years. then base you answer around these topics instead of reading the whole book and soaking up knowledge you dont need.
Original post by zikra98

Morale in what sense? What unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
I'm only revising for WW1 so you'll be absolutely fine :smile: just know it very very well because sometimes, instead of the general 'was German aggression to blame' question, they ask on specifics such as leaders and th Shlieffen Plan. I wonder if they could ask possibly about either German mobilisation, their domestic problems, or their involvement in the July crisis being at fault, if they choose to go with a specifics question?
Reply 59
Original post by zikra98

Possibly something like;

"The war seriously damaged the morale on the home front from 1939-45." How far do you agree with this view?

Quick Reply

Latest